You really think that what you say means nothing?

Started by Elvi, March 27, 2007, 07:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Celestial Goblin

Wow. Welcome to the new century, do not dare to consider yourself prepared.

I feel really sorry for this guy, first and foremost.

But as technology progresses, there will always be tragedies happening using that new technology. I'm willing to bet that when someone comes into a chatroom and says he'll suicide, people will be less likely to laugh at it.
And I'm willing to bet there will be idiots that will try pose as suicides to make fun of it.

Jefepato

I honestly don't believe for a second that what people were saying in the chatroom had any effect on him.  He obviously planned it beforehand, and I really doubt he was reading the chat while he was setting everything up (or if he was, that he cared what they said -- he knew what kind of chat room it was).

His friends knew he was depressed.  He needed help and he didn't get it.  The Internet is not to blame.

Elvi

No-one has said the internet was to blame and I doubt very much that the internet made him do it, THIS is what made me feel sick to the stomach.
The fact is that people were quite happy to goad him into it, edge him on, actually enjoy the spectacle AND then post up clips from the link.

"Some of us chatroom users, talking to Kevin over text chat, microphones and video tried to convince him to step down, but others egged him on telling him to get on with it.

"We just couldn't believe he was doing it - it was surreal.

"One chatter said: 'F***ing do it, get on with it, get it round your neck. For F***'s sake he can't even do this properly'."

"I use palktalk on a regular basis and I did not know this man but it is sad for anyone to feel the need to do this. The thing that disgusts me the most is the fact that some person in that room felt the need to taking pictures of the poor guy hanging there and distributing round the palktalk rooms and no doubt the internet. Even I had this sent to me and had no knowledge it had even happened. My thoughts the room should be closed and the people who had @ on need banning, the cams could have been turned off and there was no need for all to watch.

- Lesley, saint paul usa"

Jefepato

Okay, but my response to the topic title can only be "yes, exactly."

Elvi

Q: You really think that what you say means nothing?

A: "yes, exactly." ?

Well you are right in this case, because I have no idea what that answer means....

Jefepato

That's paradoxical, Elvi.  You had to understand the meaning in order to know that it was right.

But to clarify: yes, what I say means nothing, especially in this context.  No matter how reprehensible you think the people in that chat room were, what they said didn't actually mean a thing.  In fact I'm not sure what relevance they're supposed to have here -- ultimately, all they really did was call the police when they realized he was dying.

Elvi

Did you actually read the artical, "One chatter said: 'F***ing do it, get on with it, get it round your neck. For F***'s sake he can't even do this properly'." , a direct quote from it.

If that is helping then heaven help me if I ever need it.

Jefepato

Yes, I read the article.  He was already killing himself before anybody said that, so although any reasonable person would find it appalling, it meant nothing.

GothicFires

Having experienced something similar to this in person. The fact that some of the people in the chat room where egging this man on (and being people I would not want to know) The truth is what they said didn't mean anything. If 100 % of them would have asked the man not to do it, he still would have killed himself anyway. He wasn't there for them to talk him out of it, he was there for his last moment of immortality.

I once worked as a security guard at the entrance of a paper mill and a board mill. My father worked at the paper mil and my uncle at the board mill. Though the only revelance is that the people at the board mill knew my uncle and that we were related as it was their entrance. There were three other guards who worked there but the only two in the story... Mike and Sam.

Mike was once in the army. A fit guy until he fell in front of a tank during training and the tank rolled over his leg. Years later he's topping 300 pounds and wears a fake leg and has to use a cane. Mike always gave me the creeps. He was always depressed and his poetry disturbing. Though I always sat and talked with him a few minutes during the changing of our shift and read the poetry he shared with me.

I was working 2nd shift when Mike came over. He wasn't stationed with us anymore so i was surprised. He said he was returning some of Sam's movies because he was going to kill himself and he wanted Sam to have them back. He told me of how he had gotten a lot of sleeping pills and other various drugs. He was going to go to work and take them... make his first call in and by the second call in he would be dead.

I felt like my heart had sunk to my feet. He was this man whom I didn't particularly like and he chose me to tell he was going to kill himself. I know in part is was because I didn't know where he was scheduled to work. I gave every life is worth living speech I could think of. I tried to call for help but every time I went to open the drawer with the phone numbers or touch the phone he would start to freak out. I did fear a little for my own safety.

No matter what I said, It didn't change his mind. He had now tied me to his death... As soon as he left the first person I called was my aunt. She is a medical professional and up on all the laws in the state that we were in. It appeared that even if i knew where the guy was going I couldn't call police because unless he was in the act of hurting himself they couldn't do anything other than talk to him, threatening to kill yourself isn't enough. I couldn't have him committed with out a written order from a judge... and I had no clue how to get that on a Saturday evening.

I called Sam because I knew Sam had worked at the same place that Mike was now working... and he didn't answer his phone. It is a most horrible feeling to know that someone is going to take there life and you are stuck. My company was closed... I couldn't call them for the location. Mike had to call the company that he was guarding the building for... not the one he worked for so I didn't have their numbers either. It was just getting dark and I had hours left on my shift at least 4 as Sam didn't start his shift until 12.

Then Sam showed up... 4 hours early. He did that from time to time. We'd talk or watch a movie. Some times I'd stay a few hours after my shift was over. But he didn't like me driving home sleepy. I told Sam what was going on and that Mike wouldn't listen to me. So Sam called Mike. They were okay friends. Mike wouldn't talk to Sam and hung up on him twice.

So I told Sam to call back once more and I talked to Mike again. I was the person that Mike chose to share his death. Mike confessed to me that he had taken the pills and that it was over. I hung up the phone. You know I had never been more thankful in my life. This man had just poisoned his body and I was almost jumping up and down with joy. Now I could call the police and Sam had the address.

The rest of the story is almost laughable. I called 911 and told them that the security guard at this address  was trying to commit suicide and had over dosed on pills. I also told them that I was a security guard at the mill. Sam went down to the mill to call Mike's parents (phone numbers that he also had). The next thing I know a man runs into my building and asks if I’m ok... lots of noise in the mill so when Sam had told them that a security guard was attempting suicide and they thought it was me. Then the vice-president of personal drives up in his huge pick up... he was a voluntary fire fighter and had heard security guard, suicide and the name of his mill over the scanner.

Then I got a call from 911… they told me that the only person at the location said that everything was fine and that there was no one injured.

I about died myself. How I kept from calling the dispatcher stupid I have no clue. I can see the confusion in identifying myself as a security guard and the person committing suicide was a security guard… but for the love of any god…. He was the only person there! So the ambulance stayed and had to wait for the cops to come back out. They almost had to arrest Mike because he wouldn’t get into the ambulance. He got a nice trip to the hospital… his stomach pumped.

He called me months later and thanked me for saving his life… I’m glad I was able to but nothing I said before he took those pills meant a thing. He had chosen me to experience his death with him and though I hold him no ill will for it, it is something I hope I never have to experience again.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Celestial Goblin

I would believe that many of the chatroom users were thinking this is some kind of carefully planned and macabre joke.
Though seeing a grown-up doing it and looking seriously should be a clue that it's not.

Mistiq

That's sad, but to somepeople things people say even people we don't know means something to us...and sometimes complete stangers are wonderful shrinks. Although I don't think a person should allow complete strangers to influence them that much..unless it is for the positive.