Looking for a DM for an Antiquity game [UN], [NC-E looks likely] [D&D 3.5]

Started by Blaze, January 21, 2009, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

I'm a fan of games set during the Antiquity. It's got it all - gods, monsters, orgies, orgies with gods and monsters, magic, heroes, tragic heroes, maidens and a whole lot of other fun stuff 8)! Especially ancient Greece... :P

Thing is, I want to play it, not to GM it! We're looking for a GM, again, since the American Patriot is banned for an unknown period! Like-minded players are also welcome, of course.
So, if you are a player, sign for the game in this topic. If you are a GM, write here and suggest a plot or setting to hook potential players. Most people are at least halfway trough their characters for D&D3.5, and there are a few ready.

Of course, I'd suggest that you look at my Ons and Offs first, to see if we are likely to play well together -but you know that already, don't you ;)?

Here is an example for a plot. Of course, any GM is welcome to edit it or invent another. As long as the setting is in the Antiquity and it's a system game, I'd be glad to play it.

Hera is angry at Delphi (now, this girl's got anger management, if I've ever seen one - i swear by Herakles!). She finds out that Zeus is cheating on her (what, again?) - with a priestess living there. In her wrath, she sends a plague to the whole aria - a beast unlike any that has ever been seen in Greece.
A prophet from the local temple sees that only the twins, born form the breath of the goddess Hestia will be able to rid the land of the trrible beast.
The characters are the group of would-be heroes, tasked to find the twins and persuade them to help. Of course, their way will be a long and perilous one, with a great many incidents (courtesy of Hera(tm), now with free shipping offers!). And then the twins are not that eager to risk their lives, having their own problems (they are not classical heroes either)...

In order to have s little bit of structure and coordination, I've made a list of everyone that has shown interest in the game, and the ideas that they have for a personal character.

Sonja - the princess role if no one has taken it, probably roll it as a Cleric
Lavender - I'd be the high priestess in training thing
Scriptophile - female warrior-type, maybe a temple servant to Athena.
Pyro – hasn't decided
Devilstrike - a 'basher' type
schnookums - hasn't decided
Muse - Female Warrior.   *Raises hand, sort of"  Huntress of Artmeis here.
RubySlippers - I will go for a human, hailing from Lesvos after being at Sapphos Academy, a bard likely wouldn't exist so go for a rogue that focuses on performing and fighting. As a rogue with the dropping of the backstab skills for fighter bonus ranks. She will be Spartan or perhaps Minoan, both had strong roles for women the latter might be more fitting.
Akiko - female of royal blood, half-gods, but my thought/idea was to go with an Aasimar, or half celestial servant
bluejay - hasn't decided
Blaze - daughter of a nymph

And here is something that may be useful to everyone.
Aphrodite
Goddess of love, lust, beauty, wife of Hephaestus. Ares is her lover. Eros is her son. Known as the most beautiful of the Greek goddesses. Her symbols are the scepter, myrtle, and dove.
Apollo
God of music, prophecies, poetry, and archery. Also said to be the god of light and truth. Is associated with the sun. Also referred to as the most beautiful of the gods. He is Artemis's twin brother, and son of Zeus. His symbols are the bow, lyre, and laurel.
Ares
God of war, murder and bloodshed. Brother to Athena, and is the son of Zeus. Has an affair with Aphrodite. His symbols are vultures, dogs, boars, and a spear.
Artemis
Goddess of the hunt and wild things, and the moon. Protector of the dewy young. She became associated with the moon. Apollo is her twin brother.Artemis is a virgin goddess. Her symbols are the bow, dogs, and deer.
Athena
Goddess of wisdom, warfare, handicrafts and reason. Sister of Ares, and is the daughter of Zeus. Sprung from Zeus's head in full body armor. She is the wisest of the gods. Her symbols are the aegis, owl, and olive tree.
Demeter
Goddess of fertility, grain and harvest. Demeter is a daughter of Cronus and Rhea and sister of Zeus. Her symbols are the scepter, torch, and corn.
Dionysus
God of wine, parties/festivals, madness and merriment. He represents not only the intoxicating power of wine, but also its social and beneficial influences. His symbols are the grape vine, ivy, and thyrsus.
Hades
God of the underworld. Brother of Poseidon, Zeus and Hera, and consort to Persephone. His symbols are the bident, the Helm of Darkness, and the three-headed dog, Cerberus.
Hephaestus
God of fire and the forge (god of fire and smiths) with very weak legs. He was thrown off Mount Olympus as a baby by his mother and in some stories his father. He makes armor for the gods and other heroes like Achilles. Son of Hera and Zeus is his father in some accounts. Married to Aphrodite, but she does not love him because he is deformed and, as a result, is cheating on him with Ares. He had a daughter named Pandora. His symbols are an axe, a hammer and a flame.
Hera
Goddess of marriage, women, and childbirth. Zeus' wife and sister. Appears with peacock feathers often. Her symbols are the scepter, diadem, and peacock.
Hermes
God of flight, thieves, commerce, and travelers. Messenger of the gods. He showed the way for the dead souls to Hades's realm. He shows up in more myths than any other god or goddess. Likes to trick people and is very inventive. Hermes invented the lyre using a turtle shell and sinew. His symbols are the caduceus and winged boots.
Hestia
Goddess of the hearth and home, the focal point of every household. Daughter of Rhea and Cronus. Gave up her seat as one of the Twelve Olympians to tend to the sacred flame on Mount Olympus for Dionysus. Her symbol is the hearth.
Poseidon
God of the sea. He created horses from sea foam. God of earthquakes as well. Also called 'Earth Shaker' and 'Storm Bringer'. His symbols are horses, sea foam, dolphins, and a trident.
Zeus
The king of the gods, the ruler of Mount Olympus and the god of the sky and thunder. His symbols are the thunderbolt, eagle, bull, and oak.

