First Sign of 'Electioneering' and Campaign Mudslinging 2014.

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 04, 2013, 10:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

It's not even the election year yet, and I get to see my first attack add for someone running for office. Down here in Florida, Charlie Crist (Former R, Former Ind, now Democrat) has announced his decision to run for Governor as a Democrat. (I can relate a bit.. I know I'm not welcome in my own party anymore.. the penalty of being a Moderate Republican who thinks fiscal issues are more important than irrelevant social ones)

Thing is.. I LITERALLY just saw the campaign announce on the news.. not TEN minutes ago..and in the commercial break I saw my first attack add. That has to be a new record. 8 hours from announcement to attack ads.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/11/rick-scott-uses-dem-criticisms-in-first-tv-ad-attacking-opportunist-charlie-crist-.html
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/political/charlie-crist-announces-candidacy-and-braces-for-an-onslaught-of-attack-ads-from-rick-scott
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/11/02/video-first-charlie-crist-attack-ad-hits-airwaves-86400

Chris Brady

The fact that politics and mudslinging is now synonymous is saddening to me.  Back in the 80's it wasn't so vicious.  At least, that's what I remember.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ShadowFox89

It was vicious even in the 1790's.... Alexander Hamilton made accusations that Jefferson was man-whoring it up with his slaves (which were true), that he was an atheist (false), that he would free the slaves and start a civil war (who knows?), etc. It's nothing new and it's a long, bloody, dirty tradition of US politics.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Oniya

It's far more pervasive now, considering the ubiquity of the media.  There was a good chance in 1790 that someone would make it to the voting box without hearing anything about Jefferson's antics (true or false).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Love And Submission

Quote from: Oniya on November 05, 2013, 11:40:34 AM
It's far more pervasive now, considering the ubiquity of the media.  There was a good chance in 1790 that someone would make it to the voting box without hearing anything about Jefferson's antics (true or false).

Here's my problem with this argument . Yes Electioneering and Campaign Mudslinging is bad but isn't it better then  then alternatives? Like back when Caeser got  shanked by his senate  in the capital? Sure ,  You can criticize George Bush's policies but Dick Cheney didn't have his assassin flayed alive and hung after Ol' G.W Took a crossbow to the body on the whitehouse lawn.

There are plenty of  modern politicians I don't like but Henry The Eighth makes them look like  Ghandi.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Oniya

Criticizing policies is one thing.  Digging through someone's past for dirty laundry (a la Hamilton) is another.  So is spinning facts to the point that they sound like a 33 played at 78.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

Politics would be much more civilized if duels were legal.

Or, at the very least, C-Span would be worth watching.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 12:31:51 PM
Politics would be much more civilized if duels were legal.

Or, at the very least, C-Span would be worth watching.

That should be a t-shirt - or maybe a bumper sticker.

EDIT:  I read the line out loud, and the little Oni just asked me 'By duels, do you mean jousting?'

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on November 05, 2013, 12:33:59 PM
That should be a t-shirt - or maybe a bumper sticker.

EDIT:  I read the line out loud, and the little Oni just asked me 'By duels, do you mean jousting?'

Little Oni's idea might be even better than mine.

Yukina

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Yugishogun on November 05, 2013, 01:07:01 PM
Introducing the....JOUSTO-LECTION!!!!!

Though on second thought, it might result in a strong right-wing bias to the results. War elephants just make much better mounts than donkeys.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 01:20:12 PM
Though on second thought, it might result in a strong right-wing bias to the results. War elephants just make much better mounts than donkeys.

And then the Grand Duchy of Fenwick comes in and sweeps the elections.

Retribution

"Cage fight" sage nod "McCain did after all once call UFC human cock fighting."

TheGlyphstone

Bare-knuckle cage fights would be a quick and cheap way to replace the current crop of politicians, considering how old most of them are.

Retribution

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 01:50:28 PM
Bare-knuckle cage fights would be a quick and cheap way to replace the current crop of politicians, considering how old most of them are.

I can completely support this cause

Oniya

So, back on topic (although the idea of turning primaries into literal Battle Royals is very appealing) - it seems that one of the chief donators for this 'Let's Get To Work' PAC is involved in a mass lay-off.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/11/rick-scotts-lets-get-to-work-donor-lays-people-off.html

QuoteOne of his companies, Mortgage Investment Corp. (MIC), abruptly announced yesterday it's laying off 476 workers, including 256 people at its St. Petersburg headquarters. Fewer than 40 people will remain employed as the company winds down.

There's more scurrilous dealings at the clicky.  More reasons to overturn Citizens United.

Tairis

At this point I really don't think it's possible to change the course we're on until the train just flat out derails.
"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
- Robert Heinlein

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tairis on November 09, 2013, 10:55:59 PM
At this point I really don't think it's possible to change the course we're on until the train just flat out derails.

It is always possible.  Likely? No. Possible yes. 

Valthazar

It's interesting that the FTC has some very strict regulations over deceptive advertising, however, these rules do not apply to political advertising, because it falls under the freedom of speech doctrine.  Political ads can pretty much say anything they want (even total fabricated lies), however, they are not permitted to threaten anyone.

I don't really agree with this, but on the other hand, if the government truly is committing an injustice, and a grassroots political campaign is "exposing the lies" - then having this freedom of speech doctrine is critical for a free country.  Obviously in such a situation, we don't want the FTC censoring what is "real" and "not real."

http://content.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1843796,00.html

Callie Del Noire

Campaign finance is out of control. There is a MASSIVE about of influence brokering going on and to say that it's disenfranching the actual voters is not QUITE true but it is getting there. The outlook, at least among party leadership, is that with enough cash you can shape elections to the results you desire. The GOP tried it this last election cycle and it didn't QUITE work. (Hence Karl Rove's pouty meltdown on live TV)

I think they were just jumping the gun. THIS cycle I expect to see more special interest and SuperPAC money spread around to counter GOP discontent due to the shutdown. I think there is a faction within each party that thinks with enough cash y ou could get an Emu elected. 

Oniya

gaggedLouise

I remember someone saying in the good old days of a leading political party around here: "if the party elected a horse as its leader, then I'd vote for the horse".

That was back in the day when parties had not become election machines, though - and there was a good dosis of self-irony to the line.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on November 11, 2013, 10:46:22 AM
I remember someone saying in the good old days of a leading political party around here: "if the party elected a horse as its leader, then I'd vote for the horse".

That was back in the day when parties had not become election machines, though - and there was a good dosis of self-irony to the line.

Down here in the southern US it's called 'Yellow Dog <insert party of choice>'. Folks would vote in a 'yellow dog' if it wore the right party's tie pin on it's collar.

Kythia

We use "hatstand" in the UK - various areas would vote in a hatstand wearing a red/blue rosette.

My friend has a masterplan.  He thinks that candidates should be forbidden from mentioning their political party until after elections.  Put the policies forwards, let people vote on them then jump out from behind a bush and shout "PSYCHE!  I'm a <whatever>.  I'm off to Westminster, losers!" Or words to that effect.

Impossible to implement and enforce, but I think its a strong idea.

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on November 12, 2013, 12:31:35 PM
My friend has a masterplan.  He thinks that candidates should be forbidden from mentioning their political party until after elections.  Put the policies forwards, let people vote on them then jump out from behind a bush and shout "PSYCHE!  I'm a <whatever>.  I'm off to Westminster, losers!" Or words to that effect.

Tell him I think that's brilliant.  Might make some of the voters look farther than the campaign pin to make their decision.  (Hey, a girl can dream, right?)