The Assassins of Eraia - Fantasy setting

Started by RedEve, July 01, 2012, 08:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

The Assassins of Eraia

The Kingdom of Eraia is in peril. After centuries of peace, the neighboring nation of Malyrano has invaded with unseen force and numbers. Beyond their huge army of cavalry and footmen, which outnumbers the Eraians own troops by three to one, they also can boast magically powered airships and giant stone warriors which are controlled by mages. Eraia’s old King Daeko sees the folly of trying to defeat their mighty army in the field after a few early skirmishes end with the Eraian troops completely and utterly decimated. Eraia’s only chance is to cut off the head of the beast, in this case the war lord Soresso, the young and vain prince of Malyrano, who defied his father’s wishes and rallied the armies to conquer Eraia.

King Daeko tasks his only daughter Idana with gathering a small group of skilled warriors and assassins, with the mission of going far behind enemy lines and get close enough to Soresso to kill the conqueror-prince, before he can capture and destroy all of Eraia.

I myself will play princess Idana. The rest of the slots are reserved for members of her band of assassins.
The allowed races for the Kingdom of Eraia are humans, half-elves and elves. I will limit the amount of elves and half-elves. They make up less than 5% of the total population. They can be slightly overrepresented amongst the assassins, but that still means no more than one or two allowed.

Character sheet:
[float=right][img]insert image url here[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b] (primarily focus on the skills they might possess as a warrior or assassins)
[b]Background:[/b]

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Roxy Rocket

(removed for now)

RedEve

This is a completely original fantasy setting.

Short outlay:

Humans and (half-)elves are the only two acceptable races. All Elves in Malyrano were persecuted to extinction hundreds of years ago. In Eraia, where there is more tolerance, a small minority of elves have survived to this day. In terms of magic, both Kingdoms practice it, only the Eraia brand of magic is much less powerful. Basically their powers are limited to some basic healing spells, some minor subterfuge tricks, ... The real powerful stuff is in the hands of the Kingdom of Malyrano. They have a guild of mages who have been studying the arcane arts for thousands of years. Hence the stone giants and flying ships.

And yes, this is something of a suicide mission, though obviously no one will have their character killed off without their prior permission. ;)

Roxy Rocket

(removed for now)

AKunoichi

What kind of kingdom is Eraia geographically? Is there any room on the map for orders of Hassassins or clans of ninjas?

And would the princess be interested in loyal citizens or shady mercenaries?

Vaulera

I have some interest in this, not sure too much what the assassins would be doing though.

Roxy Rocket

(removed for now)

RedEve

The assassins would be required to move through enemy lines, remain undetected when they can, fight some skirmishes when they must.

jilorbb

Is it possible for someone to play Soresso or someone else from the "other" side?

Vaulera

So they're not really assassins, they're more like a black-ops team, because assassins do assassinations. Why would they be going behind lines though?  What is their objective?

Veluux

Color me interested for one of the human spots. I'll leave the elf slot/s up for grabs in hopes the ladies take it/them. Nothing like a good exotic ass-kicking female to bring some energy to the group. ^.^

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

Lithium

Quote from: Vaulera on July 02, 2012, 02:18:56 PM
So they're not really assassins, they're more like a black-ops team, because assassins do assassinations. Why would they be going behind lines though?  What is their objective?

I think it may be something more along the lines of "13 Assassins", where they're still called assassins but don't necessarily operate in the typical ultra-stealth fashion.

RedEve

Quote from: jilorbb on July 02, 2012, 01:34:11 PM
Is it possible for someone to play Soresso or someone else from the "other" side?

No, the idea is for all of the PCs to be assassins.

RedEve

Quote from: Lithium on July 03, 2012, 02:26:35 AM
I think it may be something more along the lines of "13 Assassins", where they're still called assassins but don't necessarily operate in the typical ultra-stealth fashion.

That is a good analogy, Lithium. :)

Rachubka

Boo. Lithium and Vel need to get out of RPs I'm interested in. :P

Tentatively interested! I have ALL morning to think of something to contribute! I do feel like having a nap, though.

KnightNelson20

color me interested. might have a cs up later today.

RedEve

Name:Princess Idana of Eraia
Race:Human
Skills: Moderately skilled with the sword and the lance, excellent equestrian, sharp and quick thinker, shrewd tactician
Background:As oldest heir to King Daeko, she has been groomed from a young age to one day ascend to the throne. She had been trained in diplomacy and combat and taught in history, geography and military tactics from the day she could barely walk. She possesses a sharp mind and quick wit, but is sometimes prone to taking unnecessary risks. Her father was always a more careful sort, which lead to a few conflicts between father and daughter as she grew up. She was tasked with saving the kingdom, even though King Daeko loathed the idea of endangering his daughter and heir. However, there would be nothing left to save if she does not succeed in her mission.

Featherfall

Name: First-Blood Tenzei
Race: Human
Skills: Infiltration, Unarmed Combat, Swordsmanship with the Blood Moon Blade
(seen right)

Background: "Tenzei" is not a true name; it is merely the title of the generation of the warrior-cult Blood Moon Monks that he belonged too; First-Blood also implies where he ranked among them. The Blood Moon Monks are considered to be a dangerous band that are said to take in children, whether from the streets or their own cribs, and train them into the efficient hand-to-hand terrors, believing themselves divinely inspired by both the Spirits of the Moon and Violence. Their stated goal is to stand ready for, "The Coming", whatever that is. In function, they are little more than hired swords and assassins, those employed for public and brutal executions rather than subtle ones that could be passed off as natural causes. Naturally, it is illegal for the Blood Moon Monks to operate in Eraia, or anywhere for that matter, and naturally they do so anyway. First Blood Tenzei is a somewhat experienced warrior, having been part of the second most recent "graduation". He is guarded, sarcastic, and none-to-happy about being  Blood Moon Monk, being one of the children snatched from a crib, a fact not kept secret from him. Still, he feels like he has nowhere to go, and should Princess Idana wish a Blood Moon Monk to aid in her mad quest, she could do little better, and far, far worse than a First-Blood...

I hope this fits in with the theme you are trying to go for here. :-)

Vaulera

Well, our interpretation of assassin isn't actually that realistic. When we hear assassin, we think cloak and dagger, poison and discreet. But an assassin is just one who does assassinations. JFK was assassinated, same with John Lennon, but the assassin just shot them. The 13 Assassins were assassinating a particular target. I call us black ops, because we are infiltrating enemy lines, but I don't have the slightest idea as to what we will actually be doing, which is why I asked in the first place. So, I ask again. What will we actually be doing?

Nadir

Name:Irisandd Mott
Race:Half-elf
Skills: Throwing knives, dagger fighting, talking his way into beds and out of bad situations 
Background:Irisandd's mother was a whore in a rather infamous whorehouse in the city capital. It was there that Irisandd learnt to fight, from the half dozen guards that protected the whores from unsavoury clients, and also learnt to seduce from one of the older whores who had been a courtesan. He turned his skills to assassination when he found he could persuade almost anyone into leaving their guards behind and removing their own weapons and clothing with very little extra effort, and a lot more cash reward than simply whoring had offered. His luck, however, is questionable, as he was most neatly captured and jailed for his crimes, and was bound for the executioner's block had the sudden need for assassins not arisen.