A list of mythological Greek creatures

Remember when it rained.
I felt the ground and looked up high
And called your name.
Ohhhhhh Remember when it rained.
In the darkness I remain.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Hi there,

How far back into antiquity would you like to go? There is so many wonderful eras to play with. i've been thinking of dusting off my fantasy RP stuff and trying my hand at playing a Griffon Rider instead of a Mage for a change.
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

Blaze

Well if I must say a specific time that would be IV-III BC. But in general because the setting will be with fantasy elements time is not a big issue.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Kewl. :)

if you'd like there are several places we could RP in... let me see if i can find all the notes for a fantasy game and see what we can do! :)
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Blaze

I know the perfect please... for me! Delphi. But we can always use the classic Crete.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Delphi would be perfect! Ancient Greece was an amazing time and place. the mythologies where something else as well. Of course Norse Mythology has been one of my favorites as well. Norse Elves are a passion of mine. the tall, thin, blue skinned elves are one of my favorite mythological races to RP when i get a chance! might have to play one that is travelling to Greece to carry a message from the Norse Gods to the Greek Gods!

Blaze

Greet, we have a setting. Now we just need a couple more players - I want to play with a group.
And unless you are willing to GM the game, we need a GM, too ;)!
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

Blaze

A system would be nice. It maces the game more structured and more fair in my еyes. What systems have you played?
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Sonja

Count me in as interested, though I have only a passing familiarity with GURPS.

Blaze

I hope you join the game. I don't know if we will be playing by GURPS, but it's not such a hard system, and I know from experience that it can be learned quickly.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Thufir Hawat

I might be interested in joining this game, although I don't want to GM it ;).
Ah well, let's see if you get a GM first. I'll decide later ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

The American Patriot

I don't know how to use the GURPS system unfortunately... I normally use the d20 system to model a great deal of many game settings. if you don't know how to make a character using the system i can walk that through easily. Just add me to your internet messengers and send me a request saying that you're 'Blaze's Hellicenic RP'

Lavender

I'm interested, but I also don't know GURPs.  The only system I know that might be compatible is 3.5.  But if I had help and patient co-writers, I could possibly try a new system.
I'm feeling a little bit better!  I might not post with the frequency I used to for awhile, but at least I'm not as bad as I was.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Turn me on/Turn me off and find a list of the games I'm lucky enough to write in as well.

Literary Longings

"Goin' on a year now, and I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" --Kaylee

"Tell me I'm pretty, Wash." "Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion." "Cause I'm pretty?" "Cause you're pretty." --Kaylee & Wash

Scriptophile

I would be very interested in something like this. <3 I've never played in an RPG with a dice system before though, and it looks like that is where this is headed, so if the GM is willing to put up with a total newbie... I'm in.

The American Patriot

of course i can handle newbies... all of us have had to start somewhere!

Blaze

Scriptophile, I know what it's like to go from freeform to a system. It's not as hard as some people say, and my friends have had the same experience!
Besides, there's always a first time, right (just like in... whatever, let's keep it PG-13)?

