The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on May 02, 2015, 11:40:16 AM

Didn't Wonder Woman have a new TV show that never got off the ground? Maybe that was what they wanted Whedon for.

Yes, they only made it to the Pilot but the pilot was so terrible it was cancelled, with good reason.

*Cant find the pilot but this review basically covers everything wrong with it*

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2012/01/wonder-woman-2011.html

My god its terrible. I don't even like wonder woman that much but even I feel its a betrayal.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 02, 2015, 11:50:08 AM
Yes, they only made it to the Pilot but the pilot was so terrible it was cancelled, with good reason.

*Cant find the pilot but this review basically covers everything wrong with it*

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2012/01/wonder-woman-2011.html

My god its terrible. I don't even like wonder woman that much but even I feel its a betrayal.

Oh wow, I didn't even know it got far enough to have a pilot made. I thought it just never got out of development hell. Well, it's probably for the best, then. Looks like the CW figured out a better formula in the interim.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 02, 2015, 06:45:01 AM
That sounds good.

Personally, I enjoyed the crap out of it, I can't think of anything I didn't enjoy and only a few very minor things that bothered me.
I love how Spader just walks in the joint and says, "Bitch! This scenery is mine! OM NOM NOM NOM!"

He said this to Robert Downy jr. as well. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Inkidu on May 02, 2015, 03:29:37 PM
I love how Spader just walks in the joint and says, "Bitch! This scenery is mine! OM NOM NOM NOM!"

Spader: Nom...there is..NOm....no scenery around me....Nomnom.

Random thought: SPader's voice is intimidating! A washing machine with his voice would be terrifying.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, I'm not sure which was bigger in this movie - the scenery budget, or the catering budget. Assuming they didn't just fold them both into one line item.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on May 02, 2015, 03:29:37 PM

I saw a clip on youtube where Ultron was talking and it didn't sound at all mechanical, it was just Spader's ordinary voice, which bugged me a little. Even JARVIS can't help but sound slightly digitized, so why not Ultron too? Then again, I'll have to wait til the movie starts to see if that changed. No spoiling it!
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CuriousEyes

Complete Suicide Squad cast photo (minus The Joker) in costume released.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/3/8541017/harley-quinn-suicide-squad-photo-margot-robbie-will-smith

Not sure why they keep excluding Jared Leto from these things. I'd seen some rumors that the image they released (with the tattoos and grill...) was a red herring of sorts and not the actual film look. But considering Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn seems to be following the same aesthetic...

TheGlyphstone

Maybe because he doesn't fit the lighting. He's the only one, even Harley, who's not done out in shades of BROWN and GREY.

Mathim

They all look like shit to me. This was such a bad idea...you'd almost feel sorry for them if they didn't just keep making crap over and over again.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on May 04, 2015, 07:50:44 AM
They all look like shit to me. This was such a bad idea...you'd almost feel sorry for them if they didn't just keep making crap over and over again.

You took the words out of my mouth.

CuriousEyes

Just to play Devil's Advocate, the first X-Men movie by Singer got a lot of costuming grief for cast photos they released prior to any actual film footage. Once it was actually inside the film's settings, the decisions made a lot more sense.

SapphireStar

I saw the cast picture last night. I kept thinking this was a zombie movie and not a movie based on a comic book.

Lustful Bride

Beorning

One: these guys just don't look like comic book characters... Too much of pseudo-realistic soldier-like look.

Two: I'm not entirely disappointed, considering that I've already seen the abomination that is Jared Leto as the Joker.

All in all, this movie's gonna suck, I'm afraid  :-(

CuriousEyes

Hmmm... keeping it going, apparently some set photos (not promotional) from Suicide Squad have been published. Nothing seems really spoilerish, just a few more looks at the characters, only this time on set.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/suicide-squad-means-business-photos-film-set-article-1.2209279

Again, given the look of Harley Quinn, I'm thinking that Joker shot is not a fake-out. They're definitely going with a... certain look, for those two.

And I will say, that's some incredible makeup work on... Killer Croc, I believe?

TheGlyphstone

I have to agree. Croc is the only one of them that actually looks remotely interesting.

SapphireStar

According to news articles, the field of actors in the running for Spider-Man has narrowed down to two. Asa Butterfield and Tom Holland >>  Was looking forward to a new Spider-Man movie, but not impressed with the actors.

CaptainNexus616

Oh wow........they look wayyyyy to young. I mean its cool to get a young actor but damn they don't look over 15! I am suddenly beginning to want Andrew Garfield to come back........
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 04, 2015, 08:40:00 PM
Oh wow........they look wayyyyy to young. I mean its cool to get a young actor but damn they don't look over 15! I am suddenly beginning to want Andrew Garfield to come back........

Speak not of the unworthy one! Let's face facts: Spider-Man is never going to get justice on the big screen. Somehow the studio heads have just not gotten the message that young Peter Parker is not the right guy for his high-flying adventures. Even in his own solo universe he feels out of place, let alone how he's going to be amidst the Avengers.

CaptainNexus616

They didn't get the message of too many villains and subplots was a bad idea when they did Spider-Man 3 and made the same mistake in TSAM 2.....

Gonna try and stay open minded but....Sony is really not making it easy.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 04, 2015, 10:36:46 PM
They didn't get the message of too many villains and subplots was a bad idea when they did Spider-Man 3 and made the same mistake in TSAM 2.....

Gonna try and stay open minded but....Sony is really not making it easy.

And Feige over at Marvel is becoming their freaking enabler of bad ideas here. TASM 2 was god-awful with or without too many villains anyway. Awkward teenage Peter Parker, for the third time, is just not going to work. Target demographics don't mean you have to be a mirror to them, and that demographic isn't the main contributor anyway. Usually the 18-35 crowd is what these would aim for, but to go lower doesn't mean the main character has to be a fucking kid, he just has to be awesome. There's no need to go all Hunger Games or Divergent and make the little people feel special because someone their age has superpowers or is special for some other reason. Spider-Man, and comics in general, are no longer a young adult trademark. Everyone who grew up with them enough to make them a success in the first place is older now and expects a bit more maturity in the character because that's what makes a good superhero. Even if they didn't become one until adulthood (virtually all of them), that critical life experience is what gives them the ability to make good use of their powers, not some fluke because they're young and get lucky which people who haven't been jaded have yet to figure out is just a pipe dream. Nobody wants to live vicariously through superheroes, we like to watch the stories unfold and play out like our favorite myths with explosions and punching and adult situations. Is that too damn much to ask for, movie people?

CaptainNexus616

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 05, 2015, 07:55:08 AM
Found this little amusing video

That's so funny, I'd always wanted to make a montage video of all the main heroes (minus Hawkeye and Widow) played to the song from Matt Stone and Trey Parker's other movie, Orgazmo. I think them showing their evolution into the heroes they become would go really well with the sound and lyrics of "Now You're a Man".

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on May 05, 2015, 08:30:42 AM
That's so funny, I'd always wanted to make a montage video of all the main heroes (minus Hawkeye and Widow) played to the song from Matt Stone and Trey Parker's other movie, Orgazmo. I think them showing their evolution into the heroes they become would go really well with the sound and lyrics of "Now You're a Man".

Oh god id love to see that X3

CuriousEyes

Sorry, I'm sure the entire world has seen this one already but it still cracked me up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM