RPG/JRPG What are you playing now?

Started by Oreo, November 27, 2015, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Mathim

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 04, 2016, 08:45:41 PM
Exactly. The 3x run speed I don't mind at all since that does help speed up battles and run around. The no combat one I am iffy on. The full health/mana/limit recharge is freaking stupid in my honest opinion which derrives again, any effort of earning an achievement since there are achievements that can be earned from beating the Weapons again which are all challenging fights, especially Ruby if you didn't go out blazing with material spam. Though I did see a funny video somewhere where someone beat Ruby with Enemy Skill material only, I think.

I saw one where it used only the 7777 feature. If I were in charge of remaking VII, I'd separate out the attack magic materia from the healing/status effect materias and create a full spectrum (it was missing orange from the primary and secondary colors it used) to create two different categories of magic instead of lumping it all together as green, and as a result add two new materia caves so there's one for each materia color, and they would have to be accessed by new chocobos (one underwater chocobo, and one flying chocobo) and to go along with this new color scheme, two new Weapons even harder than Ruby and Emerald. There's actually so much they could do to improve the scope of the existing game, it would make an entire essay. There's also no lava or fire type dungeon, they could do with one of those. And why do only two party members have triple AP weapons? Everyone should get one.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 04, 2016, 10:10:47 PM
I saw one where it used only the 7777 feature. If I were in charge of remaking VII, I'd separate out the attack magic materia from the healing/status effect materias and create a full spectrum (it was missing orange from the primary and secondary colors it used) to create two different categories of magic instead of lumping it all together as green, and as a result add two new materia caves so there's one for each materia color, and they would have to be accessed by new chocobos (one underwater chocobo, and one flying chocobo) and to go along with this new color scheme, two new Weapons even harder than Ruby and Emerald. There's actually so much they could do to improve the scope of the existing game, it would make an entire essay. There's also no lava or fire type dungeon, they could do with one of those. And why do only two party members have triple AP weapons? Everyone should get one.

Well the game is being broken up into parts, so lets hope that we do get new dungeons.  I like you're concept for the materia system, but lets face it. the system was simple and worked.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Mathim

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 04, 2016, 10:21:43 PM
Well the game is being broken up into parts, so lets hope that we do get new dungeons.  I like you're concept for the materia system, but lets face it. the system was simple and worked.

Exactly, this would simply take the system as it is and add to it. That way you'd have 4 Master materia instead of just 3, and there would have to be at least two more Mako reactors to visit for the additional Huge Materia (they could easily put one in or near Wutai, and one near Kalm.) Plus the way I have it set up, you only have 6 commands at most so your command window won't be cluttered until you choose one of them which opens them up (when you have too many you can't see your party's HP and such). I seriously disliked games like VI and IX because only one person could perform a certain task like thievery or swordplay skills. With VII the only decider for who was in my final party was their Level 4 Limit Breaks because anyone could do anything if they just had the right materia equipped, Limit Breaks were the only thing that differed. If it was a massive cumulative strike then they were the ones. That's why it was always Cloud, Barret and Cid. Why bother with an attack that hits all enemies once for, at most, 9999 damage when you could potentially hit every enemy several times for similar amounts of damage? There's just no comparison. Plus on single opponents it was at least 3 times more effective.

I know it's all just wishful thinking but they've had almost two decades to take suggestions. All my ideas would easily add 20 hours of additional sidequests.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Mathim on January 04, 2016, 10:40:25 PM
Exactly, this would simply take the system as it is and add to it. That way you'd have 4 Master materia instead of just 3, and there would have to be at least two more Mako reactors to visit for the additional Huge Materia (they could easily put one in or near Wutai, and one near Kalm.) Plus the way I have it set up, you only have 6 commands at most so your command window won't be cluttered until you choose one of them which opens them up (when you have too many you can't see your party's HP and such). I seriously disliked games like VI and IX because only one person could perform a certain task like thievery or swordplay skills. With VII the only decider for who was in my final party was their Level 4 Limit Breaks because anyone could do anything if they just had the right materia equipped, Limit Breaks were the only thing that differed. If it was a massive cumulative strike then they were the ones. That's why it was always Cloud, Barret and Cid. Why bother with an attack that hits all enemies once for, at most, 9999 damage when you could potentially hit every enemy several times for similar amounts of damage? There's just no comparison. Plus on single opponents it was at least 3 times more effective.

I know it's all just wishful thinking but they've had almost two decades to take suggestions. All my ideas would easily add 20 hours of additional sidequests.

Well there those that could multi strike single enemies such as Cloud's Onimslash, Yuffie's watchmallcallit, and Tifa had multi beatdown attack. Get them to hit for 9999 each and that is a lot of damage output to a single target.

