News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Scourge of Shadowlore Keep (Councillors win!)

Started by Remiel, June 06, 2011, 03:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Final Tally, Day Six:

Aiden (8): Mithlomwen, Rhedyn, Moirae, Marguerite, Ryven, FoamWeber, Valerian, Beguile's Mistress
Ryven (1): Aiden

With Aiden all but confessing to being one of the monsters, the Council took little time in deciding his guilt.  One by one the ballots were cast, with the tension growing more and more palpable with each vote. 

"In the name of the King Gregorii the First," read the Lord Chamberlain, "the Council has condemned you to death, Duke Aiden.  Before God and man, may you face your death honorably."

But the Duke of Lothar had no intention of going quietly.  Snarling a curse, he transformed before their very eyes into a savage, ferocious werewolf--the alpha, in fact, of the werewolf pack!  The King's Guard moved to surround him, but he leapt among them, slavering and howling, lashing out with lethal claw and pointed fang.  Before the astonished and horrified eyes of the Council, the great monster disemboweled young Squire Thomas and then leapt upon brave Sir Enrico, tearing out the gallant knight's throat with one brutal bite.  The king's archers loosed their arrows and crossbow bolts, but the terrible beast swatted them all away like so many troublesome gnats.  Roaring, it climbed the rear tower to the gallery, snarling defiance at one and all.  It leapt onto the battlements, perching upon a merlon, preparing to make its escape. 

As it did so, however, its howl of triumph died in its throat; it stumbled, and then toppled back into the courtyard where it hit the flagstones with a loud clamor.  For unbeknownst to the Duke Aiden, the King's servants, in anticipation of the vote, had poisoned his wine with the wolfsbane herb.  The werewolf, weakened and paralyzed, was no match for the King's guard as they quickly dispatched the mighty beast.

"Well done, my lords and ladies,"  called the King, as the injured were attended to and the dead taken away for last rites.  "That was the last of the lycanthropes, the wolf shapechangers; they shall no longer plague the realm.  This would normally be cause for a great feast of celebration, but I fear our work is only half done.  I believe that there are still vampires still lurking among us."

And so, greatly encouraged yet still sober with purpose, the lords and ladies of the realm retired to their chambers, uncertain of what the night would bring.

Night has, once again, fallen.  Vampires, I need your targets for the night.  As always, any councillors who have yet to use their charms of scrying may do so at any time.

Remiel

For the first night in months, the castle denizens could sleep soundly without being woken by chilling wolf howls from the distant forest.  There was, at last, blessed quiet and tranquility during the nocturnal hours, punctuated only by the chirruping of crickets and the occasional hoot of an owl. 

Evil still stalked Shadowlore, however, for in the morning, when the sun at last rose, there was one who would not rise with it: Mithlomwen.  A quick search of her possessions revealed that she was the werewolf hunter, sworn to hunt down and eradicate all lycanthropes.  Although her life was too soon snuffed out, the victim of a vampire attack, at least Mithlomwen had gone to her grave knowing she had outlived her sworn enemies.  She had successfully eliminated the werewolf scourge from Shadowlore Keep.  Unfortunately, all of her talents and training were no defense against monsters of a different sort.

The King gave her a hero's burial, erecting a small shrine in her honor, before convening the council once more.  The werewolves were gone, but would they discover the vampires in time?

The day phase has begun.  All votes are due at the end of Friday, August 5th.

desert ashes

Once more Moirae returned to the chamber, though now only wreathed in garlic, made a polite bow to the King and then looked to each of the remaining Councillor's.  "Mistress Beguile, your previous voting has left me with quite a few suspicions about you -- too many to remain comfortable staying silent.  You were the first to cast suspicion on Lady rottenaim, helped sway the vote away from Lord Starlequin, and then did not vote at all when it came to the guilty party.  You were the very last to vote for Geeklet, the only known vampire, as well.  I believe you to be another of them."
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

That Girl Analise

Rhedyn came in later than usual that morning; she's been up late, keeping her own vigil so that the guard may patrol the area and hopefully prevent another vampire attack... But as it turns out her sleepless night was for naught; Their own Mithlomwen was pronounced dead this morning. Their king was safe for sure, but they had lost their brave Werewolf Hunter who was lucky enough to outlive her enemies, only to be shot down by the Vampires.

