Pathfinder Skulls and shackles (closed for apps see new thread for second table)

Started by Tamhansen, March 11, 2016, 07:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

Hi guys.

After having been away for a while due to personal stuff, I'm back and finding myself with extra time. I was wondering if there would be any interest in running Pathfinder's pirate campaign Skulls and shackles. Looking for a group of 5 to six daily posters (not enforced too strictly)

Character creation would be very standard
20 point build level 1
No 3pp
Max HP at level 1, then max hp at every level up.
Races: Core and any other Paizo race up to 10 points. (Exceptions can be granted with a good backstory or generous bribery :P)
2 traits, one of which must be a campaign trait. (players guide for the campaign is a free download if you need).  Third trait can be bought with a drawback.
Starting gold is max for your class. (so 300 for fighters, 240 for rogues etc)
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

freeko

Blinkin

I'll put in my interest and call dibs on a swashbuckler. lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Chulanowa

Definitely interested. And I think I might actually have a couple concepts to throw into this.

mellowdude

Interested, but not yet sure what as. Probably a full caster of some sort (or maybe a summoner (I'll just focus on the eidolon/buffing/battlefield control and not flood the area with minions if I do) )

Are you running Tamhansen?

Tamhansen

That's the idea yeah. Hopefully get a group maybe two going in the next week or two.
ons and offs

LostSoul

I might be rather interested. Probably wish to be a slayer type.`
"Take another bite/It'll be alright/What's wrong will soon feel right/Dangerous tonight

Take another sip/Let it kiss your lips/And let a little drip on your thighs

If you let me I'll untie your sensuality/I'll open up your heart and satisfy my greed" -A Cooper

Chulanowa

Shoot, I gotta look up what races are 10 points or less now  :-)

Edit: if anypne's curious, I went and looked 'em up (and did calculations on some that didn't have RP listed)
Races with 10 RP or less
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Halfling
Half-Orc
Human
Catfolk
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Ifrit
Kobold
Orc
Oread
Ratfolk
Sylph
Undine
Duergar
Grippli
Vanara
Gnoll
Lizardfolk
Skinwalker
Changeling (8)
Gillmen (6)
Kitsune (9)
Nagaji (7)
Samsaran (9)
Orank-Pendak (8)

Blinkin

I would offer that playing a sea-born race didn't work out for two players in this AP that I know of. Fins and decks didn't work too well it seemed and the constant need to stay wet was more a determent than it really needed to be. So, while there's water all around, actually being in the water didn't seem to of occurred to anyone designing the AP, or at least in the limited exposure that I have had with it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Tamhansen

AP's are written with core races in mind, hence little underwater adventuring, though there is some swimming involved in every part.
ons and offs

Blinkin

Question.

Can we take a flaw/drawback for an extra trait?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tamhansen

ons and offs

mellowdude

Dibs on Wizard with the ship's surgeon trait. With spells like Mending, Infernal Healing, Unseen Servant, Crafter's Fortune, Glue Seal, Jury Rig, Ant Haul, etc. I think a Wizard could do a pretty good job.

Current build idea is Half Elf Exploiter Wizard with the Quick Study exploit (can swap out a prepared spell with a full round action a few times per day) so I can keep combat spells prepared, but swap them out for utility spells at a moment's notice. I'll flesh it out in sheet form soon.

Quote from: Chulanowa on March 11, 2016, 10:54:30 AM
Shoot, I gotta look up what races are 10 points or less now  :-)

Edit: if anypne's curious, I went and looked 'em up (and did calculations on some that didn't have RP listed)
Races with 10 RP or less
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Halfling
Half-Orc
Human
Catfolk
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Ifrit
Kobold
Orc
Oread
Ratfolk
Sylph
Undine
Duergar
Grippli
Vanara
Gnoll
Lizardfolk
Skinwalker
Changeling (8)
Gillmen (6)
Kitsune (9)
Nagaji (7)
Samsaran (9)
Orank-Pendak (8)

Thank you, that was extremely helpful!

freeko

Quote from: Blinkin on March 11, 2016, 01:54:17 PM
Question.

Can we take a flaw/drawback for an extra trait?

The correct answer is yes.

So far my character is Human, and "fights things".

Chulanowa

I'm leaning towards gunslinger (If I can find a good image) or rogue ('Cause... rogues are goddamned easy). Depends on what I find  ;D

Blinkin

Settled on... surprise coming... An Inspired Blade Swashbuckler with the Eye for Plunder trait. I gave him some roguish skills, but if we have an actual rogue who can actually do roguish stuff, I'll alter that aspect.

