[Extreme](Pathfinder){High Level}World Destruction {LAUNCHED}

Started by Wintercat, May 30, 2011, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

Hello I thought I should express my interest too although I would not wish to steal a place, but this does seam like a wonderful idea and I could not resist but put my base concept down after hearing some interest from Callie.

I was talking with Callie about the possibilities of my character knowing his if my character is acceptable and wanted of course.  Callie seams to like the idea so I shall develop it further and hopefully post something more about it soon.

My idea is basically for a Monk character who has spent most of her life living is demiplanes, she was born in one and raised there by an Order that had taken a step back from its world, made up of monks, wizards etc there they pursued perfection in many aspects and watched over there world. Sending out the young and adventurous into the world and planes to test there mettle and learn as they once had, sending them into other demiplanes to test and perfect there wisdom and understanding.  I was thinking that basically these demiplanes had mostly then been "eaten/absorbed" whatever by Entropy and she had become trapped in one of the few remaining one was may so small and insignificant it escaped the notice, this is where she was met by Callie's character Requiem and rescued and well since then she has joined with her with the same goals and feeling that she owes a debt and that she must be protected for her skills and ability to reform and recreate.

Callie Del Noire

I just had this image of my character stepping into a sealed demiplane to find that 'immortal perfect moment' where the Cherry blossoms are always in bloom and the sun is hitting the Zen garden and lake JUST right. :D

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2011, 06:52:56 PM
I just had this image of my character stepping into a sealed demiplane to find that 'immortal perfect moment' where the Cherry blossoms are always in bloom and the sun is hitting the Zen garden and lake JUST right. :D
Thief of Time?
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Callie Del Noire

LtFox

Hey there, Winter!

We spoke of this game earlier, and thus I'm now submitting my character.

Asroc Everslayer, hunter of Entropy

Asroc used to be a fairly normal man, a member of patrol rangers formed some decades after the Advent of the New Sun.  He himself had been born a couple of decades after the apocalyptic battle had been concluded, and grew up in the middle of a ruined world trying to rebuild.  He helped out in his town during his youth, eventually joining the rangers after coming of age.  After all, the world was still a dangerous place, and rangers were needed to patrol the perimeters of what was left of civilization, and guard it against the various monsters spawned by the dead world.  Still, the new sun blazed bright, and kept away the forces of Entropy, so the land was fairly safe for the time being.

After a few years of service, he and his squad were investigating some strange reports of odd energies and anomalies that had sprung up of late.  They made the trek into the borderland, far away from civilization to get to the bottom of if.  There, they found answers, and they were more horrible than they had been able to imagine.  Unstable energies of Entropy tore apart most of his squad as they neared the epicenter of the disturbance, and those that survived were still lashed and scarred by the aberrant energies.  Only when they penetrated the very heart of the Entropic maelstrom, did they behold the reason.  As Asroc and his few survivors stood transfixed by the sight of an unearthly beautiful woman of indescribable features residing there,
they didn't even notice when Entropic beast fell upon them in a fury of darkness, claws and tentacles.  The last of his companions falling around him as they struggled to fight through the beast and Entropic energies to reach the center, Asroc was forever changed by the immense amounts of Entropy which surged through him as he finally broke through the enemies and the barrier of energy surrounding the woman.

His nightmare, however, only began there in earnest.  Having broken into the eye of the Entropic maelstrom, laying there and trying to draw breath and stay alive as the immense energies surged through his body, changing it from the inside out and tearing into his mind as well, he was in no condition to do anything as the woman stalked to him, and smiled.  And his world went dark.

It was only later, during the endless weeks, months, years, of torture and depredation that he learned the identity of the woman who now held him prisoner.  One of the Daughters of Entropy, descendants of the Lords themselves.  The days and weeks blurred together, as the Daughter devised new ways to torment him, with pain, pleasure, humiliation and combat in turns as well as tearing into his mind on occasion.  It only occurred to him during one relatively calm moment of peace and sanity, that apparently his body no longer did much of aging, or needing food or water.  His mind, too, had been expanded into utterly inhuman clarity and focus due to all the mental strain and everpresent Entropic energies.  He began experimenting, and eventually learned to harness his mental energies into useful and destructive purposes.  Slowly, a plan formed in his mind.

