Hogwarts; A Future House: Year Two, Now Recruiting! Last Chance!

Started by Aiden, March 03, 2014, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 04, 2014, 04:55:46 AM
Well, I want kind of check has this char concept already taken (and is there suitable pic or not);

My concept for my char is that he is transfer student from Russian academy, but my char's origins lay in Finland (I have always wanted roleplay my home country culture in some RP and Potterverse would fit in as it's closely to RL lore are involved).

Anyways because of relationship between Finland and Russia, only decade or so ago Russian academy started accept actual Finland origin students (before that all magic stuff which occurred in Finland was done by local families and disorganized fashion, 'country mages' so to speak). However, in most recent developments have occurred where Russia and Finland's relations are more strained and furthermore my char is a muggle; meaning there is no magician in his family up to great grandparents very least.

Reason why he ended up to Russian academy is that because he lived in close to the border of Russia (North-Karelia) so Russian mage was moving through the area when he sensed magic in works in area and she went investigate and then found my char spontaneously (not even knowing doing it) was using ancient Finland magic tradition by singing old songs and playing a kantele. It was all accidental outburst but it was potent enough to warrant send him to academy to learn how control it very least if not harness it (and usual academy standard he had to study use wands but in Russia it happens only in second year as they feel giving wands first year results just problems, so they use practice wands first year).

However, because of present strain of political climate between Russia and Finland and for him being muggle (and also being slightly chubby) and having no friends and was barely communicating with freshly studied Russian resulted him becoming ridiculed and bullied. Most first year teachers and staff was not aware of bullying occurring until through one serious accident they found out months lasting bullying and seeing that they could not make stop for it any fashion (all bullies came from influential long standing magician families), they felt best care they can do for their student was to transfer him entirely different climate and another academy. This case transfer to Hogwarts (as English skill with student was stronger than Russian anyways). Because of difficulties in first year in Russian academy (both linguistically and bullying) he should be considered first year student although he is now 18 in age.

If you're thinking of Durmstrang, it's not in Russia.  According to the Potterverse Wiki it's in Norway.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Loves

Lol. Thanks Flower for the link. I didn't even know about this thread. I was at the other one looking around with my welcome party hat on, siting at the table all alone

:p

I've only been writing in this game for two years, you would think I knew where stuff is by now.

-clears throat-

Anyway......

Hello all! And welcome to fantasy island Hogwarts!

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Flower

King Serperior

*Peeks in with character concept idea*

Alrighty, the character I have been keeping on the backburner is someone from a "Pureblood" family.  Note that when I say "Pureblood," I am speaking of the family's concept of it, not the one that everyone in this universe has.  The family's idea of "Pureblood" is that the center of the Family Tree, the trunk and strongest part, is that the firstborn of every generation has ALWAYS married someone who was the son/daughter of a witch and Wizard couple.  That said, the family has no qualms against Squibs, muggles, ect.  In fact, some of the family do have Muggleborn members. 

Now, the biggest and possibly most controversial thing I have for my Character Concept is that the family has a rather unique trait in that the firstborn of every generation is an exceptional Animagus and, from a very early age, has had the ability to transfigure themselves into various birds.  However, this trait only happens with the firstborns as everyone else in the family has to go through the same training and trials as the average person has to go through in order to Transfigure.  My character can Transfigure into a Crow.

Other than that, I am making him a regular character with no other special skills other than an odd excelling in Charms class and being a bookworm of high levels  *laughs*

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Loves

When I first read that I read it that the character could turn into a cow. Lol. I was like.....dude! 

As for book worms! I have two! They rock!

ON HIATUS AGAIN

King Serperior

Quote from: Loves on March 04, 2014, 06:44:54 AM
When I first read that I read it that the character could turn into a cow. Lol. I was like.....dude! 

As for book worms! I have two! They rock!
Cow?  *laughs*  I do have a character for an unmade game in my head who can become a Cape Buffalo if that counts?  :P  A cow....  *shakes head and laughs*

Also, I totally agree on the bookworms  :3  *Bookworm high-five*

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Loves

Quote from: King Serperior on March 04, 2014, 06:46:57 AM
Cow?  *laughs*  I do have a character for an unmade game in my head who can become a Cape Buffalo if that counts?  :P  A cow....  *shakes head and laughs*

Also, I totally agree on the bookworms  :3  *Bookworm high-five*

-giggles and high-fives back-

It just proves that the screen on my iPhone is way too small!

:)

-giggles at the thought of cows-

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: LunarSage on March 04, 2014, 06:14:18 AM
If you're thinking of Durmstrang, it's not in Russia.  According to the Potterverse Wiki it's in Norway.

Ah, nop. I did not aim to Durmstrang nor anyway mentioned in my char concept....what made you think I was aiming for Durmstrang?

LunarSage

Because you mentioned a school in Russia and as far as I know there are only four schools in the world; Hogwarts,  Salem, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons.  I was thinking you may have assumed that Durmstrang as the "neighbors from the north" was Russian.  Not an assumption I would blame anyone for.

Lord Drake

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 04, 2014, 07:09:17 AM
Ah, nop. I did not aim to Durmstrang nor anyway mentioned in my char concept....what made you think I was aiming for Durmstrang?

Probably the fact that it is the canon east europe academy.

I do not know if there is a canon academy in Russia. If there is not, you will have to diacuss its details with Aiden and get his approval!

XD
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Amelita

Well, I want kind of check has this char concept already taken (and is there suitable pic or not);

My concept for my char is that he is transfer student from Russian academy, but my char's origins lay in Finland (I have always wanted roleplay my home country culture in some RP and Potterverse would fit in as it's closely to RL lore are involved).

