Murder Mystery Mansion (OOC discussion and questions)

Started by Remiel, November 16, 2011, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josietta

No rush or anything, but do we know when we're expected to start?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Zelric Miras

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Josietta on November 27, 2011, 09:16:14 AM
No rush or anything, but do we know when we're expected to start?

As per the invitation PM, 28 November.

Nadir

Uh, I have an operation on the 1st, so I hope I don't cause too much of a hold up in the first week

Beguile's Mistress

Zelric Miras

Josietta

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Geeklet

Well, I can always dig out my nurse's costume in case you need some bedside manner afterwards, Eden.  >:)

Remiel

Quote from: Eden on November 27, 2011, 09:35:02 AM
Uh, I have an operation on the 1st, so I hope I don't cause too much of a hold up in the first week

Oh, dear.  Hope everything goes well, Eden.

I was planning on making the first round a week (Monday, 28 November - Monday, 5 December).  Obviously, if you can't post during the week due to real life circumstances, we'll all completely understand and won't hold it against you  ;) (thanks for letting me know!)

Remiel

An interesting tidbit.  Out of 14 players...

Four chose some shade of purple (Miss Plum, Master Indigo, Lady Lavendar,  Professor Mauve)
Three chose some shade of green (Chef Sage Green, Dr. Emerald, Professor Verde)
Two chose some shade of red (The Red Baron, Miss Scarlett)
Two chose shades of brown (Miss Brown, Madame Mocha)
One chose a shade of yellow (Major Mustard)
One chose a kind of grey (Dr. Silver)
and 1 (Miss Rainbow) went for the entire palette.

Nobody, it seems, liked blue.  ???

Josietta

Blue is a very sad color. Its lovely but a bit depressing.

Orange is for early mornings! :P

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Remiel

Also, the Murderer, Room, and Weapon have been chosen, completely at random (with my handy D&D dice).  The murderer will get a PM sometime tonight, and the game will officially start up tomorrow.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Remiel on November 27, 2011, 04:31:35 PM
An interesting tidbit.  Out of 14 players...

Four chose some shade of purple (Miss Plum, Master Indigo, Lady Lavendar,  Professor Mauve)
Three chose some shade of green (Chef Sage Green, Dr. Emerald, Professor Verde)
Two chose some shade of red (The Red Baron, Miss Scarlett)
Two chose shades of brown (Miss Brown, Madame Mocha)
One chose a shade of yellow (Major Mustard)
One chose a kind of grey (Dr. Silver)

Nobody, it seems, liked blue.  ???

Blue can be a popular color, too, and many like me might have assumed it would be taken.  :P

I'm looking forward to the start! ;D

Geeklet

Quote from: Remiel on November 27, 2011, 04:31:35 PM

.... so I was indecisive. So sue me! :P

Beguile's Mistress

Now, see...  You could have gotten away with declaring how daring you are! ;D

Zelric Miras

*blows Beguile's a kiss* It seems I'm the only one that took a grey shade, it was going to be black, but I decided on the second color of the mask :P

Remiel

Okay, Murder Mystery Mansion is now officially open for business!

Sometime between now and the end of Sunday, 4 December (approximately 11:59 pm, U.S. Pacific Standard Time) I will need from each of you a post in the Game Thread describing which Room your character is in and what he or she is doing.    Writing a novel-length post is not necessary; a few sentences is just fine. 

In order to facilitate the game, you are allowed and even encouraged to chat In Character with the other guests and even flirt with them if that is appropriate to your character.  Try to flesh out your character's backstory (who is he? What does she do for a living?  How did shi know Mr. Grey?).  You can speculate, if you wish, about your suspicions--either publicly or in PM--to the other players, but remember, there can only be one winner of Murder Mystery Mansion.   The winner is whoever is the first to make a correct Accusation.  If the Murderer manages to last ten rounds without any guests making a correct Accusation, then he, or she, or shi, wins the game.   Lying in an attempt to mislead other players is perfectly acceptable.

Sometime during the week, I will also need from you a Suspicion including a Weapon, the Room that you are currently in, and a Suspect.   You are free to change your mind, but the last Suspicion I get from you by the time the round is over is the one that will count.   Similarly, you are free to move from Room to Room before the week is over, but the last room that you have visited by the time the clock strikes will be the one that you are considered to be in.

Remember that the Murderer is hiding among you, and that he/she/shi may strike at any time.  However, you are safe as long as you haven't discovered any clues yet.  Once you have, your life will be in mortal peril. 

Also, as always, if you collude or conspire about the game with anyone in PM, please copy me (Remiel) on all correspondence.

Good luck!

Geeklet

Quote from: Remiel on October 26, 2011, 08:02:02 PMOnce the player has submitted his or her suspicions to the GM, he will find out if any of his guesses are correct.  If none of his guesses are correct, he will be told as much.  If one of his guesses are correct and the other two mistaken, he will learn what the correct guess was.  If more than one of his guesses are correct, however, he will only discover one clue--which will be selected randomly from the correct guesses.    Only new information will be presented (the player does not have to worry about learning already known information).

Example: Mr. Pink has guessed correctly about the Cleaver and Miss Scarlet, but he is wrong about the Kitchen. Although the cleaver was in fact used, the murder took place in another room.  The GM flips a coin and lets him know that he guessed correctly about the Cleaver. Mr. Pink's suspicions of Miss Scarlet will have to wait for another round.

Question: Suppose someone investigates and knows one item already (say, the room). The next round, they make another suspicion, and name the room that they know is right, in addition to guessing on the weapon/killer. If they guessed right on either of those two, would they automatically know its right, or would it fall under the multiple correct guess rule and only one would be revealed at random (thus giving the chance to reveal the room as the only thing right again)? Hopefully this question makes sense. Makes sense in my head, but sometimes things get lost in translation from my thoughts into text. xD

Nadir

Josietta

Personally.. if it were me.. I'd purposely choose the wrong weapon if i got it right the last time. That way I'd know what was right and what was wrong for room and/or people. That way there is no penalty applied and you don't go wrong with it. ;D

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Remiel

Quote from: Geeklet on November 28, 2011, 06:47:37 PM
Question: Suppose someone investigates and knows one item already (say, the room). The next round, they make another suspicion, and name the room that they know is right, in addition to guessing on the weapon/killer. If they guessed right on either of those two, would they automatically know its right, or would it fall under the multiple correct guess rule and only one would be revealed at random (thus giving the chance to reveal the room as the only thing right again)? Hopefully this question makes sense. Makes sense in my head, but sometimes things get lost in translation from my thoughts into text. xD

Good question.  The way I have it now, you don't need to worry about discovering things you already know.  In other words, if you have guessed the Room correctly on a previous round, it won't count in your guess on subsequent rounds.  So you don't need to worry about "rediscovering" clues that you already know.

If solving the murder proves too easy, however, I may change this rule for the next game.