Also, Cait Sith could one shot enemies. It is possible to use his limit break to kill Emerald(sea?) Weapon as I seen a youtube video involving that.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 04, 2016, 10:40:25 PM
I seriously disliked games like VI and IX because only one person could perform a certain task like thievery or swordplay skills.

Kind of the point of the class system, yes the classes were set, but they were still classes.

Mathim

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 04, 2016, 11:21:08 PM
Well there those that could multi strike single enemies such as Cloud's Onimslash, Yuffie's watchmallcallit, and Tifa had multi beatdown attack. Get them to hit for 9999 each and that is a lot of damage output to a single target.

Also, Cait Sith could one shot enemies. It is possible to use his limit break to kill Emerald(sea?) Weapon as I seen a youtube video involving that.

Most of the party has an attack like that, but only 3 have Level 4 Limit Breaks that are cumulative. I never liked Tifa's because it was too unreliable doing the slots, either you take the safe approach and lose the chance for a critical hit, or you miss altogether (her final attack has only one 'Yeah' so it's really all or nothing.) Cait Sith needed a level 3 and 4 Limit Break, he was totally cheated. I came up with ones I put in my ideas document but I can't remember them off the top of my head (I think one of them was a 3-card monte style thing to go with his gambling theme). I guess his ultimate death slot machine attack is as powerful as Selphie's The End from FFVIII. But get one wrong turn on the slot and it kills the party instead. I bet the enemy skill Death Force won't protect against it either, even though it's supposed to shield from sudden death attacks. Speaking of which, I hope they add enough enemy skills to bring it up to 36 instead of the 24 from the original. There's tons of great enemy attacks that could stand to be added to the list.

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 04, 2016, 11:45:21 PM
Kind of the point of the class system, yes the classes were set, but they were still classes.

Bad analogy. Final Fantasy 5 and Tactics had a true class system, anyone could be anything you wanted. If one person is stuck with one certain specialty skill set, that sucks if you really wanted to have them on the team for a certain battle, like if you wanted to steal a rare item from an enemy or boss or learn an enemy skill or something like that. The game isn't difficult enough that it's an issue but I always ended up with some characters at a way higher level than others because of it, and some of them you go for a really long time without, a tad frustrating if you prefer their personality whenever the game goes into an exposition scene.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on January 05, 2016, 08:28:02 AM
Most of the party has an attack like that, but only 3 have Level 4 Limit Breaks that are cumulative. I never liked Tifa's because it was too unreliable doing the slots, either you take the safe approach and lose the chance for a critical hit, or you miss altogether (her final attack has only one 'Yeah' so it's really all or nothing.) Cait Sith needed a level 3 and 4 Limit Break, he was totally cheated. I came up with ones I put in my ideas document but I can't remember them off the top of my head (I think one of them was a 3-card monte style thing to go with his gambling theme). I guess his ultimate death slot machine attack is as powerful as Selphie's The End from FFVIII. But get one wrong turn on the slot and it kills the party instead. I bet the enemy skill Death Force won't protect against it either, even though it's supposed to shield from sudden death attacks. Speaking of which, I hope they add enough enemy skills to bring it up to 36 instead of the 24 from the original. There's tons of great enemy attacks that could stand to be added to the list.

Bad analogy. Final Fantasy 5 and Tactics had a true class system, anyone could be anything you wanted. If one person is stuck with one certain specialty skill set, that sucks if you really wanted to have them on the team for a certain battle, like if you wanted to steal a rare item from an enemy or boss or learn an enemy skill or something like that. The game isn't difficult enough that it's an issue but I always ended up with some characters at a way higher level than others because of it, and some of them you go for a really long time without, a tad frustrating if you prefer their personality whenever the game goes into an exposition scene.

Um no it isn't a bad analogy, the classes were set.  International Job Zodiac for FFXII lets you pick your class but then you're stuck.  It is still a class type system, but like MMO's and quite a few other games, their classes are set.  Still a class type system.   And this conversation is off the topic of the thread anyways. 

Oreo

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 05, 2016, 12:11:57 PM
Um no it isn't a bad analogy, the classes were set.  International Job Zodiac for FFXII lets you pick your class but then you're stuck.  It is still a class type system, but like MMO's and quite a few other games, their classes are set.  Still a class type system.   And this conversation is off the topic of the thread anyways. 

True. I would rather keep this thread on the light side. BUT, I am very intrigued by the discussions of old FF games and things that could be made better if/when the games are remade. If someone wants to open a topic for that in On Topic please link me there so I can follow. ;D

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Oreo

Wow, Amazon Prime has just upped the ante. All hard copy pre-order games get a 20% discount at checkout. ;D

Drake Valentine

Tales of Zestiria.

Game honestly sucks in comparison to other Tales of titles.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Oreo

I was a bit let down by it too. It lacked the fun of the other games. I wonder what went wrong. Up until that one I was really loving the series.