Quote from: Lavender on January 31, 2009, 03:09:58 PM
I'm interested, but I also don't know GURPs.  The only system I know that might be compatible is 3.5.  But if I had help and patient co-writers, I could possibly try a new system.
3.5 works for me. No need for you to learn a new system.
So, now that we all agree that it's going to be D&D 3.5 (we do agree on that, right?), who is up to the challenge of DMing it?
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

i have no problem DMing, but if there's someone else who would like to run, i'd gladly step aside.

Lavender

Seeing as how Nathaniel Hale is one of my all-time favorite patriots, I think that The American Patriot should do it if he's willing.  :p
I'm feeling a little bit better!  I might not post with the frequency I used to for awhile, but at least I'm not as bad as I was.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Turn me on/Turn me off and find a list of the games I'm lucky enough to write in as well.

Literary Longings

"Goin' on a year now, and I ain't had nothin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!" --Kaylee

"Tell me I'm pretty, Wash." "Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion." "Cause I'm pretty?" "Cause you're pretty." --Kaylee & Wash

Scriptophile

Blaze

Quote from: The American Patriot on January 31, 2009, 03:21:11 PM
i have no problem DMing, but if there's someone else who would like to run, i'd gladly step aside.
Of course I don't want you to step aside, AP! So, now comes the big question: what do you think of the plot I offered in the first post?

That questions goes to all of you, actually.

Quote from: Lavender on January 31, 2009, 03:31:14 PM
Seeing as how Nathaniel Hale is one of my all-time favorite patriots, I think that The American Patriot should do it if he's willing.  :p
Ok, and I'd like to play with you! Yay!

Quote from: Scriptophile on January 31, 2009, 03:32:12 PM
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to this then~
Great! Now, everybody's happy! Or so I hope...
I believe the AP would gladly help you with the system. As will I!
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Pyro

Hmm, well, I was poked to reply here, so i figure I will.

I'm no stranger to 3.5, so I'm okay with that. Just gotta know what everyone is planning...

Blaze

Quote from: Pyro on January 31, 2009, 04:10:42 PM
Just gotta know what everyone is planning...
Good question. I offered a plot, but there are still no comments on it, including from the DM.
Either way, you are welcome to join!

Also, AP - what level do we start and what classes are available?
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

The American Patriot

let's start out at 4th level... with all of the standard classes (and if you can show me a class you'd like to try, we can see about it)...

Lavender

As we're kinda going with a homebrew(ish) world, are any/all races up for grabs or which ones are not might be a better question.  Stat generation?  Wealth?

Literary Longings

Blaze

Quote from: The American Patriot on January 31, 2009, 04:34:05 PM
let's start out at 4th level... with all of the standard classes (and if you can show me a class you'd like to try, we can see about it)...
What kind of character I'm going to play depends entirely on the kind of game we are going to have. So, anything on the plot?
I was thinking about a priestess, or a rogue, we'll see.

Quote from: Lavender on January 31, 2009, 04:36:28 PM
As we're kinda going with a homebrew(ish) world, are any/all races up for grabs or which ones are not might be a better question.  Stat generation?  Wealth?
Oh please, tell me we are going without magical items available at character creation...
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Pyro

Hmm... What races *are* available? I've got a whole bunch of supplement books...

Classes too, I am curious about...

I'll pull some sorta Tiefling Warlock thing if allowed...

The American Patriot

let's see... let's try to stick with things that will fit into an antiquity game, with those mythological creatures that would exist during the era we will be playing in. such as centaurs and the like. i don't think we should start out magical items at character generation unless you can come up with something really good that can explain how you got it.

Pyro

Blaze

So, I guess everyone should contact the DM for a non-human race or magical items. Just to make it clear, I'm fine with that.

AP, what is going to be the plot? I need that to pick a class.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Diabolus Lupus

ok, so we're playing with the standard 3.5 system? How are we rolling stats?

Lavender

Hmmmm...what to play, what to play...  A priestess of sorts, perhaps?  How would that translate into Greek mythology, though?  :p  It's been...ten years since my last Greek Mytho class.  :p

Literary Longings

The American Patriot

Quote from: Blaze on January 31, 2009, 05:28:25 PM
So, I guess everyone should contact the DM for a non-human race or magical items. Just to make it clear, I'm fine with that.