Usually, no one likes to play rogues, so I've tended to adopt the critical elements like lockpicking and such, but again, happy to let an actual rogue take those task.

spoiler=Harlo Glazer]

Still a work in progress and open to slight changes. A character sheet will come in the near future. The image is, I'm told, reasonably close to the description, so...
Name: Harlo Glazer
Race: Half-Elf
Sex: Male
Class: Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)

Physical Description:

Standing at a not-unimpressive 5’10, Harlo is a ruggedly handsome figure of a man with slightly curly dark brown hair that usually looks wind-swept. His hair frames a tanned, strong-jawed face that’s dominated by large, deep green eyes under even dark brows. A strong, patrician nose resides above sensual lips that seem to always be ever so slightly curled as if he finds something secretly amusing, although what that might be is forever a mystery to everyone.
A lean, wide-shouldered form is accentuated by well toned, muscular limbs and a broad chest over a tight waist in a V-shape that runs from his shoulders. Narrow hips move with the grace of a dancer… or predator… with each deliberate movement of his legs.

Most often found in loose, comfortable tunics with well fitted leather breaches tucked into thigh high, turned down boots and a coat of contrasting color, He strikes quite a figure wherever he goes. A finely tooled weapons belt with a rapier on the left under an obviously well crafted buckler sits casually about his hips with a sash that matches his tunic. A wide-brimmed, heavily plumed hat completes the image of the dashing fencer before you.

Personality:

Harlo never lacks for something to say, usually witty and perhaps just a little insulting, but that’s usually to his opponents. A fairly happy-go-lucky man, Harlo is everything that a swashbuckler should be, urbane, polite, and loves a good duel. While he might plan to kill a man tomorrow, there’s no reason why he can’t sit down and have a drink with the man for some banter and piffy interchanges the day before. As long as the rules of etiquette are followed, he’ll even buy the drink. But, when the time calls for seriousness… well, he’s probably not the guy to look toward.  He’s not lazy, or doesn’t take things seriously, he just doesn’t want to look like he’s doing so. But, when the decks are awash with blood and the sails are flapping in the dead air, he’s the man you want at your back… Unless you’ve doubled crossed him, in which case, he’s still going to want to be at your back!

That’s not to say that Harlo doesn’t have morals and principles; he has lots of morals and principles and you can rely on him to stick to them… you may not know what they are, but you can be absolutely certain that he’ll follow them.

Background:

The son of moderately prosperous merchants, Harlo was introduced to ships and sails at a young age and never looked back. While he’s at home on land and is perfectly happy to roam the country-side; the salt of the sea is never far from his heart. By the time that he was old enough to set out on his own, he’s gone to sea and rarely looked back.

A naturally gifted talent with a blade, it only took Harlo a few weeks to begin to learn what would become his career with the rapier and buckler. Quick-witted and quick on his feet, the dance of parry and thrust, of flashing blades and the ring of steel on steel drew him as strongly as the feel of deck planks under his feet. As dedicated as he is to his art, he learned the tricks and traits of fancy sword-play until it was engraved into his very bones; a natural extension of his arms. It’s not enough to simply beat a man, but you must do it with style!

Over the months and years, Harlo has seen many of the places where water meets land and a fair amount of the world beyond that boundary, but in his heart, if it’s not within sight of the sea and he hasn’t laid eyes upon it himself, it simply doesn’t exist. A man with a restless soul, it’s not in him to stand still when there’s still things to see, women to experience and places to go.

[/spoiler]
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Well, heavily armored Paladins have a minor problem when introduced to water. I have a running joke that Paladins are the only class I have discovered to exist in Pathfinder because I mostly just refuse to play anything else.

I guess I could just forego heavy armor and YOLO it up while still being a Paladin.

I am exploring options, but I plan on fighting things instead of slinging spells.

Actually now that I think about it, I might be able to do a Paladin "Archer" that I guess would be pistols for the purposes of the scenery?

Guess I gotta see where my hallucinations take me later tonight. I'll make sure to get the biggest and cheapest vat of vodka I can find to make sure I get all nice and screwed up to figure out the stats. I never really have a high STR score on my builds to begin with so that part wont be all that big a deal. I could shift into CHR/DEX/CON focus which is not far off from normal since I would go CHR/CON/X.

How much STR does an archer usually have? I need CHR to Paladin, and WIS is pretty much a dump stat along with INT mostly speaking.

Right now I think this could work..

