The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

They had Nathan Fillion do Hal Jordan's voice for some of the Justice League animated movies, like Doom. Though in the cartoon series, Adam Baldwin did the voice during the time trip through time involving GL, Wonder Woman and Batman following Chronos. It is interesting that for some of the animated movies they used other actors for voices, and other times using some of the original voice actors from the animated series.

It could be highly possibly for Simmons to appear, technically Peter was a freelance photographer working for the Daily Bugle.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 30, 2016, 09:01:12 PM
They had Nathan Fillion do Hal Jordan's voice for some of the Justice League animated movies, like Doom. Though in the cartoon series, Adam Baldwin did the voice during the time trip through time involving GL, Wonder Woman and Batman following Chronos. It is interesting that for some of the animated movies they used other actors for voices, and other times using some of the original voice actors from the animated series.

It could be highly possibly for Simmons to appear, technically Peter was a freelance photographer working for the Daily Bugle.

But those weren't DCAU canon, though I did like seeing the different animation style.

And Peter was older when he started doing freelance photography, wasn't he? In the Ultimate version, teenage Peter was just good with computers and Jameson gave him a job after Peter fixed some of their tech problems.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

He was about sixteen or so. It was basically his after-school job.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on January 31, 2016, 10:00:53 AM
He was about sixteen or so. It was basically his after-school job.

Yeah, but photography was basically the least significant aspect of it in that version (plus later on, Jameson actually finds out his secret identity but keeps it secret out of a newfound respect). What works about grown-up Spidey is that he basically can fight crime AND do his normal paying day job at the same time, which also cuts down on the too dramatic stuff from the Raimi films where it's just nothing but Peter Parker getting crapped on both in and out of costume.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Oh I thought you were asking about classic Peter's photo career.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on January 31, 2016, 11:57:42 AM
Oh I thought you were asking about classic Peter's photo career.

Nah, I already knew about that, but that's what I liked about it, gives both the comics and any other medium that portrays him more time to focus on web-slinging than his daily woes.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on February 02, 2016, 01:06:06 PM

Best part of the trailers so far...

I liked the whole part where he brings Colossus and NTW with him and she's tweeting before she shows what she can do a little better. Glad they built upon the test footage instead of going in an entirely different direction, that was too good not to use in the actual film. Also the trailer is pretty true to the personality of Deadpool we've come to expect, completely unlike Ultron who was featured as being dark and sinister, cold and resentful and yet we got an Ultron who was either nothing like that at all, or was like that for no good reason that was ever explained.

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on February 03, 2016, 03:54:19 PM
Looks like Barry Allen is going to take a day trip to National City
http://deadline.com/2016/02/supergirl-the-flash-crossover-official-in-march-1201695796/

It was bound to happen. Now come on, Marvel, make it official and cross over the Netflix stuff with Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter! Or throw some of those shows' characters and shit into the movies! Or both!

I keep getting into an argument with this guy on the IMDB boards about the upcoming Iron Fist. This person wants Danny Rand to be Asian (not even specifying Asian-American) and the whole argument issue of representation and whitewashing or other race-swapping is just really getting on my nerves. I know we've had discussions about this kind of thing on here before but I've gone over the arguments and (obviously based on a personal bias) the arguments against being politically correct for PC's sake are more numerous and hold up better. What I would like to know is, how many people here who are seriously committed to superhero cinemas and TV are either perfectly okay with or even in strong favor of screen adaptations depicting characters inaccurately from the comics (for whatever reason the studios come up with)?

I know it's probably pointless to catalog the arguments for or against and the reasons used to defend them but I'd really like as much ammo as I can throw in that other forum.

SapphireStar

Before they were saying the crossover wouldn't happen. I guess the dip in ratings for Supergirl changed that since ratings sweeps is coming up.

Apparently, Danny Rand has already been cast. But, like the casting update for Guardians of the Galaxy, they won't release any details. James Gunn said when the time is right he will release the update? There was a rumor that some roles from the Marvel tv shows might be recast if certain characters transition to the silver screen. I seriously hope that doesn't happen, then that would seriously mess with the Marvel Universe on a  whole.

According to a report, the Titans tv show isn't totally dead. Apparently, it is just in development limbo. DC stated that it is still a huge part of what they want to do and still have plans for it. Please, have Nightwing guest star on Arrow or even Legends of Tomorrow! That would be so awesome! They could have Cyborg/Victor Stone do a few episodes on the Flash!

