News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

How many RPs are you part of?

Started by Ganeda, March 27, 2021, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ganeda

I am unapproved new member and I am just trying to get a feel for how many different things a person can realistically support before I commit to anything.
So I have some general questions that if people can answer, I might be able to turn them into some vague guidelines for myself.

• How many role plays are you currently a part of?
  • How many role plays are you actively participating in?
  • How often do you post to a role play in forum format (not including sessions style)?
  • How often do you do session style where participants are online at same time?
  • How long are the sessions normally?

Envious

It's different for everyone. Different lifestyles and writing styles, current moods and interest in what's available, general game enjoyment once the group starts writing together - so many different variables!

I don't do live games. I take too long to write and typically only post once  a week for each game/scene I'm in. I'm active in 1-3 games at a time. I have partners in 15+ games who post daily. I couldn't sustain that, but that's okay.

The only real guideline you need for yourself is "have fun." If you overextended yourself in commiting to multiple games, or life suddenly takes up all your free time, or you lose interest in a game or you need a hiatus (or or or), just excuse yourself. No big deal! That's a lovely thing about this site. We're all adults who understand real life sometimes gets in the way of hobbies.

PennySludt

Congratulations on your approval! I'm a little late to the party, but I figured I'd answer anyway.

• How many role plays are you currently a part of?
Right now, I have 8 that are fully active, and 2 that may or may not have died out (I'm very patient so I'm fine if someone comes back 3 years later with a post).

• How many role plays are you actively participating in?
The 10 I listed above are all ones I'd consider myself to be actively participating in, since they're the most recent ones. The most stories I've ever had active at one time was about 35 when I was on every day with a clear mind!

• How often do you post to a role play in forum format (not including sessions style)?
Depending on how busy I am and how my head is focusing, I've posted anywhere from several times a day to once a week or two. Many times it's been longer depending on my real life situation.

• How often do you do session style where participants are online at same time?
I only have one story like that off-site on a text service, but it's more difficult for me than the forum, since there has to be a dedicated time for it.

• How long are the sessions normally?
Those depend on the day and how much time we have. There have been days we'll go back and forth all day in between other things, and other times it's an hour or two if we're not doing anything else in between.

Everyone is very different, though. There are people that always post x number of times a day, once a week, or are completely sporadic. Everyone is going to have a different answer to these, and those are things you'll work out with your partner, and they're very important! Even if you find someone you mesh really well with, if your posting speed/style is different or you have different expectations, it's not going to work. You're smart for asking about that so early on!
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

Sagitta

Hello there, and welcome to E! I agree with what Envious had said about everyone approaching role playing differently, and would like to reiterate that what matters most is having fun. For me, role playing is a hobby and should be treated as such.

1. How many role plays are you currently a part of?
As far as active role plays go, I'm managing five right now. By active, I mean that I have heard from my partners, whether in the form of a post reply or a PM, in the past week. There's a sixth that will probably not continue, but I'm not too bothered about that.

2. How many role plays are you actively participating in?
Just the five that I've mentioned above.

3. How often do you post to a role play in forum format (not including sessions style)?
I role play solely in forum format, and I do my best to put in one post a day if I'm not too busy with work and other RL events. I make sure that all my partners are aware that my posting frequency is only once a week. Any more is simply a bonus.

4. How often do you do session style where participants are online at same time?
While I have regular chats with my partners through PM, I have to say that session style, back and forth writing is not something that I take part in. This is largely because I am a slow writer and have other things going on for me.

5. How long are the sessions normally?
Not applicable. I don't partake. :)

I hope you find the responses useful, and I wish you the best of luck in finding partners that you'll enjoy writing with.
Request Thread: Plots, Pairings, Preferences - Selectively looking for Genshin Impact/Honkai Star Rail tales.
This aptly named thread: Ons & Offs

Shjade

As others noted already, a lot of this will depend on what you can personally handle in terms of writing time, inspiration, motivation, consistency, etc. It's very much an individual thing.

It'll also likely depend on how active your partners are. I've had games that required all my time and focus to keep up and others that I had to remind myself were still going because my partner(s) posted so infrequently. Obviously one of these was more exclusive than the other in terms of what else I could juggle along with it.

Currently I am, technically, involved with two Werewolf: Forsaken campaigns, two D&D 5e campaigns, and at least five freeform RPs, in that most of those 9 haven't officially ended...but they are pretty much all in varying stages of 'on hold' or updating very infrequently. To me, that counts because they all take up space in my head until I can put them on the shelf and know I don't need to be ready to pick them up again, but it's also limited space because they're so low on activity (much to my chagrin, but ah well, that's how it goes).