Blinkin

You do know that this is an evil adventure path? Or, at least, as pirates, they'll lean toward evil alignments. That could be a problem for paladins... aside from the sinking characteristics of armor when subjected to planks. ;)

Just for reference, Harlo will be lawful neutral; his own set of morals and principles that'll probably be so screwed up by a vaguely evil tendency that not even he'll understand them.

"Are you calling me a pirate? Good, because that's what I am! No, I never flew the skull and crossed bones, that's for your pictioneers, but I have saught fame and fortune on the seas with no regard for any man's law."
"But that's not to say without morals and principles! Hell, I have morals and principles! I never killed a man who didn't have it coming, I've never raped and I've never pillaged."
--Bully Hazes, "Nate and Hayes"
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Chulanowa

Yeah, the AP specifically calls out paladins as a "tough choice' - 'cause we WILL be murd'rin' and plund'rin,  Y'harr.

Maybe try antipaladin? it's one of the few AP's that they can work in, and there's an archetype that allows for antipaladins with lawful or neutral evil alignments.

freeko

Okay, Paladin and Anti-Paladin are wholly interchangeable and the distinction at least for me between the two is wholly irrelevant. Especially at this stage where I am starting to look into concepts still. I would not stat an Anti-Paladin differently the only change is that I take every instance of Good or Evil and transpose them.

I need to stop feeling like death before I can really concentrate enough on this in the first place. Been sick all week long and today seems to be that day where it really has shown itself with all the coughing and crap. Hopefully it means that tomorrow I should be feeling alot better because it feels like I am at the high point of feeling like death so it should start to level off either tonight or tomorrow.

I still have an idea in mind, and I think it fits the Paladin frame I like to normally use. Being good or evil is irrelevant right now.

RubySlippers

I'm mulling over a LE monk, okay Pirates tend to be chaotic but well they have a structure one could exploit and their own law, and a half-orc monk would be nothing to laugh at on a ship not needing armor and weapons could be as simple as thick gloves to punch in faces with.

Blinkin

Theo The Thief sneaks up behind the monk with a portable ballasta for a sneak attack... ;)

Back in the 90's, when martial arts was at a high point with "kids" and everyone seemed to think that they were Jackie Chan in the making, I continued to tell people that all of that kickin', spinnin' and punchin' will never win against a 12 gauge. Sadly, I knew one of the "kids" who thought that he and his fancy expanding batons were bad ass enough to get into a bar fight... the 12 gauge won.

I do like monkeys; they can be badass when played properly... My rangers usually love them as well because they can turn them into porkupines in realitively short order. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

concept

Well thats the fruits of my efforts so far being in the mostly dead state of being that I am with this head cold/sinus infection I have. Probably going to switch out the stabby thing for a shooty thing. As you can see on the image, not so heavy armor.

Tamhansen

Very interesting concepts so far. A bit more lawful than I'm used to in this AP, but that could work.

Hope to see some more folks joining our merry crew, I like a big group for these kind of games
ons and offs

Chulanowa

Don't worry, I'm looking at Neutral / Chaotic neutral / Neutral evil. lawful pirates? Whaaaat?

Chulanowa

Blinkin

I'm not concerned about the lawful side of things, lawful in and of itself only vaguely applies as lawful evil ultimately means that laws are there to be broken if it serves your purposes.

Lawful neutral more or less means that you have a set of values that you live by, they may, or may not be in accordance with someone's laws elsewhere.

The pirate community, in the real world actually had a loose set of things that you did and didn't do in given situations. That are unwritten laws. So lawful (as long as not good) is an acceptable alignment.

Ultimately, chaos is concerned with balance between good and evil. Not in causing it or that it gives you permission to do anything because it, well chaos. In theory, a chaotic good character will do nothing evil because it's not good. Good and Evil are clearly black and white, so if you do something even hinting at evil... can't do it. Evil is slightly more flexable, but not much. Neutral... well, that's where psychopaths come from, or people who can't decide what to have for breakfast because it might upset the balance.

Or, that's the traditional meanings from the very, very old days.I like lawful neutral because it's flexible and lets you build a character who doesn't have to be bound by a set of laws, but has some code that they live by, but can act if something requires action.

True neutral... These are suppose to be the psychopaths and psychotics. In my games of the old days, true neutral was never an option unless you could give me a really good reason for it.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

mellowdude

Blinkin

I'm not going to get into an argument over alignments. We each see it as we see it, regardless of the official descriptions. I was being facicious in my previous description of true neutral, but since it was brought up, this is from the d20 site for pathfinder.