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 03, 2016, 09:57:04 PM
Before they were saying the crossover wouldn't happen. I guess the dip in ratings for Supergirl changed that since ratings sweeps is coming up.

Apparently, Danny Rand has already been cast. But, like the casting update for Guardians of the Galaxy, they won't release any details. James Gunn said when the time is right he will release the update? There was a rumor that some roles from the Marvel tv shows might be recast if certain characters transition to the silver screen. I seriously hope that doesn't happen, then that would seriously mess with the Marvel Universe on a  whole.

According to a report, the Titans tv show isn't totally dead. Apparently, it is just in development limbo. DC stated that it is still a huge part of what they want to do and still have plans for it. Please, have Nightwing guest star on Arrow or even Legends of Tomorrow! That would be so awesome! They could have Cyborg/Victor Stone do a few episodes on the Flash!

Well Nightwing and Cyborg could both be done relatively easily with a 'low-tech' approach, but they seem to want to avoid the big trinity (Supes, Bats and WW) like the plague with the CW shows and Supergirl, so who knows? The WB company needs to freaking decide now if they have enough faith in the public to understand the difference between the TV and movie universes so they don't have to hold back from using characters from both sets (which the Flash is inevitably going to cause to happen anyway and can't be avoided.)

I've started watching the second season of Young Justice on Netflix and...I honestly think they'd have to have the mother of all SFX budgets to pull of a Teen Titans live-action show, no matter what network it's on. You just can't have an ensemble team show like that and not expect it to be more intensive on a regular basis than both Arrow and Flash combined.

SapphireStar

I'm a little confused. Didn't the Supergirl show establish that her cousin, Clark Kent/Superman was already established as Superman and off flying around doing heroics? Apparently in an upcoming episode they will debut a teenage Clark Kent/Kal-El? Huh? Are they going to somehow turn Clark into a teenager? Wasn't that the point of sending Jimmy to National City? Clark sent him to help guide Supergirl?

It is entirely possible to pull off Titans. If they had the right production crew, writers, and actors. If they started out on the low tech side, gradually building up with the SFX.

Okay. Looked at the trailer for the second half of Season 4 for Arrow. Anyone else feel like this will be the last we will see of Katana?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Just like Deadshot and Amanda Waller, Katana is in the upcoming Suicide Squad, and each character thus far has met with final end on Arrow.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 03, 2016, 11:23:38 PM
I'm a little confused. Didn't the Supergirl show establish that her cousin, Clark Kent/Superman was already established as Superman and off flying around doing heroics? Apparently in an upcoming episode they will debut a teenage Clark Kent/Kal-El? Huh? Are they going to somehow turn Clark into a teenager? Wasn't that the point of sending Jimmy to National City? Clark sent him to help guide Supergirl?

It is entirely possible to pull off Titans. If they had the right production crew, writers, and actors. If they started out on the low tech side, gradually building up with the SFX.

Okay. Looked at the trailer for the second half of Season 4 for Arrow. Anyone else feel like this will be the last we will see of Katana?
Just like Deadshot and Amanda Waller, Katana is in the upcoming Suicide Squad, and each character thus far has met with final end on Arrow.

Teenage Clark I guess would be for a flashback sequence, maybe something in Hank's past or if it's the next episode given the 'villain of the week' it makes sense for a teenage Clark to show up.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 03, 2016, 11:23:38 PM

They're just going to have their work cut out for them making it interesting if they want to cheap out on the visual effects.

Deamonbane

Isn't the Boomerang guy in Suicide Squad? And he's still alive in the DC TV Universe...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

SapphireStar

Captain Boomerang. Yes, but he's supposedly imprisoned on Lian Yu (forgive my spelling) along with Deathstroke.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 04, 2016, 06:37:22 PM
Captain Boomerang. Yes, but he's supposedly imprisoned on Lian Yu (forgive my spelling) along with Deathstroke.

While it's unlikely they'll ever have cause to use Captain Boomerang again, Deathstroke might be a different story. But he'll probably be more of a younger team's villain like on Teen Titans or something if it comes down to it. Or maybe they're trying to downplay him now that Deadpool's coming out and the merc with a mouth is so similar mask- and name-wise?

