Something I wanted to get out....

Started by Nico, May 16, 2011, 02:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to say that I am glad and very proud to be a part of the huge E family. It is a tolerant and respectful community, but so many people out there still suffer because of homophobia/transphobia and discrimination. It makes me sad and sometimes I even feel ashamed for what people can do to one another.

We are all humans, we all breathe, laugh, cry, love and live. Raising awareness is such an important thing. One person can make a difference. :-) And we all can be stronger than hate.

Thank you!

Kendra

I love the avatars and banners you choose to use to bring awareness Nich.
It would be lovely to say that in this day and age peoples tolerance has waned quite a bit but sadly it hasn't.
It isn't you however who should be ashamed of other peoples behaviour, it is those who choose to behave inhumanely.

Thank you for always making a difference Nich - you're an inspiration.

<3

for those who want to sport a piece of the rainbow in their siggies you can use this code ...
[img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/8/84/Pride.jpg[/img]

Xandria

Great thread Nicholas!  Awareness, acceptance, tolerance and unconditional love are all things that we should be reminded of and breathe in daily.  My little brother had a horrific time in school because he's gay, and it's an issue very close to my heart, especially for young people who struggle to find their identity in an often less than accepting world. 

The depth of intolerance that still rears it's ugly head never ceases to shock me, but I like to think, and I hope, that each day we move one step closer to true equality for everyone.  I'm proud to be a part of the E. community too, and I think it's a shining example of wonderful things can be when we remain respectful and embrace each other's differences rather than focus on them. 

So thank you Nic, for inspiring me to share the rainbow with you today!  :-)
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. -Oscar Wilde

Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. - Albert Camus

AdriRaven

I don't have a banner or anything like that to share, but I can spare some words.  We don't have many gays out here where I lived, so up until a few years back, I was fairly skittish around them, despite the fact that I knew several on-line.  Then I moved in with a buddy, his stepbrother... and his stepbrother's boyfriend.  That's when things really clicked.  They were very cool, and pretty much the same as every other pair of guys I knew.  They weren't constantly doing prons with each other, but you could tell they were very much in love.  That helped me get over the 'okay, what do I say/what don't I say' questions pretty quickly.  I've been living elsewhere for the past few years, now, but I always chalk that up as a very positive learning experience.  I haven't posted too much, but I've been lurking around the community, and I like what I see, especially when I see calls for tolerance and dignity like these.

Rainbowtech

So far, I like this community a lot. The tolerance here is amazing.

Shjade

Maaaybe not the right thread for it, but it's the one that reminded me of the question, so...I'll ask!

Why is the rainbow/prismatic color an emblem for homosexual tolerance when the visual is more suggestive of racial tolerance? Last I checked, sexual preference doesn't have much correlation to colors.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag_%28LGBT_movement%29

I found it interesting that there used to be eight colors, including pink and turquoise.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nico

Quote from: Shjade on May 16, 2011, 07:41:26 PM
Maaaybe not the right thread for it, but it's the one that reminded me of the question, so...I'll ask!

Why is the rainbow/prismatic color an emblem for homosexual tolerance when the visual is more suggestive of racial tolerance? Last I checked, sexual preference doesn't have much correlation to colors.
Personally, I think it's a symbolic thing. It stands for diversity and hope. I don't think it stands for sexuality per se. Defining someone over the sexual aspect isn't really a good thing. And, like with many other symbols, it can have individual importance as well. ;)

You just have to take the example of the Swastika. It's a very old symbol used in Buddhism, Hinduism and there it means (amongst other things) 'lucky'. And it was abused by the Nazis. One symbol, so many meanings.

In the end, I think the rainbow represents individuality. We all are, after all. ;)

If you're interested, here are some flags/symbols and their meaning.

gaggedLouise

I don't think of it as being one-way connected to sexuality either. In some contexts the rainbow has been a symbol of unity between native-born and immigrants, who can have many different skin colours and languages of course: unity against racism. Obama's "rainbow coalition" was as much about bringing together people of different skin hues as about some other "margin groups" (however you'll define margin). And the image has an oblique point against making the one who is non-standard have to define him/herself in terms of their colour or sexual orientation all the time.