Neutral

A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos (and thus neutral is sometimes called “true neutral”). Most neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character probably thinks of good as better than evil—after all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.

Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run.

Neutral means you act naturally in any situation, without prejudice or compulsion.

A bit different, but makes sense to me.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Neutral to me meant that you always sought out to balance the equation. I played a mage who was neutral way back when THAC0 was still a thing. He would just as easily buff the party as he would the enemy with spells depending on who was "ahead" in the fight.  Essentially turning on the party if they got ahead in his mind to the point that the defeat of their enemy was the only foregone conclusion.

Law and Chaos refer to the characters desire to play within the "rules". A lawful character does not do things that would go against their rules of engagement. For example a Lawful character would want to simply detain an enemy and bring them to justice where a Chaotic character would just as easily kill them first. Both could be "Good" in their overall intention but their methods are totally different in how they defeat and deal with the threat at hand.

I should not even have to go into Good and Evil. No one screws that one up very much, but I do see alot of alignment breaks with Law or Chaos with how they perceive a threat. A Good character will not murder someone no matter if they are Lawful or Chaotic. Killing in the heat of battle I would say is an exception to being Good or Lawful because it doesnt matter what alignment you are if the character is dead.

Blinkin

As I said, I'm not getting into an argument or a discussion over alignment. Everyone sees it differently and the official definations  really don't come into play in these things. People play as they think that the alignment requires.

Having said that, a game in which a character starts aiding the enemy, for whatever reason, would shortly be a character fewer in number. Most likely me. I just don't care to play in a group where betraying your companions is considered acceptable.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

mellowdude

Even after reading what Blinkin quoted and going through the page on alignments, I'm still not completely clear on this stuff (perhaps it's too vague?), but whatever,

Quote from: Blinkin on March 12, 2016, 08:43:57 AMI just don't care to play in a group where betraying your companions is considered acceptable.
On this, we are completely in agreement and I think that's what really matters. Rest assured, whatever alignment my character ends up picking, they will never willingly betray the party or be a fishmalk. Just looking to have a good time fighting monsters.

:-)

On a different note, what kind of ESRB rating would this game get? And what board would it be hosted in?

Blinkin

I think that the alignment descriptions are meant to be somewhat vague to allow for some leeway in player interpretation. If it was too strictly defined, then those pesky penalties for breaking alignment would hit far harder. But, it's also why there's so much "discussion" on the matter. It's almost as bad as politics and religion... You're right and you're determined to make everyone see things the same way. ;) It's generally best to talk over how a particular GM sees things and settle it that way.

ESB? That's  a new one on me... or I don't remember what it stands for.

All of this brings up another question for general consumption and discussion. Spellcasters focusing on buffing or offensive/defensive spells... Anyone want to hazard which direction your spell caster will go? Buff's are nice for helping the rest of the party perform better, but I know way too many players who like to throw big offensive spells so they feel like fighters. lol

And last but not least... Harlo's character mechanics.

Harlo Glazer

Name: Harlo Glazer      Player: Blinkin
Race: Half-Elf            Sex: Male
Class: Swashbuckler-Inspired Blade   Favored Class: Swashbuckler
Level: 1            EXP: 000
Alignment: LN         Next Level: 2,000

Measurements: 8”            Weight: 185 lbs

Ability Scores:
STR:   11 (+0) Carry: L: 38, M: 76, H: 115
DEX:16    (+3)
CON:12    (+1)
INT:   10 (+0)
WIS:   12 +1)
CHA:16    (+3)

Saving Throws:         Combat:
Fort: +1         HP: 11/11
Reflex: +5         Init: +5
Will: +1         Speed: 30’

Offense:            Defense:
BAB:   +1            AC:      17
TAB:   +5         AC (Touch):    13
Range:   +4         AC (Flatfoot):   14
CMB:+1            CMD: +14

Class Skills: (5 per level)
Total   Skill (CS+Ability+Modif.+SR)

9   Acrobatics (DEX (3+3+2+1)
7      Bluff (CHR) (3+3+0+1)
4   Climb (STR) (3+0+0+1
6      Perception(WIS) (3+1+1+1)
3   Stealth (Dex) (3+3+0+0)
4   Swim (STR) (3+0+0+1)
1   Use Magical Device (WIS) (3+1+0+0)

Languages: Common, Elven

Feats:
(RF=Racial Feature, CF=Class Feature)