Ha! I just did the same with my Professor character ^^ He's born and raised in my country (Iceland) ;D

Quote from: LunarSage on March 04, 2014, 07:36:28 AM
Because you mentioned a school in Russia and as far as I know there are only four schools in the world; Hogwarts,  Salem, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons.  I was thinking you may have assumed that Durmstrang as the "neighbors from the north" was Russian.  Not an assumption I would blame anyone for.

Actually, the books imply schools in different locations as well. It's commonly assumed there are wizarding schools in a bunch of places, and huge huge Russia is IMO very likely to have its own school. I mean it's nearly a continent worth of land, just sayin ::)

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

King Serperior

Just to be sure I understand correctly:  First Years in this game are 17, right? 

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Amelita

They are 16, to turn 17 in their first year. :)

(they will have turned 16 at some point before or on september 1st, 16 years prior to their first day in school)

~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~

King Serperior

Alrighty then  ^_^  Thanks, Amelita.  Now, I can begin filling in my character concept.  Soon, you will find a person with natural Transfiguration talent (due to family trait) coming to his first year at Hogwarts  :3

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Amelita

Quote from: King Serperior on March 04, 2014, 07:52:14 AM
Alrighty then  ^_^  Thanks, Amelita.  Now, I can begin filling in my character concept.  Soon, you will find a person with natural Transfiguration talent (due to family trait) coming to his first year at Hogwarts  :3

You're welcome!

And, remember you need Aiden's approval for something as huge as your animagus idea. It's been stressed in the game that it is a skill they need to work very hard for, so having it approved isn't a given ;)

King Serperior

Quote from: Amelita on March 04, 2014, 07:55:06 AM
You're welcome!

And, remember you need Aiden's approval for something as huge as your animagus idea. It's been stressed in the game that it is a skill they need to work very hard for, so having it approved isn't a given ;)

Alright, I'll wait for a while then.  Just a bit excited to bring this character to life after rolling it around in my head for w couple of years :P

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Loves

you can always request that he works towards that as his goal as part of your character plot. Stating that the potential is within his family, as you have said.

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Amelita

lol I'm not telling you not to write him up :P I'm not a GM. Write up your concept, it goes through Aiden anyway ;)

ElvenKitten

Might be interested in joining though I'm not that familiar with the setting.

Flower

Hey Elven!

I don't believe an extensive knowledge of Potterverse is necessary to make a character. My suggestion would be to perhaps create a Muggleborn. I know one of our characters from the prior batch of first years did not attend the preparatory magic school. That way your character can be as new to the setting and magic as yourself. Just an idea.

It would need approval from Aiden of course along with a plausible explanation within the character's history to explain the reason behind your character not attending magical prep school. :)

If that doesn't sound fun, I know there are plenty of folks here willing to talk for hours about Potterverse then you would be up to speed in little to no time.

LunarSage

Quote from: ElvenKitten on March 04, 2014, 08:42:36 AM
Might be interested in joining though I'm not that familiar with the setting.
I've never read the books.  I only saw the movies and I've done alright.  When I didn't know something I just asked in the OOC and tons of folks helped expand my knowledge of the setting.  We're a friendly bunch.  :-)

Aiden

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on March 04, 2014, 02:41:24 AM
I'm a bit confused.  The FAQ says to create our own wands, but the character sheet says to leave that part blank if we're creating a 1st year.

Sorry for the confusion,

You can create the wand, but it is not "Theirs" IC until they visit Ollivanders.

So if you do make the wand, PM it to me, or add it as a side note at the bottom of the character list when messaging me.

Aiden

Anyways because of relationship between Finland and Russia, only decade or so ago Russian academy started accept actual Finland origin students (before that all magic stuff which occurred in Finland was done by local families and disorganized fashion, 'country mages' so to speak). However, in most recent developments have occurred where Russia and Finland's relations are more strained and furthermore my char is a muggle; meaning there is no magician in his family up to great grandparents very least.

Reason why he ended up to Russian academy is that because he lived in close to the border of Russia (North-Karelia) so Russian mage was moving through the area when he sensed magic in works in area and she went investigate and then found my char spontaneously (not even knowing doing it) was using ancient Finland magic tradition by singing old songs and playing a kantele. It was all accidental outburst but it was potent enough to warrant send him to academy to learn how control it very least if not harness it (and usual academy standard he had to study use wands but in Russia it happens only in second year as they feel giving wands first year results just problems, so they use practice wands first year).

However, because of present strain of political climate between Russia and Finland and for him being muggle (and also being slightly chubby) and having no friends and was barely communicating with freshly studied Russian resulted him becoming ridiculed and bullied. Most first year teachers and staff was not aware of bullying occurring until through one serious accident they found out months lasting bullying and seeing that they could not make stop for it any fashion (all bullies came from influential long standing magician families), they felt best care they can do for their student was to transfer him entirely different climate and another academy. This case transfer to Hogwarts (as English skill with student was stronger than Russian anyways). Because of difficulties in first year in Russian academy (both linguistically and bullying) he should be considered first year student although he is now 18 in age.

PM me about this Zear and we can hammer out details.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, will PM it. Anyways my idea was that Russia has it's own magic school which does not have any canon lore in it (so Aiden would think details of the school, so far I suggested that the school does not give wands to first year students and first year students practice by practice wands in there in first year. As I do want role play visit to the wand shop).

ElvenKitten

Got some ideas for a sneaky first year muggle born,  just working on character sheet now, actually a bit excited  ;D