"I'm in love with my grandson and we're having a baby!"

Started by Noelle, April 29, 2010, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Trieste

Shrug.

She has gone through menopause and cannot conceive.

They are both of legal age.

They met as adults and were not socialized as relatives.

So who cares?

Paladin

The fact that they are biologicaly related though still screams INCEST!!! to me.

Doomsday

Quote from: Paladin on April 29, 2010, 08:44:24 PM
The fact that they are biologicaly related though still screams INCEST!!! to me.

Of course it's incest. Just because they're not having children (actually, they are having a child, though it's surrogate and isn't technically inbred) doesn't mean it's not.

I was debating this up and down in another forum I inhabit... All the power to them, though it makes me queasy just thinking about it.

Trieste

It's pretty much a matter of, why do we have a taboo against incest? Well, because there is ample space for abuse, especially if it takes place between a child and a parent. That is clearly not the case here. The second reason is because breeding with one's own genetic relatives increases the chance that recessive genes will show up in children. This isn't so bad when the recessive gene is, say, blood type O. This IS a bad thing when the recessive gene is Down's syndrome. That is clearly ALSO not the case here.

So, although I personally wouldn't get it on with my grandfather, why in the world are we so worried about these two? Aren't there enough unhappy couples in the world due to social problems?

Doomsday

Who knows why anything is taboo. Does everybody forget how convoluted European royal family trees were? People act like incest is something new and dangerous when it's been around forever. Hell, how did we go from hundreds of thousands of specimens, thousands of years ago, to 6 billion today? There had to be plenty of in-breeding. Some might argue that there's a greater chance of matching recessive genes that cause deficiencies/diseases, but the chances of deformity are greater if you just breed within your own race.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Trieste on April 29, 2010, 08:26:45 PM
They met as adults and were not socialized as relatives.

This is the big important bit here. At least from my perspective. I was sent to foster care and later adopted as an infant. Eighteen years down the road I worked as a legal clerk in the law firm that had done my adoption, and one afternoon I pulled the file with my name on it, locked myself in my office, and had a read. I have multiple blood siblings. Since I grew up in the same area as my birth family it is possible that I met  one them by chance, it is possible that I dated one of them, if I had had sex before college it would have been possible for me to have sex with my brother or sister and never even know it. Would that have been a problem? Would it not be a problem for me to have sex with the women I grew up in the same house as and knew from birth as my sisters, just because they aren't related to me by blood?

Sure, incest leads to a higher chance of recessive genetic disorders, but with a good medical history and genetic screening, I can't really see that alone being an impediment. The major problems of incest are the psychological ones, and I would be far more psychologically scarred being forced into a sexual scenario with my 'sisters' than with a random man or woman I met on the street, even if that random person later turned out to be a blood relative.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

desert ashes

My only concerns with this relationship are the same ones I have with every relationship that has such a staggering age difference: longevity.  Right now they're in love, having a baby and really excited about their future; they have their common interests, dreams and goals, but how long is that going to last?  Pearl is seventy-two years old, he's twenty-seven -- there are two generational differences with values, traditions, ways of child raising, ideals, dreams and et cetera, that haven't even come up yet to be dealt with. 

Not to mention, what about when this child grows older?  By the time he/she graduates high school, Pearl will either be 90 or dead.  (I have no clue about her medical history, but for Pete's sake, the woman is no spring chicken.)  Technically she's not being forced to give up this child, unlike her daughter, but is almost imposing a deadline of how much time they'll have together.  (I know, I know, anyone can die at any time, yada yada.)

I haven't yet seen a relationship with a huge age difference, like this one, survive past five years unless it was based on waiting for the old guy to drop dead so the bimbo can inherit gobs of money just for shaking her ass a few times a week and helping along the heart attack that eventually killed him.  All the power to them and it's great that they're happy, but can't say I think they're having a child is the greatest idea.

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

GeekFury

I just saw this over at The Spoony Experiment.. Put me off my breakfast.

Will

The only thing that puts me off here is the child.  Two consenting adults can do whatever they like, but the child has no choice in the matter, and will probably suffer a lot for it.

But, children aside, I don't have any issues with the couple themselves.  Although I will concede that it isn't very pleasant to think about. >.>
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac