XCOM: The Resistance [Interest Check]

Started by Sargepepper, April 05, 2016, 01:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargepepper

-----Vigilo Confido, Commander-----

Twenty years have passed since world leaders offered an unconditional surrender to alien forces and XCOM, the planet's last line of defense, was left decimated and scattered. Now the aliens rule Earth, building shining cities that promise a brilliant future for humanity on the surface, while concealing a sinister agenda below and eliminating all who dissent from their new order.Only those who live at the edges of the world have a margin of freedom. Here, a force gathers once again to stand up for humanity. Always on the run, the remnant XCOM forces must find a way to rise from the ashes, expose the insidious truth behind the occupation, and eliminate the alien threat once and for all. And we are the valiant few who have taken up arms for Humanity's sake, putting our lives on the line to try and converge on the plot of the Aliens who have infested this planet, and rid the world of them, once and for all. Welcome to XCOM, solider.

------------------

Hey guys and gals! I'm planning on running a small series on youtube, streaming a game of XCOM, and an idea came to mind from a series I ran a while ago. People create characters and I play them in the game! While I command the troops on the away missions, you all will live their lives on the ship as it flies around, recruiting for the resistance against ADVENT, the alien-human alliance. Sexy stuff is encouraged, because hey, this is E, after all. I'm fine with embellishments on the "canon" of the missions, such as where the troops get hit, why they are panicking, and overall reactions as to new and emerging threats in the world around them. In fact, I love it when people really get into the missions, RPing them out, shouting orders to each other, encouraging members of the team, distracting them at key moments....

This is just an interest check as to who would be interested in watching a series like that played through episodic releases on youtube? Questions and/or comments are great, let me know what you think, or if you have any ideas!

Sargepepper

So everything that happened "In-Game" would be controlled by me. Promotions, actions, training, etc. it reflects the 'Voulentold' mentality of something big like this.

Writers could write about anything they wished, mission or non mission related. The episodes would be weekly, and the content would vary. Maybe one mission, maybe more. Honestly, I'll probably average 2 missions per episode. The interesting part, to me, about XCOM2 is the random vague supply events. Things like reports of an unfinished ADVENTURE city, or a cave with alien markings. I'd love to see people take that prompt and kinda run with it.

You'll have general control of looks, as far as I can allow in the system. I'll try to help everyone look bad ass.

Death will be permenant. I'll do my best, but a big part of XCOM is the death of these troopers and the rush to fill the void they leave. I will have a cycling list of players who are either waiting for action, or haven't gotten to play, and those will get first dibs on new characters. With each Death, the next person on that roster will get to play and intro a character. Depending on interest, I might allow two.

Character promotion and class is entirely dependent on how the game goes. You start as Rookies, and how XCOM tells you to train is how you train. It'll be pretty exciting to see how the character reacts to the environment, as well as the development of the game.

I'll see if I can get my last few examples of my RP stream up here from the last time I played on here as examples.

Sargepepper

Here is the first of the series. It went on for several episodes, and the associated board that the RP was carried out on is in the comments.

The characters would have full access and creative power in everything but the game itself. The Rookies develop roles generally after their first engagement, so I have no control over their role until later. As for skills, since they are a critical component of how the game works, that would rest with me as well.

If your character dies, they have control of how they die. Like, of a grenade blows them up, they have the option to be taken by surprise, or heroically dive into the grenade to save their squad. The last tearful goodbye to their lover as the Chysallid poison consumes their body, or killing themselves to prevent a new set of Chysalids spawning from their corpse, not understanding how it works yet. The decisions that are made on the field are assumed to be their own, and I love seeing what writers can come up with given a particular scenario.

Inbetween missions, and if the soldiers are not on the mission, there's still plenty to write about inside the avenger (the base) and that it flies everywhere to gather materials, Intel, and new soldiers. I highly encourage the solider son the sidelines to participate in those away missions.

The quality of the stream will be greatly improved, for sure. This took place when I was still new to the concept.

Sargepepper

Well, lets hope some others relish the challenge of coming up with writing ideas based off of a set canon. I know a lot of the people who played in it last time were very creative!

Lustful Bride

Oh! I want a Ranger character! *all excited and a complete Xcom Nerd*

The only thing that could make this better is If there was a Version with Xenonauts.

Sargepepper

I'll make sure to try my best to line up everyone character with a preferred class, I can't make any guarantees though. Since everyone's starting as rookies, and promotions earned in game.

Though as I keep thinking of this, I'm super excited for what your interesting minds can come up with.

Has anyone read through the forum or watched the videos?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Sargepepper on April 08, 2016, 03:43:13 PM
I'll make sure to try my best to line up everyone character with a preferred class, I can't make any guarantees though. Since everyone's starting as rookies, and promotions earned in game.

Though as I keep thinking of this, I'm super excited for what your interesting minds can come up with.

Has anyone read through the forum or watched the videos?

I tried watching the videos but its rather amateurish (no offense meant) so I didn't really continue...but which Forum you talking about?

Sargepepper

Oh yeah, like i mentioned above, this was when I was first learning to stream and how to set things up, bad mic, etc. I've gotten much better, as can be seen by my more recent videos.

Here is the playlist of all 23 videos I ran with. I think I ended up loosing this fight, mostly because I was very new to the game when I played this one. However, this quickly became my favorite game after this, and i've easily put in a hundred or more hours into it.

Upon looking into it, apparently, the Forum this played out on was deleted :< So no indication of how this occured. However, this was based on ChristopherOdd's RP series, which can be watched here. I participated in this one and the transcripts of the journal entries can be found at this link. I'll be running things a bit differently, but hopefully, it will sync with everyone :>

Sargepepper

Naw, I expect a much smaller group with this game, so no such limit will be enforced. That was just because there were nearly 30 people, and it was to prevent two or three power posters from pushing everyone else out from their own journals.

Lustful Bride

Soo....should we get started making characters?

Im half sure in Xcom 2 you can make your own characters and put them into a Character Pool premade.

Sargepepper

Yeap!

I'm just seeing how many people want to play for the moment. I'm not at a place as of this moment where I can record these episodes. Three is good for the moment, I want to see if we can get 5-6. So spread the word :D

Lustful Bride

Heres an old Character I made that I liked. So I think I will reuse it.

Kelsey Mitchell

Character gender, sex and orientation: Female and Bisexual (mostly enjoys men)
Character Role: military, Resistance Fighter.
Build: 5'9''
Description: Kelsey is a young and lythe caucasian resistance fighter from the Painted Ladies tribe, which live in Nevada. As such she has a noticable tan and tan lines on her body from spending alot of time out scavenging and fighting the aliens. She keeps her hair a pale white and with purple eye liner around her eyes in the tradition of The Painted Ladies.

Quirks and oddities: She paints her hair white with purple highlights as part of tradition, though its not as elaborate as what most of the others wear and so they think she's just lazy. Due to how many Vipers there are in the desert her people are adept at fighting them and so she wears a necklace of Viper fans, and wears leather made from their hides. She even enjoys eating them (you have to cut out the poison gland first).

Knack: Tomahawk Girl:  Kelsey, like many of The Painted Ladies, has developed a skill at fighting Vipers, even in hand to hand combat of all things. Killing a Viper without a gun has almost become a rite of Passage among The Painted Ladies. Kelsey herself uses a Tomahawk given to her by her grandmother that she used to save herself during the invasion. But that doesn't mean she doesn't love a good Boomstick.

Personality: Kelsey is a resistance fighter who grew up with only memories of the world after the invasion. She never knew what the old world was like and loved hearing tales by the older members of what the world was like. On Scavenging missions she would take her time to find books and things of the old world to take back alongside food, she hates the aliens for ruining such a wonderful world and almost idealizes it like a lost paradise.

She lost her mother at the age of 7 to an Advent Raid against her village once. Her mother was shot by a MECH Trooper as she tried to fire a rocket at it and since then has had a hate of the soulless machines, whenever one is killed or she finds its rusted remains she cheers and hopes it was painful.

Due to growing up in a tribal like setting she will view her teammates of the newly revived XCOM as family. By the fact alone that they will be killing the invaders and trying to bring the old world back, they have her loyalty. She will fight for them and die for them, they are her tribe now.

Background: At 25 years of age, Kelsey remembers nothign of the world pre invasion. But from what they tell her it was an amazing place. The Painted Ladies survived the first year of the invasion after Area 51 fell and several towns nearby were attacked. Some of the women who first founded the Painted Ladies were soldiers, cops, and women from a biker gang. Together they formed a roaving caravan that avoided abduction and hit the ADVENT Troops whenever it could. Despite this they still faced attacks at odd times (From the aliens and even other humans) and would lose members, sometimes gaining members when hitting Raider groups and saving prisoners, or accepting random stragglers. Kelsey lost her own mother at the age of seven in a raid by ADVENT when they spent too long in one place and was forced to live with her grandmother and pick up the slack like many other girls due to the loss of many members.

She grew up knowing only work, due to the sudden decrease in their population, scavenging and fighting the aliens and raider groups that threatened the tribe. But still she longed for things to read and became enamored with tales of the old world. There came a time when, like with many women of the tribe she had to go through a rite of passage, which was to kill a Viper without the use of a gun. To accomplish this task her Grandmother gifted her a tomahawk that she had used to kill her first Sectoid. Since then she has killed many vipers and worn articles from them as trophies to remind her that the enemy wasn't immortal and could be beaten.

So when XCOM came by looking for resistance fighters and promising to kill aliens and help make the world like it used to be, Kelsey was one of the first to stand up.

The others thought of her as crazy, she was a lazy scavenger who constantly daydreamed, she wasn't even up to the task of making some face paint that was actually intimidating, but she didn't care. If the fires of the old world were going to rise again, someone needed to help fan it. Besides, if it meant a better life for her people that didn't include gutting giant snakes for food, then that was just a bonus.