Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James

Started by Damnedangel, April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snozz

I just want to put in my two cent and say that...well, put simply I didn't like this trilogy. Not at all. It's written for an audience that...are different kinds of readers than myself. I can appreciate that there is a main-stream book out there about the lifestyle, but I did not appreciate the internal dialogue, the many many plotholes, the inaccuracies, and the fact that even though it's meant as a fantasy, I just couldn't get into it. The main character is unrealistically adolescent, and; well, I'll just stop there. I know the conversation has veered from this, but I saw the thread's title and wanted to give my opinion. I don't want to hate or cause drama or anything. Just sayin'. Wasn't my cuppa. I've read better, but perhaps that's because I'm finicky about what I read.
|-"The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open." -Chuck Palahniuk -|
The Red Pill (O/Os)  |  I assume I need no introduction. |
|- "When the fox hears the rabbit scream, he comes a-runnin';  but not to help." -|

Stone

First Angie, then Emma Watson, now Mila Kunis.

I don't think the rumor mill understands this: whoever plays the part of Ms, uh, Stoole is essentially murdering her career reputation. None of the big name actresses will go for it unless they're looking to pull a Halle Berry Catwoman.

In the entire history of cinema, only Nicole Kidman got away with something like this, and that's because it was a Kubrick film.
The sphere was solid with Plunkett, and only waited for someone to be in; like, like the meaning of a word waiting for a word to be the meaning of. - John Crowley, Engine Summer.

To manipulate a man is a careful project. Too light a hand, and he follows his own whim; too heavy a hand, and he will turn on you. - Thief II: The Metal Age.

Star Safyre

Seems the Canadians see this for what it is.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Inari

In my opinion the book sucks and the woman is such a massive liar!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20532794

She is only embarrassed because her little smutty rp made it into a book. If anything I would be proud and shameless. (As would a few of the people on here I suspect.) She says she never asked for this which is total bullshit. If she didn't want it she never would have changed the names and other bits for legal reasons. (From what someone told me who has read both, you can still tell who is who!)

This is the only thing it is good for:

https://www.facebook.com/v/4043217837653

For those not in the know that is LittleKuriboh (Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged) and Kyle Hebert (DBZ Narrator.)

I really don't understand this sudden trend in abusive relationships in fantasy being Romantised. Sure it happens on here, but that is on here between few people. Not to millions and billions of people around the world who are easily influenced and will act out this shit. Also suggested read is Kurshiel's Dart. 

persephone325

I saw this quote for the sporkings, and lol'd SO HARD!

"I’m not sure, but I think that E.L. James believes that an SUV is a muscle car, much like Meyer believes a Mercedes is a muscle car. Somewhere in the multiverse, Dean Winchester is headdesking."
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Oniya

You mean Mr. Oniya and I have been driving 'muscle cars' for 11 years and didn't know it?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on December 07, 2012, 10:48:04 PM
You mean Mr. Oniya and I have been driving 'muscle cars' for 11 years and didn't know it?

ROFL Apparently! Haha. I can't believe how highly people praise this book... It's unrealistic, horribly written, and it's basically Twilight with human characters.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Saerrael

Quote from: persephone325 on December 07, 2012, 10:46:26 PM
I saw this quote for the sporkings, and lol'd SO HARD!

"I’m not sure, but I think that E.L. James believes that an SUV is a muscle car, much like Meyer believes a Mercedes is a muscle car. Somewhere in the multiverse, Dean Winchester is headdesking."

*laughs!*

The worst part would be that I can basically see Dean do such. *grins and shakes head*

persephone325

Quote from: Saerra on December 07, 2012, 10:55:17 PM
*laughs!*

The worst part would be that I can basically see Dean do such. *grins and shakes head*

I could see Dean writing a better book than this, too. Haha.
I don't know.

Saerrael

Quote from: persephone325 on December 07, 2012, 10:58:55 PM
I could see Dean writing a better book than this, too. Haha.

I'd read that book!

Aiden

Let the record show, if Mila Kunis is cast for whatever the lead in this book is or whatever, i would watch it.

persephone325

Quote from: Saerra on December 07, 2012, 11:01:50 PM
I'd read that book!

As would I. :p And he's done some kinky stuff if I recall correctly. ;)
I don't know.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: persephone325 on December 07, 2012, 11:06:48 PM
As would I. :p And he's done some kinky stuff if I recall correctly. ;)

You mean besides with his brother in slashfics?

persephone325

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 07, 2012, 11:23:49 PM
You mean besides with his brother in slashfics?

Haha. Good point. I almost forgot about that. :p

This line had me dying:

"Ana, having signed an agreement with what might as well be a crossroads demon, then takes a swig of wine and asks if, now that that’s done, they can has sex, plz?"
"A crossroads demon would be more interesting than this. And unfortunately, we’re going to be getting to sex all too soon."

ROFLMAO!!!
I don't know.

Sabby

Fifty Shades author on male readers

No offence intended towards any one who enjoyed her books, but listening to her talk makes my brain cells commit suicide one by one.

persephone325

So wait, James knows NOTHING about BDSM?? This doesn't surprise me, but WHY THE FUCK would you write a book about something you know NOTHING ABOUT?! That's like Forest Gump writing a book that says Stephen Hawking doesn't know what he's talking about.

Actually... Comparing James to Forest would be an insult to Forest...
I don't know.

Chris Brady

Quote from: persephone325 on December 08, 2012, 04:22:49 AM
So wait, James knows NOTHING about BDSM?? This doesn't surprise me, but WHY THE FUCK would you write a book about something you know NOTHING ABOUT?! That's like Forest Gump writing a book that says Stephen Hawking doesn't know what he's talking about.

Actually... Comparing James to Forest would be an insult to Forest...
You didn't know?  At all?  I thought that one of us mentioned that by now...

My bad.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

persephone325

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 08, 2012, 04:30:55 AM

My bad.

I probably heard it, and then forgot. lol My memory sucks. :)
I don't know.

Jag

I tend not to waste my braincells or memory by remembering anything about James.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Deamonbane

I started reading the books, and I realized that it wasn't too unlikely that the author had a teenage wet dream, and suddenly decided to write about it... just saying...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 08, 2012, 04:30:55 AM

My bad.

I included it in my filk (based on the Monkees 'Shades of Grey') :-)  It was back on page 11 so I'm not surprised you didn't remember it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Chris Brady

Oriya, my excuse is ADHD, my memory sucks, but I thought I remembered someone mentioning it. :P

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Even as a StoreHouse of Useless Trivia, I'm sometimes hard-pressed to remember exactly where I heard something.  It's all good.

(Actually, I'm now considering seeing if this headset mic I have works and trying to record it.)

Remy

I've just found out my kids have got me a Kindle for Christmas, and for no reason other than all the talk about it here, I might see if any of my friends have a copy they'd allow me download to it so I can have a look for myself.  But I won't be buying it, as I just cant bring myself to spend good money on something that seems to be so badly received in general. 

Chris Brady

Quote from: Star Safyre on December 02, 2012, 05:15:30 PM

Seems the Canadians see this for what it is.
Thanks Star, truth be told, I'm not seeing much on this in this part of Canada, but I was wondering if we caught what 50SoGgy really represents.