SapphireStar

THere was mention that Deathstroke was going to be used in one of the DC movies. Potentially, Suicide Squad. Rumor was it that they were looking at Joe Maganello (from True Blood, hope I spelled his name right). So, having him appear in any future DC tv shows is up in the air. But, looking like potentially no more appearances until the movie executives say otherwise. They like to have the big villains for their movies.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 04, 2016, 11:04:30 PM
THere was mention that Deathstroke was going to be used in one of the DC movies. Potentially, Suicide Squad. Rumor was it that they were looking at Joe Maganello (from True Blood, hope I spelled his name right). So, having him appear in any future DC tv shows is up in the air. But, looking like potentially no more appearances until the movie executives say otherwise. They like to have the big villains for their movies.

Well Deathstroke is only human, so unless he's actually ON the Suicide Squad, it just doesn't seem likely to me that he'll be a major movie antagonist unless it's strictly in the henchman capacity.

CaptainNexus616

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xuiU0Z99wo

Ok ladies and gentlemen looks like we officially know now who is on whose side for certain. Granted Spidey is still set to appear its more than likely he will follow the comics and change sides but he may not be involved with what looks like the final brawl. That however depends on how much Spider-Man is involved in the movie itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mnu06cIUpMs

Nothing real big with this one with the exception of Psylocke's first appearance on the big screen.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

So much awesomeness. Are we not getting a real second trailer for Civil War until it's about to premiere? Or are they not putting as much hype into it as they did in Age of Ultron? I mean, I know they don't want to give away too much the way BvS has, but I'd like to at least see the bad guys Crossbones and Baron Zemo, even if I don't know what actual role they'll play (otherwise do we need to care?) But I think that Spidey's absence means that if he does take part in the conflict, he'll have chosen Tony's side if only because a head count says it's 5 against 6 and he'd make Team Iron Man's sixth.

X-Men's looks badass, they really went all-out with that one, can't wait. Hope this trilogy rounds out well instead of completely dropping the ball like so many and not living up anywhere near the standards of so many others (The Dark Knight Rises, The World's End, Iron Man 3, and of course X3: The Last Stand.)

CaptainNexus616

Hmmm theory time kids. So in the Netflix Daredevil series. Nobu and his associates wanted a series of buildings throughout Hell's Kitchen for an unspecified reason and he got really upset when Fisk tried offering him different ones. Now we know that this group is more than likely the Hand the group Stick and the Chantry are fighting like in the comics.

When Stick is asked if Murdock will be ready when the door opens he state he has no idea.

So here is my theory. That threat they were talking about...I am betting whatever is going to happen will be the big evil the Defenders will need to battle and I am betting the buildings Nobu acquired will be involved with some part of the plan.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 09, 2016, 01:30:46 PM
Hmmm theory time kids. So in the Netflix Daredevil series. Nobu and his associates wanted a series of buildings throughout Hell's Kitchen for an unspecified reason and he got really upset when Fisk tried offering him different ones. Now we know that this group is more than likely the Hand the group Stick and the Chantry are fighting like in the comics.

When Stick is asked if Murdock will be ready when the door opens he state he has no idea.

So here is my theory. That threat they were talking about...I am betting whatever is going to happen will be the big evil the Defenders will need to battle and I am betting the buildings Nobu acquired will be involved with some part of the plan.

A couple of threads on the imdb.com message boards asked a question about Black Sky and my theory was that whatever Black Sky's purpose was, it had something to do with those buildings (or their location). So my guess was that, for full effectiveness, the location and the use of Black Sky would have been necessary, something ritualistic perhaps. Since the Black Sky plan fell through, I would say there's no reason for those same buildings to hold the same level of significance, or at least not for the same reason any longer. But the Hand is by no means finished, and now that Fisk has vacated the seat of power and Gao is nowhere to be found, they'll have free reign to come in and take over the old operations. Surely Elektra's presence is significant for their continued menace in the series, and even two hard-hitters like Daredevil and Elektra can't stop them all, so the wild card, Punisher, who may or may not understand the full situation, is a powerful ally, and I suspect his role will mainly be to force Matt to confront his own stance on killing to stop an evil person or group. Whether by accident or design, I think Matt will end up killing a bad guy and have to deal with that guilt throughout the season.

Aaaaaaand withou further ado, the final Batman Vs. Superman trailer before the film's release...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgI2fqUNqPs

Just really blown away by the fact that they're not skirting around the fact that Bruce is getting old, they're declaring it, like it's not a huge problem. Really delusional creative decisions just keep mounting. Scary.

SapphireStar

Rumor circulating that Young Justice might get a season 3