News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Minecraft!

Started by Dizzi, January 28, 2011, 12:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzi

So, who here plays?  Any particular servers you like to play multiplayer on?

Post your builds!  Just all things minecraft! :D

I play on a server called 'Crafthub' It's great.  I'll post some pics of my current project soon.

Craz

You know, when I saw this, I thought "why the frak don't we have any minecraft topics here before?"

I prefer to play survival, mostly because it appeals to the ADVENTURE! side of me. However, two friends of mine are looking to make a nearly 1:1 scale replica of the Pyramid at Giza....complete with a Stargate inside.

Xanatos

I play, though haven't for awhile mainly thanks to the move. It is a fun game to be creative on. I play on Survival though I turned off the monsters for awhile; they seriously were pissing me off. I can't stand having creeps that run up to me and blow me into the dirt, forcing me to run all the way back and risk further death so I can re-gather all my inventory... -grumbles-

I did manage to build quite the castle complex before getting fed up, however. Nothing really spectacular compared to some of those works people have done, sure. On Youtube someone built a scale Galaxy Class Starship (Enterprise-D I believe). Its freaking huge.

One of my goals is to build an underground, primarily, railroad system between various outposts and my main castle. This, however, will take FOREVER, considering much Iron its going to take to do so. Building the structures is obscenely easy as stone is everywhere. Tunneling is not so easy and will also take forever as well. The inventory fills up fastish, and tools break really quick. I am not using my Iron or Diamond to make better tools, screw that. I'm using stone because its plentiful.

Xenolord

This game is like cocaine. It's a stupid game with horrible graphics... BUT IT'S SO FUN! I just can't... stop!

And all the things you can build! Creativity knows no bounds! All and all, this is a fabulous little time killer.

*Ssssss* Hey, anyone else hear that?

Yorubi

Haha I actually know my one friend is addicted to this XD It seems rather cool but I'm not quite sure about actually paying for it. I mean its pretty cheap but I just feel iffy about that considering how it is.

Dizzi

First of all; buy soon.  the price will be going up soon.  I got the alpha, so it was super cheap, and I will get everything from now on for free.  The beta is less cheap, but it's worth it.  Trust me.

Shjade

Quote from: XenoLord on January 28, 2011, 03:06:37 PM
This game is like cocaine.
They are indeed similar in that both seem unappealing. ;p

I dunno. Just seems to me that when I get a creative urge I'd like to have something physical as the end product. It's a neat cyber-sandbox and all, but that's just not for me.

I do, however, find some amusement in watching videos of stupid/silly things other people have done in Minecraft, like this vid of kilplixism basically getting himself killed in various ways.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Craz

If you want a very good silly/stupid video series, watch SeaNanners's Let's Play of Minecraft. It's freaking hilarious.

Nadir

I use Minecraft as my carrot when I'm writing. It's awesome. ^_^

Aiden

This game....ahhhhhhhh -sighs!- All I want to do is dig and dig...and dig!

Nadir

Aiden likes to go down

*gigglesnorts*

Aiden

Shjade

Quote from: Craz on January 28, 2011, 10:44:42 PM
If you want a very good silly/stupid video series, watch SeaNanners's Let's Play of Minecraft. It's freaking hilarious.
Hm.

You know, #2 of his video series has me wondering if I've been thinking about Minecraft the wrong way. Most of what I've seen/heard about it has to do with the multiplayer and with crafting, all the crap people build and the life-size Enterprise recreations and so on and so on, all of which seems like an incredibly boring way to spend time on a computer.

It hadn't occurred to me that, in single-player, the game is also essentially my favorite part of an MMO: exploration. Just the moment where Seananners goes out on his pre-dusk escapade and stumbles on that deep crevasse had me go, Hey. That could be fun. Screw the finding coal and building things part, whatever, but just wandering around an open world (or sneaking around in it at night as the case may be, though it doesn't seem like a game with a deep stealth element - insert sadface here) and mapping things out, that could be interesting.

I guess I'll have to try it after all.

Damn.
◕/◕'s

Nadir

I just came across a spider dungeon *eyetwitch*

Craz

Quote from: Shjade on January 30, 2011, 05:23:29 PM
Hm.

You know, #2 of his video series has me wondering if I've been thinking about Minecraft the wrong way. Most of what I've seen/heard about it has to do with the multiplayer and with crafting, all the crap people build and the life-size Enterprise recreations and so on and so on, all of which seems like an incredibly boring way to spend time on a computer.

It hadn't occurred to me that, in single-player, the game is also essentially my favorite part of an MMO: exploration. Just the moment where Seananners goes out on his pre-dusk escapade and stumbles on that deep crevasse had me go, Hey. That could be fun. Screw the finding coal and building things part, whatever, but just wandering around an open world (or sneaking around in it at night as the case may be, though it doesn't seem like a game with a deep stealth element - insert sadface here) and mapping things out, that could be interesting.