Drake Valentine

What went wrong is

Involving Alisha/story

They cut her off part way through the game and then dump Rose in to fill her spot. It wasn't even that breathtaking of an experience. All of a sudden some random assassin with an affinity to become a 'shepard' and use similar power is pulled into the group, even the point leading up to that wasn't all that great. Not to mention the only way to get Alisha is through
DLC/story spoiler.
The DLC isn't that great for her. All she does is act spoilt, whiney, and moaning and complaining throughout the whole game of should she be a squire, a princess, a politician, blah-blah-blah. There doesn't really see to be a need to have her in the party, fighting and bitching with Rose and even there isn't any deeper connection to party beyond that. I was hoping Sorey and her may hit it off, but apparently he is gay for Mikelo.

Oreo

I didn't even go on to play Alisha's story because Trails of Cold Steel arrived and I was more interested in trying that.

Drake Valentine

Oreo

Sorry state. I hope the next one is better. I loved the weapon creation system in Graces. I loved the battle system in Xillia, and collecting the cats. ^_^ Most of all I loved the stories and surprises. That all seemed to be missing this time around.

Drake Valentine

Finally beat Disgaea 5, after playing off and on, think put bout 60+ hours in it, but that is from idle grinding, just finish story actually, not post game story.

This game after the ending feels like a major prequel.
Spoilers involving possible descendants/may ruin story elements

But with story's ending, makes me think this is more of a prequel; which with a certain character's ending hinting towards that he may be Lamington(sp) Why is this? No archangels were mention beyond the shoe in, plus they are out same height, same hair and eye color, even same voice.

I actually think Etna may be descendant from Seraphina and Laharl a descendant from Killia.  Of course, I doubt Kilia is Kirv-however Laharl's father name is spelt, but come on, look at them.

Seraphina and Etna are obviously the same with their love to flaunt their beauty and abuse prinniess, though Rozalin could be a descendant of Seraphina as well, given wealth, but not sure, don't believe it, always a possibility.

I think Overlord Zetta is descendant from Red Magnus.

Fenrich could be descendant from what's his face Wolf boy.

This leaves out handful of other protagonists.

Also it feels like Void Dark pretty much father Majins.

Hell there is even that Proto-Darkdeath which should be a given.

Not the mention most of the game is recorded as a Historian aspect.

Also, I don't consider DLC as part of the main story, that is just substories or paradoxes since the characters don't really fit in much of anything else in narrative with the main cast. 

Blythe

Going to be replaying Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Just for the Shivering Isles and Sheogorath. Man, I loved that part of the game. <3

ChefofDreams

My friend just bought me Fallout 4 because I told him I had no intention of buying or playing it because I had not played any of the previous ones and he wanted my help making a D&D of it, so now I am deep into that game and wondered where it was all my live. It also has given me a reason to play all the previous ones. And if people don't think those are RPG enough to be here, I am also playing elder scrolls online and skyrim, oblivion was a good one I played a bit of a while back. My favorite FF has to be 4,7, and 5 because I have played 3- whats the new one, with lightning? None of the MMO FF's and I have played tactics and many other FF off shoots. I love everything Fire Emblem because tactics + RPG = awemazing. I have played countless older RPG's and I just love the older mechanics, but RPG has been my favorite type of game, I and recently getting into shooters, racing, and a few other styles but that is for another thread ;)
Slowly it burns.

SinXAzgard21

Oreo

::) I need to try that as soon as I finish Trails of Cold Steel. I am close to the end...then again I got some new DLC for FF XIII 2 that is supposed to let me use Lightning or Snow after chapter 2 as game characters. Not sure how that is supposed to work, but I want to give it a shot.

ChefofDreams

I picked up Skyrim again, it calls me back to it every few months. Has any one tried it with unarmed attacks? I am playing a Khajiit unarmed fighter using healing magic and heavy armor. The heavy armor has a skill that lets you use your arm armors defense rating as its attack rating also, so plus the Khajiits fifteen unarmed strike damage makes it a pretty powerful combo so far. I figured if it starts lacking for damage I can always go to Riften and get the gloves of the pugilist, break them down at an enchanters table and use its effect on another gauntlet that is more powerful, I have already started to increase my enchanting so I can already do better enchanting then just the standard ten points the gloves will give you.
Slowly it burns.

SinXAzgard21

Twisted Crow

Making a new attempt at running through the Baldur's Gate games from BG1 through BG2:SoA... dunno about Throne of Bhaal. That expansion wasn't bad but I liked the SoA adventure better.

The Dark Raven

Thank you for the recommendation for here, Oreo!

I wanted to pass on one that has caught my interest lately, though it is a bit intense.  It's called Darkest Dungeon and is available on Steam (maybe other places?).  It is a typical dungeon crawl with the madness of Chthulu.  *cackle*

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.