So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starlequin

So glad I finally get to do this!
*goes to test*
Huh. Thought it'd be higher.
*shrugs*
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Anya

Yayyy... I think that I got the lowest score. 14,800 words.

BadForm

35,600... I am not happy with myself. Oh well, such is life for us ignoramuses.
Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200349.0

Caeli

Quote from: Anya on January 30, 2013, 06:27:17 PM
Yayyy... I think that I got the lowest score. 14,800 words.

Seeing as how English is not your native language, I think that is an absolutely impressive number.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Anya

Quote from: Caeli on February 03, 2013, 04:02:08 PM
Seeing as how English is not your native language, I think that is an absolutely impressive number.

Teehee! Thank you Caeli.

Lilias

The maximum score one can get is 45,000. The highest I've seen is in the 43K, but that was an older person on a religious forum (= well-versed in archaic language).

Anything over 10K, for non-native speakers, and you can give yourselves a pat in the back. I also put down money that if you retake it after a year here, you're going to score much, much better. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Wolfling72

How interesting. I took the test. (The fourth column killed me!)

37, 200. Hmmm. Pretty good, I think. Not great but not utterly uneducated either.

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

NinjaWeazel

43,000 words.  My English Major aunt would be so proud.

Erich Norden

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
31,100 words

Between the ones I didn't get, I've seen about half of them but forgot (or never learned) the definition.

Marduk

30,500, allegedly.

I'm fairly cynical of these sorts of things. Never the less, I'm happy with that.

kylie

24,300 it says.

Quote from: Silverfyre on December 26, 2012, 10:45:43 PM
Believe it or not, more than  few of the harder words were learned from gaming books such as White Wolf's "World of Darkness" and DnD.  Tenebrous, caitiff, hobgoblin, to name a few.  Read more fantasy and learn more words!  Woo!
No fair...  It only gave me a bugbear.  Pouts.  Bugbear cleaves hobgoblin, though -- yes?   ;)

Safire

Apparently I know about 20,400 words. I'm not happy with that. They got pretty hard on the last list... I could probably figure them out if they were in an actual sentence instead of just a word list.
If I seem a bit slow on posting, it's because things are piling up in real life.

Monfang

I need to get back to reading more.

yugi006

That really isn't a lot.

Chris Brady

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 14, 2013, 11:30:50 AM
33,700 words.

And I also knew several words only from my RPG experiences - Caitiff and Regnant, primarily.
I actually didn't check those.  Not because I didn't know the meaning, but White Wolf has this tendency to 're-purpose' words for their games, so to be honest, what I know (I looked them up, had to, because I had two separate definitions of those words) may have been actually wrong.  And if I had to look them up, I didn't check them.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Athem

38,400 - a liking for obscure words apparently has some uses!

By the time I got to that last column, I was wondering if it was throwing made-up words at me just to catch out cheaters!

Endorphin

Probably a fair reflection, since I certainly wouldn't consider myself an avid reader.

I get the impression that a polyglot would have a significant advantage in this test. Especially one with a good understanding of French.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Renegade Vile

I had 31,800 words as my estimation. Bearing in mind that I'm 24 and I'm not a native speaker, I seem to be doing quite well.

However, for those not happy with their scores, take a look at the averages for your age for both native and non-native speakers, it offers more context to your score. Also keep in mind that some of the later words are very niche terms you never really come across except by happenstance. If you have the average of what is expected, I believe one can be very pleased already.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Swordsman18

28,300 is my estimation, I think it is a bit low but I think that is a good checker.

Geraint

Quote from: Lilias on February 04, 2013, 06:33:59 AM
The maximum score one can get is 45,000. The highest I've seen is in the 43K, but that was an older person on a religious forum (= well-versed in archaic language).

Anything over 10K, for non-native speakers, and you can give yourselves a pat in the back. I also put down money that if you retake it after a year here, you're going to score much, much better. ;)

Older certainly does work to one's advantage, especially when combined with a lifetime of reading tons of fiction.  My experience is that forum roleplay adds greatly(see below), especially if one does a lot of historical and fantasy, and tends to research heavily (which I guess would qualify as well versed in archic language).  A keen curiosity, Google Fu, and Wikipedia addiction have to help as well.

My estimated number was:

42,900  (likely because of all the above).

Of course I know of very few people besides writers who might get to use nearly that amount of vocabulary in real life (people tend to back away from you when you do).  Certainly I don't.  So I took the test again, counting only words I actually use in real life (without getting strange looks) and came up with:

That's where roleplay really shines.  Taking it a third time, I included all the words that are actually in  active use in my roleplay vocabulary, and I got: 

I'd say that is quite a testimonial to the affect of roleplay on vocabulary.

And yes, my muse wanted distraction this morning.   ::)

Blythe

My number was 39,800. I felt it was a passable estimate, seeing as English literature is my field, but much of what I use doesn't always come up in everyday conversation, so I've gotten a tad rusty.

CupidCatt

I was surprised at how many words I did recognise (as sounds or patterns of letters) but couldn't for the life of me define  :-[

SweetSerenade

I think that's good? I just like to read, learn a lot of things from reading... ya know?

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Hades

Figured I'd take the test to see how I ranked.  Being from the American south (barely, since I'm in Kentucky, but that's beside the point!) I thought it might be amusing.

34,400 words

Guess having my nose buried in all those books are good for something after all, besides risking an early death by means of 1000 papercuts.

LeSane

44,600 words

Coming from a person that has not started college yet I feel that I am rather accomplished right now. Though I stuck my head near an art pad rather then a book it never stopped me from doing some reading, and like Hades I was raised in the South. Atlanta, Ga to be exact. Woot!
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'