After the next indefinable length of agony and depredation she inflicted on him, she left him in peace for a while as usual.  This time, though, Asroc pulled forth all his rage and pain from his mind and blew the dwelling to pieces, slaying most of the beasts guarding the place outright.  He made good on his escape then, destroying the few beasts left with flicks of mental energy as he fled.

Later, he found out that he had been held captive for well over half a century, and had apparently not aged a year during that time.  It took him some time to reconcile his new life with what he had left behind, so he dedicated most of his time learning all he could about the minions of Entropy, and their rulers.  Honing his mind and his body, learning everything about combat he could, so that one day in the future he could consign the Lords of Entropy, and all their successors and followers to Oblivion.

Personality:

As Asroc is an Psionic Elan who was born from most unusual circumstances, he mostly finds himself alone in the world, which lacks the capacity to understand him.  For the most part, that suits him just fine as well.  He wanders the wastelands mostly in silence and solitary peace, seeking out servants and minions of Entropy where he can and honing his arrows of vengeance.  He's a hard and somewhat jaded individual from his earlier experiences, but will occasionally lend a hand to travelers beset with Entropic beasts.  He'll suddenly appear from seemingly nowhere, kill every monster in sight with arrows steeped in bloodlust and killing intent, and vanish just as mysteriously.  During the last century, he's spent less than a dozen days among civilization, preferring to roam the wastelands looking for more things to kill.  He's even ventured out to some of the nearest other Planes of existence, looking for alternate ways to assault Entropy. 

As someone who's waged a solitary war against Enropy and its creations for the better part of a century, Asroc is one of the few people who can actually say from their own observations that the new Sun is indeed growing dimmer.  No one can say if it means the sun will simply cease to exist one day, or if it will break open, releasing the warring titans from inside it to wreak havoc in the world once more.  He doesn't really know, nor care.  His hatred is reserved almost wholeheartedly for the Lords and minions of Entropy, whom he will hunt until his dying day.  Which may or may not be in the distant future.

There's the background and personality information, the sheet is still pending a few possible final tweaks, but the last version I sent you was pretty much done.

Oh, and knowing what I know of both your campaign worlds, as well as Chrono Trigger and your other inspirations, all I can say is this:

This is going to Rock!

Cheers,
_LF_
O/O

In Sword, Truth.

Mysterica

I too must say that this game intrigues me.  I would be very interested in such an idea, and I think I'll go through with something I've been wanting to be able to try, but haven't ever really had the chance to do so yet and go with a lvl 15 elven sorcerer, probably with the celestial bloodlines, or if that is taboo due to the lack of deities, I will substitute the dragon bloodline.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Mysterica on May 31, 2011, 07:59:55 PM
I too must say that this game intrigues me.  I would be very interested in such an idea, and I think I'll go through with something I've been wanting to be able to try, but haven't ever really had the chance to do so yet and go with a lvl 15 elven sorcerer, probably with the celestial bloodlines, or if that is taboo due to the lack of deities, I will substitute the dragon bloodline.

I'd say go with the goodie goodie celestial bloodline. :D

Mysterica

That's the idea, though I think I'm probably thinking now actually of going half elf rather than full blooded.

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 31, 2011, 07:05:15 PM
Of course.. If you steal a scene..steal it from a master. :D
Yay, fellow Terry Pratchett fan!  I love the Discworld series, and Good Omen's was simply amazing.  And it's not much of surprise, given my profile name, that Thud! is my favorite novel.

Also, character sheet for Brand:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Brand
Male Human Sorcerer 1/Fighter 4/Dragon Disciple 10
NG Medium Humanoid
Init +6; Senses: Bindsense 60ft; Perception +20
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15
HP 211 (1d6 + 4d10 + 10d12)
Fort +14, Ref +6, Will +10
Acid Resistance 10
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Base Speed 30 ft, Fly 60 ft
Melee Unarmed Strike +18/+13/+8 (1d3/20/x2)
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 8, 18 melee touch, 13 ranged touch):
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 25, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 14
Base Attack +11; CMB +18; CMD 30
Feats: Arcane Armor Mastery, Arcane Armor Training, Armor Proficiency (Heavy, Medium, Light), Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Eschew Materials, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical: Greatsword, Improved Initiative, Martial Weapon Profiency - All, Mobility, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency - All, Skill Focus - Perform: Sing, Spring Attack, Tower Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus: Greatsword, Weapon Specialization: Greatsword, Whirlwind Attack, Wingover
Traits: Courageous, World Traveler (Sense Motive)
Skills: Diplomacy +20, Fly +16, Intimidate +20, Knowledge: Arcana +11, Perception +20, Perform: Sing +23, Sense Motive +21
Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven

--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Acid Claws & Acid Bite (5 rounds/day) (Su) - 2 Magic Claw attacks deal 1d6 damage + 1d6 Acid, Bite attack deals 1d6 damage + 1d6 Acid and adds 1-1/2 Strength modifier
Arcane Armor Mastery - Swift action: -20% arcane spell failure due to armor
Armor Training 1 (Ex) - Worn armor -1 check penalty; +1 max Dex
Bind-Fight - Re-roll melee misses because of concealment, other benefits
Blindsense (60 feet) (Ex) - Sense things and creatures without seeing them
Bravery +1 (Ex) - +1 Will save vs Fear
Breath Weapon (2/day) (DC 17) (Su) - Breath weapon deals 11d6 Acid damage in 60 ft line
Combat Expertise +/-3 - Bonus to AC in exchange for an equal penalty to attack
Courageous - +2 save vs. fear
Draconic: Black Dragon (Acid) - +1 damage per die for [Acid] spells
Dragon Form (II) (2/day) (Sp) - Use Form of the Dragon II as a spell-like ability
Dragon Resistances (Ex) - Gain Acid resistance 10 and natural armor +5
Eschew Materials - Cast without materials, if material cost is <= 1 gp
Mobility - +4 to AC against some attacks of opportunity
Spring Attack - Can move-attack-move when attacking with a melee weapon
Whirlwind Attack - Instead of making a full attack, attack all nearby opponents
Wingover - Can turn in place while flying
Wings (Su) - Fly 60 ft, average

--------------------
SPELLS
--------------------
0 - Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
1 (7/day) - Comprehend Languages, Enlarge Person, Feather Fall, Mage Armor, Shield, Unseen Servant
2 (7/day) - Knock, Resist Energy, Rope Trick, See Invisibility
3 (5/day) - Fly, Haste, Water Breathing
4 (3/day) - Fear, Invisibility, Greater

Think that is it.  Still need to gear him up, but that's fairly easy.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Lady Lunarius

I'm working on my Elven Oracle for you, will post it up for review here tonight if all goes well. ;)
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Crovonovin

It seems that I just can't get enough of Pathfinder these days!

If you're still looking for ideas and are open to including some features from Ultimate Magic (also on the Pathfinder SRD), I'd love to play a mutagen-using brawler of an alchemist.  Of particular interest to me are the flavorful mutations that UM has introduced, like extra limbs, wings, tumor familiars and the like.  In a world torn apart by war and purged with hellfire, having a bit of a twisted-looking character just seems fitting somehow.

As for personality, I was thinking of drawing inspiration from the Alienist class from 3.5e.  I've always loved the idea of a mortal growing arrogant enough to consort with Lovecraftian obscenities, and finding himself horrendously altered or maddened for his hubris.  Now, it seems like the only equivalent of the aberrations of the Far Plane are the Lords of Entropy.  For rather obvious reasons, I'd like to avoid connections with those whose greatest desire is the obliteration of all life! 

As this is your setting, I wonder if there's some other alternative that would make this idea work, assuming you'd allow it to begin with.

Seaweed

Wintercat

I've had a lot of interest, a lot more than I expected. At this point I don't think I will be accepting any more applications, I will go through the concepts of everyone that has posted, and I'm looking forward to the game. The scale of the game is aimed for high levels, but with slow advancement. There will be a lot of challenges to face, but I plan on using the slow experience scale, rewarding experience for good roleplay and decisions and changes made in the world, for better or worse.

The original plan was for 3-5 players, and I reserved one slot, so at most I was looking for 6 players. Out of those, I wanted to have LtFox as a reserved seat player, given his previous experience with the setting before its destruction.

So now I have to see through the ideas posted and consider what would be best along in this tale. Its built on Epic journey and as said, the survivors left standing in the end will play a hand in recreating the world itself whether by saving it, or destroying it and giving it a chance of rebirth. As long as you wont let the Lords of Enthropy come claim all that is and sink it to oblivion, I think it'll be an interesting finish.