1st Level
RF -   Exotic Weapon Proficiency; Whip: Gain proficiency with Whips.
Fencer’s Grace: Add  Dex mod to damage instead of STR, +2 to CMD vs disarm
CF -   Deeds: Daring Do, Dodging Panache, Opportune parry & repost
CF -   Inspired Finesse: Weapon Finesse & Weapon focus; Rapiers bonus Feat
CF -   Weapon Focus; Rapier: +1 to Attacks with rapier. (From Inspired Finesse)
CF -   Inspired Panache (4): Points to perform deeds equal to CHA+INT mods

Traits/racial traits:
Ability Racial Modification: +2 to any one ability score.
Ancestral Arms: gain an Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat. Replaces adapt
Elf Blood: Counts as both elves and humans for racial effects.
Elven Immunities: Immune to sleep, +2 vs enchantments.
Fey Blood: gain favored terrain, 3 0th level spells & 1 1st level spell as spell like ability 1x day (Water). Replaces Keen Senses.
Fey Thoughts: Gain 2 skills as class skills. Replaces Multi Talented.
Racial Senses; Low-light vision: Sees twice as far as humans in dim light.
   Favored Class: ¼ Panache point per level. (0)
Drawback
   Overprotective: -2 to attack and skill checks if 10+’ from a fallen ally.
Traits:
Crowd Dodger: +2 to acrobatics when moving into/out of or through threatened squares.
Elven Reflexes: +2 to Init.
Eye for plunder: +1 to appraise and perception to find concealed or hidden objects, including doors. Begin with 50 gp of trade goods.

Coin:         wt:
   PP:      1   .05
GP:   8   .40
SP:    0   0
CP:    0   0
Total GP:18      .45 lbs
Other Valuables:
Equipment:
Rapier: 20 GP
Dam: 1D6+3   Crit: 18-20 X2   Wt: 3
Dagger): 2 gp
Dam:1d4+3   Crit: 19-20(x2)   Wt: 1   rng: 10’
Whip: 2 gp
Dam:1d433   Crit: 20(x2)   Wt: 2   rng: 10’
Buckler: 5 GP
AC: +1   DEX --:   Skill: -0   Spell: 5%   wt: 5
MWStudded Leather: 175 gp
AC: +3   DEX +5:   Skill: -0   Spell: 15%   wt: 20
   Weapon and Armor Weight: 31 lbs

Item            Cost   Weight   Notes:
Backpack, Masterworked:   50   2 (43 lbs.=Light)
Canteen:         2   1
Clothing, Traveler’s:      0   1
Pouch, belt:         1   .5
Sash, Adventurer’s:      20   3
Wrist Sheath; Spring:      5   1 (dagger)
Total Weight:39.95 lbs. (Light)

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Quote from: mellowdude on March 12, 2016, 10:16:43 AMOn a different note, what kind of ESRB rating would this game get? And what board would it be hosted in?

I damn well hope AO.

mellowdude

Hmm... okay, so my spells prepared on an average day would look like this I think:

Enlarge Person, Color Spray x2, Grease, Silent Image

I could maybe keep one or two more enlarge persons prepared, but I can't think of too many other buffs on the wizard list at this level (I might've missed something and I'm open to suggestions (I'll keep protection from evil in my book so I can get it the next turn if we need it, but not keeping it memorized as we'll only need it if someone gets charmed or something) ). Out of combat (I can swap out spells with a full round action using my arcane reservoir), I can use Infernal Healing (fast healing 1 for a minute giving 10 HP) if I haven't run out of slots.

About the board thing, I'll probably bow out if we're doing non con.

Tamhansen

Okay.

So far I have Blinkin starring as Errol Flynn :P ehm I mean a swashbuckler.
Mellowdude as an exploiter wizard
Freeko as an archer paladin (divine/profane hunter?) of to be determined alignment
Chulanowa as a gunslinger or rogue
Rubyslippers as a monk

If I have that correct, and everyone is still interested, I think we have a good table ready. If we can find a divine caster for this group that would be awesome. It's not really needed at first, but at higher level you want a few 'remove nasty' spells

The game will be AO, as for which board I'll leave that to the party on a lowest threshold basis. Personally, considering the AP it can run from light to Non con. Personally I see no reason for Extreme.
ons and offs

Tamhansen

Also, for those who believe Pirates are a lawless bunch, here's a little history fact.

http://vk.com/video186914192_169214670
ons and offs

Blinkin

I wouldn't worry about the thread ending up in NC; I've seen lots of threads go into NC that had no NC elements at all. It's just to give a buffer for the players/GM in the event that something questionable for Light pops up.