AP, what is going to be the plot? I need that to pick a class.

this will be an epic journey actually. start out with the PCs already knowing each other from their childhood. they're going to each have their own destiny, but interwoven with each others. we'll at least need someone to play a female of royal blood, a heroic warrior, and a high priestess in training.

Quote from: Devilstrike on January 31, 2009, 05:51:22 PM
ok, so we're playing with the standard 3.5 system? How are we rolling stats?

sicne this is an epic journey... let's go with 12, 12, 14, 14, 16, 16. put them where ever you want... and if you decide on all fourteens you can. just try to keep the lowest stat a 10, and the highest starting out as an 18 (not counting that 1 pt attrubte boost at 4th of course).

Fragile Dreams

Hello all.... Me and my friends created some custom rules about ancient greek mythology in dnd like rules. Who ever is going to be the GM and wants some help about adjusting things from DnD to this feel free to PM me...i assure you it's quite interesting and simple rules. Also if someone needs any help about myths and legends of Greece let me know (Obssesive Greek here :D )

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Scriptophile

Wikipedia is also a good place to go for Mythology information. <3
/ponders character/ Hmm... Temple servant/guardian might be interesting.

Pyro

Pixie Assassin? Tiefling Warlock?

Eh, what other stuff is needed? I can be a fighter-type, but I perfer stealthy stuff or ranged characters.

I tend to play females, if it's any object...

If we're going ancient greek... Pixie Assassin... Well, it'd start with a Rogue...

The American Patriot

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on January 31, 2009, 07:34:58 PM
Hello all.... Me and my friends created some custom rules about ancient greek mythology in dnd like rules. Who ever is going to be the GM and wants some help about adjusting things from DnD to this feel free to PM me...i assure you it's quite interesting and simple rules. Also if someone needs any help about myths and legends of Greece let me know (Obssesive Greek here :D )

That would be great! if you'd like to help as a co-GM i'd appreacate it. it'd allow me to make sure that i don't get the setting messed up.

Sonja

I'll volunteer for the princess role if no one has taken it, probably roll it as a Cleric

Fragile Dreams

Quote from: The American Patriot on February 01, 2009, 12:52:30 AM
That would be great! if you'd like to help as a co-GM i'd appreacate it. it'd allow me to make sure that i don't get the setting messed up.
Cool!!! Just let me know what you need and i can give you any notes and hints.
Quote from: Pyro on February 01, 2009, 12:50:26 AM
Pixie Assassin? Tiefling Warlock?

Eh, what other stuff is needed? I can be a fighter-type, but I perfer stealthy stuff or ranged characters.

I tend to play females, if it's any object...

If we're going ancient greek... Pixie Assassin... Well, it'd start with a Rogue...
Ummmm sorry but there are no pixies in ancient greek mythology....the races that could be used as playable characters are half-nymph, who is similar like the half elves, half god, human and if GM allows, centaur. Those are the most common races someone can find in Greek Mythology.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

schnookums

So...is there possibly more room in this game? It sounds like the kinda thing that'd be right up my alley...

Thufir Hawat

I hope there will be place for you. After all, it's likely to become a big group - which is a good thing in my experience, if everybody follows the posting rate ;).
I will bow out at this point, but I hope you all have a nice time :)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Muse

Oh, dear, am I too late to step up and express intrest?  Well, let me look at what you're lookign for a bit more first, but i love everything i see so far! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Diabolus Lupus

If we still need a 'basher' type I'm willing to roll my character as one, as long as no one minds a strong woman running around.  ;D

The American Patriot

Centuars will be allowed for the game... ditto for satyrs and other mythological creatures right out of greek mythology...

and a female warrior will be very much allowed! Least we forget that it was the greeks who gave us Amazons!

Muse

Female Warrior.   *Raises hand, sort of"  Huntress of Artmeis here. 

Muse

Though if my offbeat feats aren't apreciated i could just do someone more like a holy warrior of athena. 

The American Patriot

Scriptophile

Depending on which we need more of, I would gladly play either a male or female warrior-type, maybe a temple servant to Athena? Thanks to Muse to bringing Athena up. <3

The American Patriot

You'd Probly be a female warrior then... i'm working up a plot as i get some ideas of what everyone is wanting to play...

Scriptophile

RubySlippers

If this is a SYSTEM game, I'm game I love DnD.