I am looking through ideas I have received, and wondering what to do with some of them.

Another idea was to split this game into 2, 2 different parties setting out on the same quest, unaware of one another. That would raise the cap to 8 player characters total, 4 people on each team. I would personally rather form 1 team of 6 though. I'm going to listen to the players thoughts on this one.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Blue Leah

One group of six is probably the safer option, from a GMing perspective. I'm trying to do the two groups of four thing for one of my games, and it's really rough to organize.

yuna0417

If opens a slot for me, one team of 6 sounds fun.  I would go against 2 teams though, it'd make for GM burnout, and noone wants that.

Seaweed

So, that means because I don't have an idea I'll have to wait for a slot to open up?

Lady Lunarius

Quote from: Wintercat on June 01, 2011, 07:12:05 AM
I've had a lot of interest, a lot more than I expected. At this point I don't think I will be accepting any more applications, I will go through the concepts of everyone that has posted, and I'm looking forward to the game. The scale of the game is aimed for high levels, but with slow advancement. There will be a lot of challenges to face, but I plan on using the slow experience scale, rewarding experience for good roleplay and decisions and changes made in the world, for better or worse.

The original plan was for 3-5 players, and I reserved one slot, so at most I was looking for 6 players. Out of those, I wanted to have LtFox as a reserved seat player, given his previous experience with the setting before its destruction.

So now I have to see through the ideas posted and consider what would be best along in this tale. Its built on Epic journey and as said, the survivors left standing in the end will play a hand in recreating the world itself whether by saving it, or destroying it and giving it a chance of rebirth. As long as you wont let the Lords of Enthropy come claim all that is and sink it to oblivion, I think it'll be an interesting finish.

I am looking through ideas I have received, and wondering what to do with some of them.

Another idea was to split this game into 2, 2 different parties setting out on the same quest, unaware of one another. That would raise the cap to 8 player characters total, 4 people on each team. I would personally rather form 1 team of 6 though. I'm going to listen to the players thoughts on this one.

Did you wish me to post mine here, or is it fine as is since we discussed why I pm'd it.
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Wintercat

Lady Lunarius, I've seen it, and think it is fine, you don't have to share with other players yet, if you do not wish to. I am going to take a little bit to think things through and prepare.

Shihong, the 'Cthulhuan Horrors' would pretty much be the Enthropian Lords in this setting, in a way, but there is also the equilevant of the 'Far Realms' in this world. The beings there just aren't too keen to set their feet on the Prime Material, for most part. Its as alien to them as they are to it.

So if you take Alienist as a thought and inspiration source, you can model a personality according to something like that.

The planes are still intact, but they share one reality. If Prime Material is Lost, then the anchor and heart that holds everything together is lost to Oblivion too already. Prime Material has the highest chance of containing it, a plane already heavily aligned like Hell or Abyss doesn't hold a chance against the onslaught of the Enthropy. Doesn't mean the planar beings still like the Prime Material's folks any better.

There are still Celestials around, its the Gods that are dead, most other things till remain. Though the 'World of Gods', 'Pantheon' lies in ruins. The tools of the Divine are broken, their wills shredded and their bodies gone.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Lady Lunarius

Quote from: Wintercat on June 01, 2011, 12:11:36 PM
Lady Lunarius, I've seen it, and think it is fine, you don't have to share with other players yet, if you do not wish to. I am going to take a little bit to think things through and prepare.

Shihong, the 'Cthulhuan Horrors' would pretty much be the Enthropian Lords in this setting, in a way, but there is also the equilevant of the 'Far Realms' in this world. The beings there just aren't too keen to set their feet on the Prime Material, for most part. Its as alien to them as they are to it.

So if you take Alienist as a thought and inspiration source, you can model a personality according to something like that.

The planes are still intact, but they share one reality. If Prime Material is Lost, then the anchor and heart that holds everything together is lost to Oblivion too already. Prime Material has the highest chance of containing it, a plane already heavily aligned like Hell or Abyss doesn't hold a chance against the onslaught of the Enthropy. Doesn't mean the planar beings still like the Prime Material's folks any better.

There are still Celestials around, its the Gods that are dead, most other things till remain. Though the 'World of Gods', 'Pantheon' lies in ruins. The tools of the Divine are broken, their wills shredded and their bodies gone.