"I must wait and see what is said, and see who also may be guilty before giving my own ruling. As sure as I was of Aiden's guilt, I'm afraid I'm less confident this day."

Valerian

"Poor Lady Mithlomwen," Val murmured as she drifted into the room.  It was a somber place, for though one group that meant them harm was now exterminated utterly, their situation was still potentially very dire.  She listened with great interest as Moirae quickly cast the first vote, seeming to base this abrupt decision on very little evidence.

"My fellow councilors, I think we can all agree that Lord Aiden's confession -- while shocking, to say the least -- has given all of us much to think about.  I will also freely admit to being less confident this day, but I am fascinated to see Moirae voting so quickly and with such certainty.  Your own votes have hardly been free from suspicion, after all; and if Lady Beguile's has been slow to vote, or refrained from voting, it seems to me more likely to be simple uncertainty.  Unless you believe that she is somehow in league with both vampires and werewolves?" she added, raising an eyebrow.  "She has hesitated equally in voting against both, so I must say that your evidence seems to me more an attempt to save yourself and your compatriot."
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

desert ashes

"Those are my suspicions based on what I have seen and witnessed," Moirae said calmly, eyes raised to Valerian.  "My only compatriot is God.  I am not scheming with anyone.  My only desire is to see the remaining villains caught and banished from this world."
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Remiel

Current voting, as it stands:

Beguile's Mistress (1): Moirae
Moirae (1): Valerian
Valerian (1): Ryven

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress, Rhedyn, Marguerite,  FoamWeber,

Reminder:  All votes are due at the end of Friday, August 5th.

FoamWeber

"So now voting quickly is a sign of guilt?" Lady Weber questioned. "May I remind you that the innocents each have their charm- perhaps Moirae simply used hers. In any case, I am not convinced yet either way."

Ryven

"My fellow councillors, I'm afraid the day is drawing to a close.  As I'm sure you are all as bewildered as I am of where to turn to next, we must be rid of these foul creatures posthaste.  I'm afraid, however, that I have no place of certainty to base my vote.  Everyone seems as suspect as the next, so with that in mind, I hope you will take my vote as but what it is, a guess, Valerian,"  he said with a rather grim expression.  Clearly he was not happy with having to make such a choice with those near him he held as friends.  On one hand, if they turned out to be one of the vampires, he would feel betrayed, and upon the other, if they were innocent, he would have helped them to their demise.

Beguile's Mistress

Mistress Beguile's head was spinning.  Accusations and counter-accusations were being thrown and arguments one after the other only added to the confusion.  One remark of Duke Aiden's played in her head.  He had advised the others to go after Moirae.  But he couldn't be trusted, could he?  He was a werewolf an surely he'd accuse an innocent or someone charged to protect them and therefore guarantee another death of one who didn't deserve it. 

"Vote," she whispered to herself.  "I must vote...  but who...  which are fellow counselors and which is an enemy?"  Frantically she scanned the faces of the others and with a sinking hear named one who had been named before...   Moirae

FoamWeber

Lady Weber shrugged, still uncertain. "The vote seems to be with Moirae, I suppose," she said.

desert ashes

"Councillors, please listen.  I have committed no harm to any, and by voting for my death, you are voting to kill another innocent.  Please do not be swayed to do so.  As God as my witness, I have played no ill part in these matters and only seek to rid our lands of these villains." 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Remiel

Final Tally, Day Seven:

Moirae (3): Valerian, Beguile's Mistress, FoamWeber
Beguile's Mistress (1): Moirae
Valerian (1): Ryven

Did Not Vote: Rhedyn, Marguerite

King Gregorii narrowed his eyes at the two Councillors who did not cast their votes before the alloted time.  "Have you lost your tongues?" he demanded.  "Have you gotten complacent on wine?  I know we have won a significant victory in scourging ourselves of the werewolf plague, but do not forget that we still have bloodsuckers lurking among us. Our duty is not yet done."

He pressed his face into his palm, and then sighed deeply.  "But very well.  Moirae, I am sorry to say that the Council has voted against you," he paused, eyeing once again the two who did not vote, "such as it is. Bring forth the headsman."

But Moirae did not flinch or quail.  "If that is the Council's decision, so be it," shi said.  "I do not fear death, for I know that I shall have my reward in heaven."