Hummm, Half-Goddess tends to have a diety made at them so nope. So I will go for a human, hailing from Lesvos after being at Sapphos Academy, a bard likely wouldn't exist so go for a rogue that focuses on performing and fighting. As a rogue with the dropping of the backstab skills for fighter bonus ranks. She will be Spartan or perhaps Minoan, both had strong roles for women the latter might be more fitting.

The American Patriot

All of that works is great! If you want to play a Bard they are avaiable. :) just remember Xenia had Gabby, and she was a Bard type ;)

Lavender

So since I asked cleric, I'd be the high priestess in training thing you spoke of, Sir?

Literary Longings

Fragile Dreams

Classes:  The classes in this setting are somewhat same with the DnD classes but with many differences. For example, the ranger has the same abilities as the typical, DnD ranger but in Greek mythology is more like a hunter. Anyways i will explain further, saying about each class that has differences from the DnD ones.

Ranger: As stated above, the ranger is a hunter, adept on survival and hunting animals. Unlike the DnD ranger, the hunter, as i’m about to call the class from now on, cannot cast spells on plants or based on nature spells but only spells on animals and animal based spells. The weapon experties are, short sword, spear, bow and daggers.

Druid: The Druid is about the same with the DnD druid, same spells, same attributes  and same abilities. The Druid draws spells directly from Gaia, the Mother Earth and not from the Gods, although he must be humble towards them and respect them, since the Gods are above all beings.

Priest: The most respectfull class and highest state in ancient Greece, the priest can be the cornerstone in a play. Advisor, warrior, spellcaster, healer, based on the God he/she chooses to worship, the priest is the most helpfull class. Priests in ancient mythical Greece are the most common spellcasters, since mages were worshiping Hecate, an evil deity of magic. The spells a priest can cast are based on the God he/she worships and prieches, meaning that every god offers the spells, based on His/Her portfolio.

Mages: Mages are mostly withes. Potion, alchemy, hexes and reading signs on dead animals are the common things that mages can do. To be more specific a mage, is like a medium with curses and reading scrolls. Like stated above, mages worship Hecate, the evil underwold deity of magic, so most of them were evil. But that doesn’t mean a character must be evil to play a mage.

Rogues: Rogues believe to the god Hermes and have the same abilities as the DnD rogue. Rogues dwel mostly in large cities and fairs to find more victims to steal from. But also beware a priest of Hermes because is like having a rogue with spells. :)

Defiler: A custom class that was created by us. A defiler is a person that swears to kill a god by any means. It's like a prestige class in DnD so a character must fullfill some requierments to seek revenge and  being a defiler has its goods and bads. Good is because the enemy god of your enemy god is your friend so he/she will help you to your quest, the bad is that the god that you want to kill will make your life miserable.

Anyways....i hope this will help you to create your characters. They were taken from the old RP i created about Greek Mythology although it was a freeform.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Pyro

Druid then. Half-diety or human.

I'll get working on my character...

The American Patriot

Quote from: Lavender on February 01, 2009, 05:50:49 PM
So since I asked cleric, I'd be the high priestess in training thing you spoke of, Sir?

I believe so. Which God or Goddess do you wish to be the high priestess of?

Diabolus Lupus

How are we handling equipment?

And has someone else decided they want to play the 'basher' role? Or does it really matter?

Pyro

I think someone was wanting to play a 'Basher' yeah.

Can someone give me a rundown of what we have so far? I'm considering a Druid, though if I can help balance us in any way...

Blaze

Quote from: Devilstrike on February 02, 2009, 01:17:28 AM
And has someone else decided they want to play the 'basher' role? Or does it really matter?
Only you that I remember. Anyway, I don't see the GM asking us to fill all roles with precisely one character, so...
And equipment is going to be bought with money, but no magical items unless you persuade the GM it's logical to have them - it was somewhere in the thread.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Diabolus Lupus

Bayushi

Quote from: The American Patriot on January 31, 2009, 06:15:12 PMthis will be an epic journey actually. start out with the PCs already knowing each other from their childhood. they're going to each have their own destiny, but interwoven with each others. we'll at least need someone to play a female of royal blood, a heroic warrior, and a high priestess in training.

I was thinking that maybe I'd be game to play a female of royal blood? If it's not taken.... or mayhaps if it is, then sisters? Twin sisters would be entertaining.

As for a class, well, the one class that I'd love to play from 3.5 that would fit into just about any possible setting would be Psion, likely Psion(Telepath) or Psion(Egoist). But then, that's still up to the DM? Patriot?