I usually run my games in Extreme just to make sure that whatever happens is covered. I don't intend for extreme elements to occur, but I feel better with the leeway in content.

Personally, I would go with NC over light for the simple reason that it's covering just about everything that might happen; I've never seen an Adventure Path with even PG ratings, and I don't see our GM trying to include NC elements in the story... but if a couple of players want to play with the ropes on deck... they're safe from moderation.

I don't see any reason to drop over the forum being a step up the ladder simply because it's in NC.

As I said earlier, If Chew goes with a rogue, I'll make some very minor changes to Harlo; there's no real need to have a swashbuckler... mr. Flynn... picking locks and looking for traps if we have an expert with us.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Well, strictly speaking I would be LG or CE for alignment. Then again if the GM allows something a little more like a NG/NE given the scenario would allow for it? I guess having that sorted would allow me to make my character. Though I certainly do want to make a Paladin since that is my comfort zone, I am not so sure it "fits" as the archetype would need to be adjusted somewhat first.

Then again that is why I simply ask the GM to see if the alignment can be shifted a little to get out of the lawful stupid pidgeonhole that I absolutely hate being wedged into in the first place. I think having the aura of good and detect evil is a paladin mainstay along with the anti-paladin having the inverse. So my character would be either Good or Evil accordingly. I would hope that the concepts of law or chaos need not be adhered to otherwise I will end up making a strictly worse fighter/archer when I lose the divine favors granted by being a paladin.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 12, 2016, 11:37:39 AM
Also, for those who believe Pirates are a lawless bunch, here's a little history fact.

http://vk.com/video186914192_169214670

And Pirates of the Inner Sea has codes for Pirates and Privateers near the back.

Tamhansen

@freeko. Antipaladins are by nature LE. But i find the class to be quite restricting. I'd happily allow you to play a paladin with LE alignment, simply oppose the alignment indicators on your speels and abilities.
ons and offs

Blinkin

Again, palidins and pirates don't get along too well. You'll probably find detect evil a little frustrating as just about everyone around you will set it off.

Your best bet is anti-paladin, and you could probably go a step in either direction without losing anything as our GM has said that he'll allow it.

In the end, S&S really isn't designed for "good" characters; it's not as bad as Way of the Wicked, but it's hard to be a "good" pirate... all of that raping and pillaging is hard on the good hearted. lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

freeko

Yeah well, someone has to make sure that the ship has proper provisions.. I could go shopping or something while you up and waterboard someone. ;p

Tamhansen

I never said taking a step. I said he could be an evil paladin. LE but with the paladin class instead of the AP class. But it is up to him.
ons and offs

Blinkin

"My, what interesting architecture..."

;)

I'm playing a thief in a 5E table top game with a paladin who's... apparently... shopping for a faith to follow since the one that he started out with doesn't do the vengeance/justice thing...

At 1st level, our first encounter with 10 bandits (against 7 PC's) and he's the only one who's not engaging the bad-guys because he's notn sure that they're hostile... They attacked with crossbows and then drew weapons... what makes you think that they're friendly? He then took the whole fight trying to locate the leader because... he's a paladin and he simply must face the leader.

Then... he asked... "Should we try to capture one of them for information?"

"Sure, but what are you going to do when you've figured out that a bandit pee-on in the middle of nowhere isn't going to know jack aabout what we're after (trying to get to the capital and report a town massacred)?"

A paladin can't kill a prisoner, you can't take him with us and you can't let him go to prey upon other travelers and you can't leave him in 3 feet of snow to starve...

So, we captured a bandit and when we left... we were still trying to figure out what to do with him.

Now, he's trying to catch the thief in a lie because the player knows that it's a lie... but it's actually not a lie because there's enough truth in it to actually be true from the thief's point of view... "I was wounded defending the town... just because that defense involved getting struck in the head while trying to trip an attacker... in the process of running for his life (unarmed and unarmored)... he was still defending the town... by accident. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 12, 2016, 01:23:08 PM
I never said taking a step. I said he could be an evil paladin. LE but with the paladin class instead of the AP class. But it is up to him.

Moving from LG to LE is a step on the alignment scale... it's even allowed for a diety as it's still within one step of a LG goed.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tamhansen

ons and offs

Skynet

Hey folks. Is there room for one more?

I had a few character ideas. It seems some folks are raising the possibility of non-Core classes and archetypes, such as a Swashbuckler. In that case, can there be choices for Advanced Player's Guide and Ultimate Magic/Combat? Such as say, a Magus, Alchemist, or Gunslinger?