How many am I *actively* participating in? One of the D&D campaigns (I'm DMing it) and definitely one of the freeforms, maybe two depending on how active you'd call "actively." I'm ready to post on them at the drop of a hat, I'm just waiting on responses. (None of them are here on E.)

I'll often keep posting in forum format until whoever I'm playing with stops for the day. Not always, but often; I'm the kind of player who improvises up a storm when I'm inspired and then hold onto that mindset until I have to stop and let it go. If it's slower over the course of the day I might only post once or twice when I get a thought on how I want to proceed with it. The more something gets drawn out, the more that drags on my posting, too, as it gets harder to find my way back into the mindset I found interesting for it in the first place.

Depends a lot on the partner, but I like to play "session style" for the reasons noted above when I can. As for how long? Eh, no set period, really. I've gone back and forth for an hour in a few quick posts. I've also gone for 8+ hour sessions, sometimes on consecutive days, but that's the uncommon upper limit. Really just depends on who I'm playing with and our relative schedules and energy levels.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Esoterica

I would say what everyone else is. Everyone is different. Some people work. I dont. That can make a difference. However I am disabled, so it impacts it.

How many role plays are you currently a part of?  I usually am running a group, and sometimes in a group. On top of that I wont go above five one on ones. So that would be seven games all together.
How many role plays are you actively participating in? Erm. Three.
How often do you post to a role play in forum format (not including sessions style)? I average one post every three days.
How often do you do session style where participants are online at same time? I sometimes work on material with other partners at the same time on Discord.
How long are the sessions normally? I cannot really commit to more than an hour at once. My brain starts getting tired. I have a benign brain tumor though, and so I have to think of this too.

Anyway I'd tell anyone. Try things out, see what you feel comfortable with, and dont let anyone else make your decision. No one knows better than you what you can handle.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

Silvered Sutures

How many role plays are you currently a part of?
Off-site I currently have 3 RPs ongoing.

How many role plays are you actively participating in?
All three, though they're pretty much at a "post-a-week" pace which is extremely manageable with average reply word counts of 700-1000.

How often do you post to a role play in forum format (not including sessions style)?
I try to mirror activity of fellow posters, but I know I can't reliably do more than once a day depending on real life obligations.

How often do you do session style where participants are online at same time?
Sporadically, in large part because my availabilities are typically in the 7PM-11PM EST area.

How long are the sessions normally?
Anywhere between 1 hour to 4 on weekdays and 12 on weekends with no prior obligation.
My O/O Thread
Discord handle; Silvered Sutures

jursed

1. How many role plays are you currently a part of?
I am part of at least two roleplays, and another might start soon!

2. How many role plays are you actively participating in?

All of them though sessions are usually once every other week. I run one of them, and I haven't GMed before so it was good experience!

3. How often do you post to a role play in forum format (not including sessions style)?

I haven't roleplayed on forums since I was a teenager, so I'm excited to get back at it.

4. How often do you do session style where participants are online at same time?
Sessions for me are usually every other week in practice! It's hard to fit sessions in a weekday, so they're usually on the weekends.
5. How long are the sessions normally?
Sessions are usually around a couple of hours, depending on how the group feels.

RperSeeker69

As of now I don't believe I am the right person to answer this but since I am here I am going to say I have 0 rps going on right now and have 0 ongoing. I know it isn't the most exciting answer but it is probably realistic in the least. These things happen so I am looking at being optimistic and keeping my eye out case there is something I can do or if someone hits me up in pm. To be fair it is all anyone can really do and eventually who knows I can come back here and edit this proudly. 

Brokk

Too many. :-)

Officially, 14. I put a couple on hold recently due to time limits in my life. A few others are so slow you can watch dust gathering on them.

Perhaps it would be easier to say how many send me 1 or more replies/week. 2-3 (one is on the cusp, at one reply/week)

One sends me 2-3 replies /day. Another sends me 2-3 replies each week. That last one is once/week if I'm lucky. Two that I put on hold were several times/week.

RperSeeker69

Hmm. Well seems like a while ago I posted in here. I have three rps going on with the forums and I have a few going on in pms, though, pm for many isn't a preference so maybe two I guess.

I'm mostly active over on Discord though I haven't received much requests for Discord rp of late. Activity wise it is a toss up and I get people have real lives but sometimes people just vanish which can be a bit disconcerting. I can say for certain though I have; 13 rps, at least two of those are with the same person and at least 7 are also with the same person. I have good days, slow days, worrisome days, and eh days. 4 rps are in the planning phase. 

I still rp in pm and like I said I rp on the site too, but, these days my preferred method is over on Discord. It was March 20th when I first posted in here and honestly hard to believe how things had changed so much since then. Looking forward to more adventures in pm though always open to canon x canon should it come my way.