The American Patriot

Quote from: Akiko on February 02, 2009, 01:58:49 PM
I was thinking that maybe I'd be game to play a female of royal blood? If it's not taken.... or mayhaps if it is, then sisters? Twin sisters would be entertaining.

As for a class, well, the one class that I'd love to play from 3.5 that would fit into just about any possible setting would be Psion, likely Psion(Telepath) or Psion(Egoist). But then, that's still up to the DM? Patriot?

I woudln't mind that.. the royal blood is yours!

The American Patriot

Diabolus Lupus

the DMG has a table of relative wealth based on level. I can't remember the page though.

Bayushi

Quote from: The American Patriot on February 02, 2009, 02:06:58 PMI woudln't mind that.. the royal blood is yours!

I'm not sure how you'd go about half-gods, but my thought/idea was to go with an Aasimar, or half celestial servant.... which feels possible, given that the gods themselves were pretty damned promiscuous with mortal women?

Not to mention, I'm sure half-gods would most assuredly have an ECL adjustment of far more than +3(which would make a level 1 character). An Aasimar has an ECL adjustment of +1.

Muse

*whimpers* 

So this has been quite an exercise in futility.  First, I made a character unsuited to Greek myth. 

Then, I was unable to get either Devil strike or Blaze to tell me some interpersonal dynamic that i might at least try to fulfill ahead of time.  (perhaps that's only fair since they've never gamed with me before.) 

I guess it's time to do things the old fashioned way and trust in the dice and the power gaming.  Is there a party roll we still need filled?  . 

Blaze

It's on p.135.
Relative wealth level for 4th level 5,400 gp, average.

I'm thinking of playing daughter of a nymph. I believe that in D&D terms, I could just use the half-elf racial package. But if the GM has a more suitable suggestion, I'd be glad to hear it.

Quote from: Muse on February 02, 2009, 02:52:39 PM
*whimpers* 

So this has been quite an exercise in futility.  First, I made a character unsuited to Greek myth. 

Then, I was unable to get either Devil strike or Blaze to tell me some interpersonal dynamic that i might at least try to fulfill ahead of time.  (perhaps that's only fair since they've never gamed with me before.) 

I guess it's time to do things the old fashioned way and trust in the dice and the power gaming.  Is there a party roll we still need filled?  . 
There is probably a reason for that...
I usually coordinate with the whole team. It makes the game more logical, in my opinion. For now we don't know who will be playing what, so let's first see what kind of a group will come out of this, and then we can coordinate interpersonal dynamics.

Yeah, it's generally the best idea.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Muse

There is probably a reason for that...
I usually coordinate with the whole team. It makes the game more logical, in my opinion. For now we don't know who will be playing what, so let's first see what kind of a group will come out of this, and then we can coordinate interpersonal dynamics.

Yeah, it's generally the best idea.

Just felt i should mention that the Pm didn't go to every player because I'm incompetent with pms, not because i was deliberately excluding people.  Sorry. 

bluejay

I'm interested this if you can handle someone new to this style of play.

The American Patriot

sure. we can. tehre is enough people here who'll help you get into the flow!

Pyro

I'm still bloody confused.

What do we have, and what don't we have?

What roles need filling?

Are Warlocks allowed?

What races?

Blaze

In order to have s little bit of structure and coordination, I've made a list of everyone that has shown interest in the game, and the ideas that they have for a personal character.

Sonja - the princess role if no one has taken it, probably roll it as a Cleric
Lavender - I'd be the high priestess in training thing
Scriptophile - female warrior-type, maybe a temple servant to Athena.
Pyro – hasn't decided
Devilstrike - a 'basher' type
schnookums - hasn't decided
Muse - Female Warrior.   *Raises hand, sort of"  Huntress of Artmeis here.
RubySlippers - I will go for a human, hailing from Lesvos after being at Sapphos Academy, a bard likely wouldn't exist so go for a rogue that focuses on performing and fighting. As a rogue with the dropping of the backstab skills for fighter bonus ranks. She will be Spartan or perhaps Minoan, both had strong roles for women the latter might be more fitting.
Akiko - female of royal blood, half-gods, but my thought/idea was to go with an Aasimar, or half celestial servant
bluejay - hasn't decided
Blaze - daughter of a nymph

