The Hammonds, the Bundys, and The Malheur National Wildlife Refuge takeover

Started by Blythe, January 03, 2016, 06:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Far eyes on February 19, 2016, 12:47:40 AM
I have, and will never understand the US and its fetish with Militias. Its like they have a permanent hardon for some Red Dawn like fantasy scenario. And Jim Bob and Billy Joe want to be the heroes, never realizing they are in fact not.

I can comprehend wanting to own a weapon for protecting your home, i can even kind of follow the logic of open carry permits... i disagree but ok. I understand and think you should have the right to own weapons if you live in wilderness areas ware you could possibly need them. But it seems like for every sane one you get 20 of these fucknuts.

Actually, it looks like you understand their mindset very well.  I also agree with your second paragraph.  (My biggest disagreement with open carry is, in fact, your final sentence.)  I suspect that the ratio of 'sane ones' to 'fucknuts' is probably much higher, but the sane ones are generally very low-key about it, and the fucknuts are just so loud.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on February 19, 2016, 06:23:40 AM
Actually, it looks like you understand their mindset very well.  I also agree with your second paragraph.  (My biggest disagreement with open carry is, in fact, your final sentence.)  I suspect that the ratio of 'sane ones' to 'fucknuts' is probably much higher, but the sane ones are generally very low-key about it, and the fucknuts are just so loud.

That is pretty much the problem with all groups...ever... and why stereotypes and generalizations exist, (aside from making ti easier for people to insult eachother) because some asshole somewhere had to go and actually make it a thing.

The worst of humanity will always be the loudest and most violent part that we see. But we need to always remember the good parts and that not everyone is 100% of something. Not even 50%...its like 40% at the most. :P

Edit: Still the people who pull stuff like this have what's coming to them. There are other ways to be heard and when even other militia groups are calling you out and saying your wrong, you should really take a moment and wonder if itd be best to just give up to the boys in blue and not drag this out for the people who actually do pay their taxes.

Far eyes

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

TheGlyphstone

Wow. Worst timing ever for pandering to the voting base, really. And the minority base, at that.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Far eyes on February 19, 2016, 12:47:40 AM
I have, and will never understand the US and its fetish with Militias. Its like they have a permanent hardon for some Red Dawn like fantasy scenario. And Jim Bob and Billy Joe want to be the heroes, never realizing they are in fact not.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that, as there seems to be quite a bit of overlap between militias and Tenth Ammendment advocates, "county supremacist" thought, and even the Sovereign Citizens movement. There is an ideology at work here that's based on the believe that states (or even just counties) are the highest authority in the land, combined with a general mistrust of the federal government, and at least in some cases general anti-government conspiracy theories.

If you want to read up on these topics, this (and the article linked at the end of that page) might be a starting point: http://westernpriorities.org/2016/01/08/explainer-the-influence-of-county-supremacy-doctrine-in-the-oregon-standoff/ (I haven't read through it myself, yet.)

One good source for information (IMO) is the SPLC. An overview is here: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2014/land-use-patriots and the articles on Antigovernment Movements and the Sovereign Citizens here: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology should provide some useful background.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)