Some days it can feel empowering for sure to have the aura of being black, gay, etc hanging over you, but in the end it isn't really a bonus to have everything you say or do pinned down and interpreted by reference to your blackness/gayness/non-nativeness, and so on. Not half the people who are gay want to have others thinking at all times: "uh, you're like those Fab Five dudes, then? and you groom your eyebrows all the time? Man I know why you talk like you do..." - the rainbow, in the end, is both multicoloured and colourblind.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

MasterMischief

The University of Hawai'i's football team is the Rainbow Warriors.  At least it used to be.

EDIT:  Looks like they changed it in 2000 to just be Warriors.  :(

Baldur

Ok, so I was just browsing and happened upon this topic and seeing as my friend Xandria has posted here I thought it fitting I should throw in my two cents... ok, maybe half-pence since I'm not that interesting...

I was in the U.S. military from 1988-1992 right before Don't ask, Don't tell came into effect. I was 17 at the time and straight so I didn't really understand what the big deal was. And, being straight and not that much into politics I hadn't really paid the whole thing much attention until recently. See, even though I believed in complete equality I kept my mouth shut so as not to make waves, but mostly cause it didn't really have an impact on my life. It has only been the last couple of years, with the fight for rights in California and the fight for rights in the military, that I have realized how much it means to me personally and more importantly, how much it means to homosexuals in the U.S. and across the world. I can be silent no longer!

I am a cop. And though in general I truly believe that those in my profession are more tolerant than others, I also see enough bigotry to make me angry. Part of me feels like I don't have the right to be angry. I haven't suffered persecution or name calling because of my sexual preference... but I am angry about it. I recently had a "disagreement" with a co-worker over our different opinions on Don't Ask, Don't tell and I was vocal enough to cause my whole office to tease me about starting a fight. However, in my "vocal" and angry approach to the subject, my co-workers have quit using derogatory words in my presence. Or when they do, they apologize to me. Which is odd since I have never thought of myself as an "activist" of any kind.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I feel very strongly about this subject. It blows my mind that marriage is off limits to a gay couple. What the fuck is that about!! And rights which have been won are being attacked in states like Wisconsin! I feel that the decisions on the rights of same sex couples is as fundamental to our existence as a free nation as anything our founding fathers did to build this country in the first place!

Enough of my angry soap box. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I think there are plenty of people who are like I used to be. People who feel as strongly about it but just stay quiet because of the false belief that it doesn't affect them. I believe that when all of those people finally find the heart, not the courage, but the heart to stand up for whats right... well then we can have the equality we deserve.

And I second Xandria's comment that although I find it truly mind boggling that prejudice of this sort still exists... I also feel that every day, the old outdated modes of thinking are dying off and a new younger and more pure way of thinking is growing. As evidenced by places like Elliquiy.

And a question for the less than straight members out there... If I think Jason Statham is one of the most gorgeous men on the planet... (I could get lost in his eyes) does that mean I might be gay?

;)

Nico

Thank you for the input! :-)
I can imagine that you were angry, and I can relate to it. Being called any kind of names is unnecessary. Them apologizing is odd, but it shows that they KNOW it's not right.

Quote from: Baldur on May 19, 2011, 11:23:46 PM
And a question for the less than straight members out there... If I think Jason Statham is one of the most gorgeous men on the planet... (I could get lost in his eyes) does that mean I might be gay?

;)
Not necessarily? ~laughs~ I mean, I am gay and I find several women very attractive. As I always say.. I am gay, not blind. A friend of mine finds Johnny Depp totally attractive, and the guy is straight as an arrow. Appreciating beauty is genderblind, I believe. We appreciate a lot - but there is a difference between appreciation and sexual attraction. ;)

I can't blame you, though! Jason -is- hotstuff. ;D

MasterMischief

Quote from: Baldur on May 19, 2011, 11:23:46 PM

Does it matter if it does?  I am half joking.  Half, because I do not think it does and the other half is so what if you are attracted to someone...male, female, transgendered.

Blitzy

I loooove E. I love the diversity and the sense of community; the bonds between gay, straight, transgendered, and bisexual are here, with homophobia and bigotry for the most part silent if not completely absent. It makes me proud to be a member of Elliquiy. :)
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Blitzy

Also... If you have about 20 minutes, you should watch this.

http://abc.go.com/watch/what-would-you-do/SH5555951/VD55128139/what-would-you-do-520

Skip to the fourth little white line out of five. Don't miss the first one very close to the beginning. It's a show about what would people do if they didn't know cameras were watching. I saw this last night and was crying. I hated hearing the actors say what they did, but there may be a few things that shock you... in a good way.