Indeed, as the axe flashed and hir head fell from hir shoulders, it was revealed that shi was indeed the holy Priest, invulnerable to the demonic attacks of all evil creatures, both in wolf and bat guise.

The King was so upset he would not speak to the Council, but retreated straight away to his tower to pray for the brave Moirae. 

Night has, once again, fallen.  Vampires, I need your targets for the night.  As always, any councillors who have yet to use their charms of scrying may do so at any time.

Remiel

The sun rose, and the council met again, convened by King Gregorii, who seemed to be looking more anxious, drawn, and worried with every passing minute.  But there would be one Councillor who would not be joining them--Marguerite, who had fallen during the night to the vampires' ruthless attack.

There were only five Councillors left:
Valerian, Beguile's Mistress, Foamweber, Ryven, and Rhedyn.  Would the true and loyal ones be able to ferret out the doppelgangers in time?

The day phase has begun.  All votes are due by 12 midnight American EST (9 pm PST) Friday, August 12th.

FoamWeber

Lady Weber was beginning to get nervous. Things were not going well for the few remaining humans- was she going to die? Well, better to kill a vampire instead.
"Valerian," she said, "You were quite quick to accuse yesterday with no better excuse than that Moirae had voted too quickly. Were you trying to protect your fellow vampire, Beguile's Mistress? I regret having been fooled by you; it will not happen again."

That Girl Analise

Rhedyn was struck with guilt when she saw a new body. This one had been a loyal friend, but Rhedyn couldn't keep up her nightly vigil forever... She had taken the chance to sleep, leaving her night watch to handle things on their own... But her comrade lay dead. They still had hope in beating this... They had to. "I shall hear both speak. I'd like to hear all, really, but those two stand accused at the moment and must make their case before the king and the court."

Ryven

"I believe it is you, Lady FoamWeber, who seems to have us all fooled.  How odd of you to change your vote so nonchalantly yesterday and condemn our poor priest.  It seems you were just waiting for the right moment to seal her fate."  Lord Ryven said with a bit more certainty in his voice that day.

Remiel

Current voting, as it stands:

Beguile's Mistress (2): FoamWeber, Rhedyn
FoamWeber (1): Ryven

Yet to vote: Beguile's Mistress, Valerian

Reminder:  All votes are due at 12am midnight, EST, Friday, August 12th.

FoamWeber

"I never changed my vote," Lady Weber replied, confused. "The time for voting was getting short, and it was time for me to retire to bed, so I just joined the majority vote. In any case, my defense from ealier still stands. I have been quick to vote against both vampire and werewolf, and other than this latest vote my record has been perfect. I am not a vampire."

Ryven

"You are correct.  Forgive me, but as I have no better clue as to where to place my vote, I shall keep it where it lies."

That Girl Analise

Rhedyn was out of time. While it was not in her nature to pick randomly, she'd yet to be given anything, truly, to go on.  She bit her lip and pointed to Beguile's Mistress, a silent apology in her eyes.

Beguile's Mistress

Oh, lord.  How could this be?  How could they think...  Why would they believe...

"Noooooo."  Mistress Beguile wailed.  "No!  Not me!"  Her heart was pounding in her breast and icy fingers cupped flaming cheeks.  She didn't want to vote, to accuse, to condemn someone else.  She had no choice though if she wanted to save herself. 

"FoamWeber," she whispered before collapsing into a chair and burying her head in her arms.

FoamWeber

"What are you trying to prove?" Lady Weber asked, unfazed despite the accusations. "I am clearly the most innocent one here. Votes for me make you look guilty. We have discussed this before." She glanced at Valerian. "You have to make the right decision here. Otherwise, all is lost."

Beguile's Mistress

"You would stack the votes against me and deny me the right to fight for the life you want to take?"  Mistress Beguile shot back with some heat.  "Is this your way, to accuse indiscriminately and then sneer under the guise of innocence when the one you target seeks salvation?  That is the tactic of a fiend!"  Her small hands clenched into tight fists on the surface of the table.

FoamWeber

"Of course. You vampires have killed far too many already- the attacks need to stop. If killing you is what that takes, then so be it. Am I a fiend for attempting to save the few remaining humans?" Lady Weber shrugged. "Better to be a fiend than a vampire, I suppose."