Right now I've seen folks suggest wanting to play a Wizard, gunslinger/rogue, monk, and swashbuckler. It seems we're rather covered on the melee front, assuming everybody sticks to what they planned, but rather light on the magical front especially when it comes to the divine.

The first idea I was thinking of was probably some kind of mobile combatant elf girl. Likely an unarmed Magus, Monk, Rogue, or even Alchemist. Ideally I think leaning towards alchemist may be best for this party set-up:

The second idea was a devotee of Callistria, a fortune-telling cleric or seer who wields a mean whip in combat:

Chulanowa

I dunno about Calistria (overplayed on E, IMO) but a cleric of Besmara would be fun to see!

I'm definitely going for a rogue-type. Leaves a little squirm room for particulars at the moment, but definitely a dexterity-based combatant with the skills to pay the bills.

freeko

Quote from: Skynet on March 12, 2016, 02:01:54 PM
Hey folks. Is there room for one more?

The info for characters is on the first page, though the second idea seems fun I must say.

------

@Tamhansen: So I would essentially be a Paladin but "evil" instead of good? I would channel negative energy, detect good, smite good, and have an aura of injustice for example? Seems easily adjusted though I would still function in the same way as a "Paladin" would with healing the party with lay on hands and the like?

Skynet

Actually, I think I dived in too eagerly before looking everything over.

If this is daily, we can keep our posts short, right? I usually do longer posts on E out of habit and due to the style of my current games, and to avoid burnout/writer's block doing short posts like a paragraph or two at most may be doable for me.

freeko

Here I figured you to manage an essay about 4 pages long daily.

Sometimes there just isnt much to do aside from fight things, so its not like I would have any expectation of a whole chapter of a novel from you (or anyone else for that matter) to describe how they attack the thing they are attacking.

Just my thoughts on the matter, for what little it is worth.

Chulanowa

I've just gotta decide on race now. So close... so verra verra close. *cranks up the Alestorm*

Blinkin

As our illustrious GM said some time back, we would probably need a devine caster at some point and besmara could be interesting in that regard.

As Chewy has settled on a rogue, I'll have to adjust Harlo a bit and that'll let me focus a little more on swashbuckler type skills.

My main combat tactic involves movement about the battlefield... strike and move on to try to get flanking positions on enemies... So, a movement based, dex based light fighter with some social skills.

I can usually do a post a day, depending on what everyone else has done. More likely a post ever other day, but we'll see how it all works olut
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tamhansen

yeah short posts is okay. Considering the style of the game writing essay posts would sometimes get confusing and lose the pace. Try to avoid one sentence replies though, unless it's fitting.
ons and offs

Chulanowa

Quote from: Blinkin on March 12, 2016, 02:57:30 PM
As our illustrious GM said some time back, we would probably need a devine caster at some point and besmara could be interesting in that regard.

As Chewy has settled on a rogue, I'll have to adjust Harlo a bit and that'll let me focus a little more on swashbuckler type skills.

My main combat tactic involves movement about the battlefield... strike and move on to try to get flanking positions on enemies... So, a movement based, dex based light fighter with some social skills.

I can usually do a post a day, depending on what everyone else has done. More likely a post ever other day, but we'll see how it all works olut

So. Flank-buddies?  ;D Sneak attacks on one side, ripostes on the other. Our enemies are gonna hurt, man.

Blinkin

They won't know what hit them!

At 3rd level, he gets precision damage... between sneak attacks, riposte and precision... going to be a nasty pair! ;)

The poor bastard turns his back on the rogue, he's screwed, turns his back on the swashbuckler, he's screwed and Harlo will take the attack so our dear rogue can put something in his kidneys... love Parry and Riposte!

Made a couple of minor changes to Harlo... got rid of the thiefy things and added a skill... got a whip and ready to go, I think.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

RubySlippers

Arrrr Matey says I, be playin' a Half-orc Monk with the Martial Artist archetype I be with many variant Half-orc traits tying her and her blood as salty as it is strong to the sea and oceans be of her fathers and mothers kin and me be no one to be messin' with unless you can prove you be worthy. Arrrr.  :D

Blinkin unless they be barbarian stock or such with class abilities to be making the flanking pigeonholin' teamwork not be a good choice or they be havin' their backs watched by shipmates. Or they have no backs but a slime or ooz boards the ship webeon we be havin' bigger troublesince we can' be burning them things and they eat wood. Arrr.

Okay enough pirate talk for now.  ;D

Tamhansen

Okay, I think we'll have a full table.

