News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

spyware and othe computer annoyances

Started by slavemarkira, December 27, 2005, 01:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slavemarkira

Damn all makers of spyware and adware and browser hijackers to each and every circle and version of Hell ever conceived!
Ons and Offs
Rabbithole
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?

Lilac

Perhaps we should set up a hijackthis thread in the U area?

It seems most large forums have them.

BigBlackGamer

Quote from: slavemarkira on December 27, 2005, 01:31:42 AM
Damn all makers of spyware and adware and browser hijackers to each and every circle and version of Hell ever conceived!

Running Microsoft's Anti-Spy, and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware usually keeps these annoyances down to a very low level.  Sometimes you have to start in Safe Mode if your system is thoroughly infected.

But I agree, people who write this stuff should be in prison.

ZK

Some people have even written programs that replicate itself and adapts with change.

Some of the spyware programs, the original creator hasn't touched it in such a while! It simply evolves and evolves.

Just like a pesky virus. >.<
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Natalie C. Barney

I had an auto-dialer spyware call a 900# to London and they charged me $50 (I refuted it). They seemed to blame me fior some other idiot doing something damned illegal. I think the government should REQUIRE all computers sold have free updatable spyware, antivirus and fire wall protection that is updatable for the life of the computer. A basic level at least! Hell you by a house or rent an apartment it comes with locks and doors why NOT PC's?

Fortunately I'm smarter this time and have free spyware from AOL, a firewall and antivirus from a reliable source online free (is a non-commercial version of each but good for basic protection) and am careful where I surf. I also son't open ANY e-mails unless I'm SURE where they originated from. Pretty sad these people have to hurt a good thing for everyone.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

slavemarkira

See, I take all those precautions too.  But they're always making newer and peskier programs to slip through.
Ons and Offs
Rabbithole
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?