To those outside of the US, where they are? Texas? It's not known overly well for their support of gay rights, at least outwardly.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Shjade

Interesting video.

During the second run with that waitress I have to admit I found myself wondering if the customers would have been equally supportive of a male couple. And then they decided to test that for me. Nice.

Though the NY/TX comparison seems like the size of the restaurant might have been as much a factor as the location. That NY restaurant was PACKED. Much more room for anonymous/bystander effect. The Texas restaurant looked more small-town folks here know each other kind of place, which is an atmosphere that encourages action - either positive or negative - more than the larger packed space. Doesn't it?

Either way, interesting video.
◕/◕'s

MasterMischief

Unfortunately, I do not think a suburb of Dallas is an accurate representation of rural Texas.

Rainbowtech

Saerrael

Shjade

Quote from: Rainbowtech on May 22, 2011, 10:12:26 PM

Actually I am a little tempted to make some snarky remark at the guy on the left for wearing his shorts so low...but that's another story.
◕/◕'s

Saerrael

So low?
Too low or not low enough?
*looks Angelic and flees the scene before he gets kicked out*

Rainbowtech

Quote from: Shjade on May 22, 2011, 10:22:56 PM
Actually I am a little tempted to make some snarky remark at the guy on the left for wearing his shorts so low...but that's another story.

go ahead, i won't mind.

Nico

Xandria

OK, I know this thread isn’t specifically about the “Don’t ask, Don’t tell” policy in the US Military, but my friend Baldur made so many great points in his post that it really got me thinking.  So, I hope nobody minds if I second everything he said, and add a couple of my own thoughts from my perspective as a Canadian.

In Canada, the right to openly disclose your sexual orientation in the Military has not been an issue since 1992 with the repeal of Canadian Forces Administrative Order (CFAO) 19-20, Sexual Deviation - Investigation, Medical Investigation and Disposal. There was also a huge study done proving the performance of our military didn't decline AT ALL from this repeal, and funnily enough, it was conducted by US researchers.  Anyway, on the surface, and in the clinical black and white history listed on sites like Wikipedia, it seems like any other obsolete law swept aside in favour of appeasing a more tolerant and moderate public sentiment. However, precious few details about the injustices and human suffering resulting from the enforcement of such prejudiced and hateful legislation, accompany these facts, and I think that is a tremendous shame. 

Though Canada is quite tolerant and accepting now with many laws that protect the rights of all homosexuals, we have a disgraceful history with how we treated our homosexual soldiers in the Armed Forces, with what most have labelled a Witch Hunt perpetrated by a little known Canadian Forces Special Investigations Unit. I was shocked to learn of this, and there is a ten-minute news clip that details exactly what went on, and interviews soldiers who were the victim of the policy and subsequent interrogation. It is something I suspect few of my fellow Canadians have ever heard about.  http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/1221258968/ID=1644428083  Furthermore, for anyone inclined to delve deeper into understanding the damage done by Canada’s version of “Don’t ask, Don’t tell”, there is a poignant one hour documentary available online at the National Film Board of Canada called “Open Secrets”.  It details the treatment of our soldiers and veterans during WWII and after, and is something everyone who is against the repeal of these laws should watch. 

Prejudices and fear run deep.  I know this, and I know change cannot happen overnight, but I also believe that people who are against equal rights for gays and lesbians do not actually stop and take the time to educate themselves, and they typically refuse to question where their beliefs are coming from.  Nor do they ever really look at the human faces that suffer from the injustices of these hateful laws, but perhaps if they did, and perhaps if, as Baldur said, more people took the time to speak out and challenge the intolerance, then we could affect the kind of changes we need that much quicker.

Anyway, that is more than enough of my .02!  It’s just something I do feel very strongly about and felt compelled to share.  The good news is I truly do believe we are moving forward in positive ways every day, and I am proud to live in a country where gay men and women can marry, raise families and enjoy all the same rights and privileges as straight couples.  Because of this, my brother and his partner are happily married, and I now have the best brother-in-law a big sister could ever ask for!  Now I’m just hoping for a new little nephew or niece!  ;D

Oh and I wholeheartedly second what Nicholas said...Hell yes that's a couple!!  :D
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. -Oscar Wilde

Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. - Albert Camus