News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

[Kiss & Tell] On Time

Started by Butterflykiss, October 19, 2009, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterflykiss

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg, US biographer & poet (1878 - 1967)

--

Time passes. Time flies. Time waits for no man.

Let us spend some time on time.

--

Time is a measure of distance. The smallest, insignificant second is but a tiny increment of the vast distance measured by the earth’s slow spin through space.

Time is relative.

It stands still. Single instances that stand out so clearly. A kiss. A victory. A loss. The world seems to stop spinning and the experienced moment becomes the center of everything.

It crawls. The relentless ticking of the clock as each minute grinds its way to some goal. We wait and watch, trying to urge with will alone that the hands move faster, that they bring us closer to some desired moment.

It flies. In the midst of something wonderful, we often forget to check its progress, only to find that it has advanced beyond our notice, and we must scramble to catch up.

It runs out. In our rush to complete multiple tasks, we find ourselves short on this most difficult to come by resource. As a result, our tasks may sometimes go unfinished.

It passes. Sliding through our fingers like sand. We do our best to preserve it. Memories kept in the lockbox of the mind. Tokens from the past. Snapshots of moments.

But memories are forgotten. Tokens are lost. Pictures fade.

Time erases all things.

--

Time is of the essence. For all its infiniteness, we are each only given some small portion of it. There are no extensions.

How much of of your time do you give to what truly matters to you? How much is wasted on the trivial, on the unimportant, on the undesired?

How do you choose to spend your time?

--

Make time for what matters. Later, there will not be time to do so.

Zinder

This is so beautiful!

Thank you, Blood Butterfly. You gave me much to think about and I'll make some time to do so...

Butterflykiss

Thank you, Zinder, for taking the time to read it and comment~  ;)

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it.

Trieste

I once came across a quote that I thought was pretty poignant. I don't recall it word for word and I've since lost the article, but it went along the lines of "All of us need to remember that we have only a single, finite time on this Earth. When that time has run out, none of us, not even the richest, will be able to buy even one moment more."

It always gave me a little bit of a creepy feeling, but I like to surround myself with reminders that there's not a do-over, and I don't have infinite time despite my infinite ambitions.

alaricvanvelsor

a poem as wonderful as your name :)