I guess I'll have to try it after all.

Damn.

I tend to variate between mining and exploring. I mine and mine and mine until I get cool metals, then I go out and hunt various monsters. And, when I've bored of an area, I take everything that I want to and move on to a new place.

Shjade

That seems like what I'll end up doing. The building is slow and complicated (ladders to hover lava? how does that make any sense?) and, well, the game doesn't look great so it seems silly to put much effort into building something so blocky and meh, but the digging is extensive!

Just sorta sucks that there's not much I want to do with all the materials I dig up. Ah well.

And I was right about it lacking stealth. Boo.
◕/◕'s

DobbyDevotchka

I have absolutely no association to this game other than the amount of laughter it brings me when i watch tutorials on youtube.  And that isn't meant to sound cunty, if it did! I think its a hilariously charming, back to basics kind of game that really challenges the gamer.  Sort of forces you to live outside of the conventions that we've all come to accept as 'norm' when thinking of a video game in general. They're so advanced and complex these days.   I find Minecraft to be a very post-modernistic game... IN ALL SENSE OF THE TERM!! (hopes to all heck she used post modern in the right context.. )

Shjade

Been playing the game three days and already trying to think up challenges to spice it up a bit.

First one to attempt: playing on Hard difficulty, do no digging for resources you cannot already see either on the surface or in natural caverns.

I see a lot of charcoal, treehouse with ladders and stone tools in my future.
◕/◕'s

klamity

I've done multiple builds: most on peaceful as im a wuss.

Underground cities consisting of massive caverns blown out by ludicrous amounts of tnt. Currently unfinished, planned rail way system between large number of chambers and areas, banks and such.

A rail line that connects multiple 'countries' as denoted by flags made using coloured letters. Currently countries and other such places (made and planned) include:
Made: Germany (First zone, contains main house, entrance to the mine), the Hub (Rail hub leading to other places, planned expanantion into a 'rest shelter' with a large observation deck), Russia (Main lodge, build on islands, flag build on large natural pillar), Canada (Largest country, having 3 lodges currently. Planned expantions include: more houses, open bonfires, open crafting areas, raised walkways, as well as connecting it to the rail line.), Switzerland (one lodge, with kitchen area and lounge area. Large wooden walk way leads to to the top of the mountains its in.).
Planned: The Wastes (Large empty area between Hub and...), Creeper Land (A land blown apart by tnt. 'nuff said.), Atlantis (Entrance already slightly dug out beneath the ice in Russia.)

A meager tree house from what ive seen, many, many patches back

A large factory which included many different rail lines including rail lines for: lava/obsidian farming, underground quarries, underground crew quarters, 'secret' portal to hell with a portal inside hell leading into a massive treasury.

Like I actually pay attention to lectures.

Nadir

My house is slowly taking shape in the form of a huge toadstool - but I've ran out of bricks and am hunting for clay.

A creeper almost exploded near it, but I lured it off ^_^

Shjade

Quote from: Eden on February 03, 2011, 12:39:00 PM
A creeper almost exploded near it, but I lured it off ^_^
They don't explode if you kill them.
◕/◕'s

Nadir

you don't say

Unfortunately I was only packing red brick cubes at the time - they are not as effective as real bricks

Dizzi

I've hears stories of people fencing off thier homes, about ten+ blocks away so that if a creeper comes, it will not destroy their house

klamity

well, just learn to build a simple water trap, or, for much more visual effect, build one deep a** chasm. Personally, if I was doing this, the chasm would be around 70 blocks in INNER diameter, and the chasm itself would be 6 blocks wide. The house its protecting? A giant floating sphere. How to get in there? A rail line that goes all the way down almost, into the center part and then right up into the sphere.

Shjade

Quote from: klamity on February 03, 2011, 04:09:27 PM
well, just learn to build a simple water trap, or, for much more visual effect, build one deep a** chasm. Personally, if I was doing this, the chasm would be around 70 blocks in INNER diameter, and the chasm itself would be 6 blocks wide. The house its protecting? A giant floating sphere. How to get in there? A rail line that goes all the way down almost, into the center part and then right up into the sphere.
My. Extravagant.

So far I've found mass torches and environmental awareness to be quite adequate defenses for my four attempts at bases: a workbench and several furnaces plopped at the bottom of a natural cave, a log cabin built in the center of a small pond, a series of trees linked together with some wood planks between the boughs and a ladder blocked off by a doorway, and an igloo built around the mouth of a surface-level natural cave. As far as I can tell, as long as you have good lighting over roughly the entire chunk that contains access to your home area, you should be fine, as long as you pay attention to your surroundings when you're first coming outside. Building near water can help with that; creepers might be silent themselves, but they still splash when they hit water, so if you hear splashing around it's a good time to be on guard.

It is much harder to melee creepers to death safely online than offline though, I'll admit. Just that little bit of lag is enough that they stay in range to explode rather than defuse.
◕/◕'s