Like I said the whole allure of her is the mystery ;) even from the PC's  glad it's all right though ~Dances~
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Crovonovin

Fantastic!  Y'know Wintercat, I've always kind of wondered that myself when considering the Far Realms.  We look at their dimension and see things so mind-bogglingly alien that it shatters the mind, like a two-dimensional being looking into a three-dimensional landscape.  But as three-dimensional beings ourselves, the idea of being transported into two-dimensions is equally bewildering and restrictive.

Consider my character the sort that seeks a way to transcend the limitations of three dimensions by taking on aspects of these alien beings. 

It will require a bit of thought on my part, but in the meantime I'll knock together a character sheet.

Wheresmycow

Quote from: Wintercat on June 01, 2011, 07:12:05 AMSo now I have to see through the ideas posted and consider what would be best along in this tale. Its built on Epic journey and as said, the survivors left standing in the end will play a hand in recreating the world itself whether by saving it, or destroying it and giving it a chance of rebirth. As long as you wont let the Lords of Enthropy come claim all that is and sink it to oblivion, I think it'll be an interesting finish.
One team of six sounds like the better idea.

And I like the idea that maybe one of the only ways to save the world is to destroy it all and wipe the slate clean for a new start.  Like the season 3 ending for Reboot.  Be really neat to have the characters destroy the light that encompasses Cho'den and the Paladin-Sorcerer, and using the released energies to become gods.  From there maybe finding some way to kill Cho'den and then harness his powers to rebirth the world.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Wintercat

Quote from: Wheresmycow on June 01, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
One team of six sounds like the better idea.

And I like the idea that maybe one of the only ways to save the world is to destroy it all and wipe the slate clean for a new start.  Like the season 3 ending for Reboot.  Be really neat to have the characters destroy the light that encompasses Cho'den and the Paladin-Sorcerer, and using the released energies to become gods.  From there maybe finding some way to kill Cho'den and then harness his powers to rebirth the world.

Thirty-two Gods tried to kill Cho'den.

Now there are no more Gods.

EDIT: Of course, if you really want to take a go at it, you are welcome to try. I just want to point out that a 'common sense' would point out that the outcome would be in serious doubt. The only 'Equal' he has is the Paladin-Sorcerer he is fighting against, and the place they -began- their battle at is a huge crater at the middle of the known world.

Still, indeed one of the options might be to find a way to break down the containment, but depending on who is winning, and who is losing, the results might be even worse. Who knows, perhaps neither is alive any longer, or perhaps both are, it seems rather impossible to say for certain, the light seems to have dimmed and things are getting more bleak as time passes.

Its a world that might need that 'rebirth' if saving and 'restoring' it is no longer possible.

The main problem still remains as the Lords of Enthropy, what keeps them from devouring it all.
A&A

Blue Leah

Well, Cho'Den definitely has a pretty sick tagline there...

Muse

Salutations neighbors.  I've been talking with Wintercat about my paladin concept in private messages for a bit now.  I hope I can get her to come together in time for proper consideration. 

I'm working on the idea of a young woman who grew up hearing stories of a time when the sun was warm and bright, and gained such hope from these songs and tales that they inspired her to heroisim 'til she found a paladin's power in them as if they were a god. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Hanali Dawnfire

When I was a little girl, grandmother would sing too me,

Let me remember the earthlight,
Let me remember the warm,
Show me again in my dreamsight,
The fire at the heart of the dawn. 

I dreamed of the old sun long before I knew what it was.  A great fire that rose beyond the edge of the world, warming and lighting all but scorching nothing.  I swore to serve that light a thousand times, that I would work to make it come back to us. 
   Father wanted me to work a different fire.  He taught me to bring fire from the black stones that would turn iron bars into steel, steel into plowshares. 
   I played at swords with the boys.  When they went to the militia captain to learn the spear, I went with them.  My strength came from a blacksmith’s hammer, not a kitchen knife, and none of the boys could match me, so the militia teacher taught me in spite of what my father said. 
When the orcs came in force, our spears and bows weren’t enough.  I did what my father wouldn’t. 
   It wasn’t so hard, beating plowshares into swords.  I quenched them in my tears, though, because I knew that—though we’d been cold and hungry in our village—we’d known peace ‘til now. 
   We would never have it again. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)