And here is something that may be useful to everyone.
Aphrodite
Goddess of love, lust, beauty, wife of Hephaestus. Ares is her lover. Eros is her son. Known as the most beautiful of the Greek goddesses. Her symbols are the scepter, myrtle, and dove.
Apollo
God of music, prophecies, poetry, and archery. Also said to be the god of light and truth. Is associated with the sun. Also referred to as the most beautiful of the gods. He is Artemis's twin brother, and son of Zeus. His symbols are the bow, lyre, and laurel.
Ares
God of war, murder and bloodshed. Brother to Athena, and is the son of Zeus. Has an affair with Aphrodite. His symbols are vultures, dogs, boars, and a spear.
Artemis
Goddess of the hunt and wild things, and the moon. Protector of the dewy young. She became associated with the moon. Apollo is her twin brother.Artemis is a virgin goddess. Her symbols are the bow, dogs, and deer.
Athena
Goddess of wisdom, warfare, handicrafts and reason. Sister of Ares, and is the daughter of Zeus. Sprung from Zeus's head in full body armor. She is the wisest of the gods. Her symbols are the aegis, owl, and olive tree.
Demeter
Goddess of fertility, grain and harvest. Demeter is a daughter of Cronus and Rhea and sister of Zeus. Her symbols are the scepter, torch, and corn.
Dionysus
God of wine, parties/festivals, madness and merriment. He represents not only the intoxicating power of wine, but also its social and beneficial influences. His symbols are the grape vine, ivy, and thyrsus.
Hades
God of the underworld. Brother of Poseidon, Zeus and Hera, and consort to Persephone. His symbols are the bident, the Helm of Darkness, and the three-headed dog, Cerberus.
Hephaestus
God of fire and the forge (god of fire and smiths) with very weak legs. He was thrown off Mount Olympus as a baby by his mother and in some stories his father. He makes armor for the gods and other heroes like Achilles. Son of Hera and Zeus is his father in some accounts. Married to Aphrodite, but she does not love him because he is deformed and, as a result, is cheating on him with Ares. He had a daughter named Pandora. His symbols are an axe, a hammer and a flame.
Hera
Goddess of marriage, women, and childbirth. Zeus' wife and sister. Appears with peacock feathers often. Her symbols are the scepter, diadem, and peacock.
Hermes
God of flight, thieves, commerce, and travelers. Messenger of the gods. He showed the way for the dead souls to Hades's realm. He shows up in more myths than any other god or goddess. Likes to trick people and is very inventive. Hermes invented the lyre using a turtle shell and sinew. His symbols are the caduceus and winged boots.
Hestia
Goddess of the hearth and home, the focal point of every household. Daughter of Rhea and Cronus. Gave up her seat as one of the Twelve Olympians to tend to the sacred flame on Mount Olympus for Dionysus. Her symbol is the hearth.
Poseidon
God of the sea. He created horses from sea foam. God of earthquakes as well. Also called 'Earth Shaker' and 'Storm Bringer'. His symbols are horses, sea foam, dolphins, and a trident.
Zeus
The king of the gods, the ruler of Mount Olympus and the god of the sky and thunder. His symbols are the thunderbolt, eagle, bull, and oak.

A list of mythological Greek creatures

Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Drako

Blaze

Quote from: Demon on February 03, 2009, 11:27:57 AM
Can I use a race from sherrilyn kenyon's dark hunter series?
Are they from the Greek mythology, or at least related in a way?
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Diabolus Lupus

I don't think any of the possible races she could play are directly tied to Greek myth, as most people know it. But the series is tied quite heavily to the Greek gods. Mostly Artemis and Apollo.

The other problem is most anything should could play would be way too powerful for our starting level, at least in standard 3.5

Blaze

Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Muse

Quote from: The American Patriot on February 02, 2009, 04:32:20 PM
sure. we can. tehre is enough people here who'll help you get into the flow!

I've just found out that no one was assinged to help Bluejay, looked back over, and decided to take that as a request from the gm fro someone to step up and say, "I'll help you!" 

So if I have just accepted a mandate that was not offered, please let me know soon. 

The American Patriot

If you're able to help her Muse, please do... I'll reward all assistance with a great deal of in game things... and I DO take GM bribes ladies... ;)

Sorry I didn't get someone to help you sooner Miss Bluejay... i'll make it up to you. just let us know what you want to play and i'll help you!

bluejay

Quote from: The American Patriot on February 04, 2009, 07:08:22 PM
If you're able to help her Muse, please do... I'll reward all assistance with a great deal of in game things... and I DO take GM bribes ladies... ;)

Sorry I didn't get someone to help you sooner Miss Bluejay... i'll make it up to you. just let us know what you want to play and i'll help you!

aww! No problem. Thank you! Muse is helping me. *notes..GM takes bribes*  :)

Blaze

Here is my PC:

Damara

Damara’s mother was a forest nymph and left her when she was born. She was found by a rich sails man and his wife who took her as their own daughter. The baby was always surrounded by love and had everything she needed. Soon it was clear she was no ordinary girl. She was the most beautiful and charismatic child in the town and her voice was like touched from the goods. Her parents were very proud and send her to study in the best of schools. Damara very quickly learned how to play the lyre and for her next birthday her father gave her a lure made from the best craftsman. When she played it was like magic! Everyone seamed enchanted by her voice. But that wasn't the only thing she was good at. Her strong character and natural talent to persuade people became obvious right away. She was able to convince people whatever she liked and in Athens her teachers transformed her into a brilliant negotiator. She obviously inherited not only her beauty from her mother but some magic as well. She was able to create lights and open small objects marly with a thought. When she was old enough her father decided that she should go to the oracle in Delphi so she could learn what is her faith.

Damara has long wavy hair with the colure of old gold and deep blue eyes. Her skin is slightly dark complexion and her lips are blood red.

HALF-ELF
Alignment:
Chaotic good

Abilities
Strength 12 /+1
Constitution 14 /+2
Dexterity 16 /+3
Intelligence 14 /+2
Wisdom 12 / +1
Charisma 17 /+3

HP 25
AC: 10+3dex
BAB 2 (+3 most of the time)
REF save3+3
FORT save1+2
Will save 2+3+1

GP 5,400, 4130 ( 130 with me, and the rest are lended to the temple of Afrodity )
3 masterwork daggers
Flint and steel
Small polished bronze mirror
Pouch belt
Waterskin
Disguise kit
Healer’s kit
Masterwork Lyre
Spell component pouch
Masterwork manacles
Light horse, riding saddle, saddlebag

Feats:
Alertness
Weapons finesse
Bardik cnak

Skill Untrained Ability
Diplomacy Yes Cha  6+3+2 +2 +2
Bluff Yes Cha  7+3
Concentration Yes Con 7+2
Gather Information Yes Cha 6+ 3 +2+ 2
Knowledge (arcana) No Int 7+2
Perform (lyre) Yes Cha 6 + 3
Spellcraft No Int 7+2
Sense Motive Yes Wis 6
Listen Yes Wis 2+1+1+2
Search Yes Int 2+2+1
Spot Yes Wis 2+1+1+ 2
Intimidate Yes Cha 3+2+2
Disguise Yes Cha 2+3+2

Bard3
Spells known
1. Daze: Humanoid creature of 4 HD or less loses next
action.
2. Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
3. Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
4. Ghost Sound: Figment sounds.
5. Summon Instrument: Summons one instrument of the caster’s
choice.
6. Message: Whispered conversation at distance.

1. Magic Mouth M: Speaks once when triggered.
2. Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
3. Detect Secret Doors: Reveals hidden doors within 60 ft.

Sorcerer1
Spells known
1. Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small
object.
2. Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
3. Open/Close: Opens or closes small or light things.
4  Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within
60 ft.

1. Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
2. True Strike: +20 on your next attack roll.

Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS

Muse

okay, i would like to try the concept of the a classic greek hero in the style of Theseus, mighty enough to make legends of but cunning, intelligent, wise, treacherous, arrogant, and skirting the line between suicidally foolish and courageous enough to challenge the gods and win. 

I think he might have 2 levels of Rogue and 2 levels of Fighter. 

patriot, is there a roll in the backstory he might play? 

DReam, can you give me some mytical/historical/game adaptation advise? 

Ladies, beware if you value your virtue.  ;) 

Blaze

Quote from: Muse on February 05, 2009, 02:10:19 PM
okay, i would like to try the concept of the a classic greek hero in the style of Theseus, mighty enough to make legends of but cunning, intelligent, wise, treacherous, arrogant, and skirting the line between suicidally foolish and courageous enough to challenge the gods and win. 

I think he might have 2 levels of Rogue and 2 levels of Fighter. 
(snipped)
Sounds like 2 levels of Barbarian might be more useful instead of the Fighter. I mean, you get more hit points, evasion, and rage - which is just fine for your suicidally foolish tendencies. And since you have levels in rogues, you wouldn't be illiterate anyway.
Remember when it rained.
And called your name.

ONS/OFFS