@Skynet I'd prefer the Cleric. Not too fussed about which god, though as said, Besmara does give some perks. I just like the idea of the whip.

I'll set up a game thread in Non con tomorrow, unless anyone objects.

I think we have a pretty good team here, hope we can really go for it.

Oh also, please don't buy mounts with your starting cash unless you're wanting the captain to eat steak during the trip. (I actually had a few players buy them on this AP)
ons and offs

Tamhansen

ons and offs

Skynet

Alrighty then, I have my character to go up on Myth-Weavers now. Tell me what you think! Still need to choose traits... Chosen!

Also, transferring relevant details here:

Izora

HP 10
AC 11 (-1 dex, +2 armor) ff 11 touch 9

STR   14
DEX   8
CON   14
INT   12
WIS   16
CHA   14

Initiative -1
Speed 30 feet

Fort/Ref/Will +4/-1/+5

Attacks

Scorpion Whip +2 (1d4+2, x2)
Rapier +2 (1d6+2, 18-20/x2)
Dart +2 (1d4+2, x2)

Feats Combat Casting, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip), Martial Weapon Proficiency (Rapier, Bonus)

Class Features: Aura, Channel Energy (Positive), Domains (War-Tactics, Water-Oceans), Orisons, Spells, Spontaneous Casting

Skills Diplomacy +6, Heal +7, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Sense Motive +7, Swim +7

Equipment Blue Book, Chocolate, Compass, Collapsible Bathtub, Everburning Torch, Fishing Net, Rosewood Armor, Silk Rope (50 feet), Soap

Spells 0: Create Water, Enhanced Diplomacy, Purify Food & Drink; 1st: Bless, Obscuring Mist, Open Spell Slot (takes 1 hour to fill)

Traits Birthmark (Faith), Touched by the Sea (Campaign)

Favored Class +1 Skill Point

Grizzly

We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

freeko

Katja Petric

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
F LE Human Paladin (Divine Hunter), Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/10, Speed 
AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1   
Composite Longbow +1 ("Misery") (Arrows) +4 (1d8+1, x3)
Free clothing Hot Weather Outfit (+0 Armor)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
Condition None
Special: Smite Good 1/1

Still a few things left to do I think, but I might just stick with the joke "armor" because the lels.

Tamhansen

@ Grizzly: yes this group is filled up. But once this game is underway, say a week or so, i'm going to try to recruit a second table.
ons and offs

RubySlippers

Are all the feats open if they are on the OGL online resources especially from the Advanced Players Guide and campaign setting sources?

Tamhansen

ons and offs

Tamhansen

Skynet: checked your character. Looked great. Exotic prof whip is technically not legal until BAB 1, but the rule of cool will trump that.
On to the next character.
ons and offs

Tamhansen

Blinkin: was the trait you were going after heirloom weapon, or ancestral weapon. From your description it seems you meant heirloom weapon this. But you wrote ancestral, which doesn't give proficiency that

Not that heirloom weapon covers exotic weapons, but as with skynet, rule of cool.

Sharkskin gloves are third party, so I'm going to say no to that.

Other than that, looks good
ons and offs

Grizzly

Quote from: Tamhansen on March 13, 2016, 06:36:27 AM
@ Grizzly: yes this group is filled up. But once this game is underway, say a week or so, i'm going to try to recruit a second table.

Cool.  I'll keep an eye out for an opening.  Have fun.  :)
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Blinkin

Yeah, I used the wrong one. But I thought that Heirloom Weapon didn't specify non-exotic weapons...

The sharkskin hurts! I love those things... Maybe you'll take a bribe? I mean a donation! Yeah, a donation! I have this lovely, authentic, first issue Torg blue and red Possibility Stone D20 that I'll part with... lol

I may drop the heirloom weapon and look for something else, but the whip is such a versatile item... but it won't help me when I try to find a prehensile whip though... *sighs* Maybe I'll go for bard at 2nd level...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tamhansen

As i said, you can use whip even though it's technically not correct. I love you to have it.

Heirloom weapon as written specifies simple or martial weapon, but that I don't really care about.

Yeah I specifically always say no 3rd party, because they either tend to be too powerful compared to paizo stuff, or fill niches not meant to be filled. And getting 2 +2 skill checks on an item costing 5 gold is a bit overpowered.

ons and offs

Blinkin

Ok, the gloves are gone. I'll wait and try to pick up a second class at 2nd or 3rd level that'll allow the whip... I really need the acrobatics advantage, so I picked up Crowd Dodger (Why do you really think he went to see? He hated crowds! lol(

Crowd Dodger gives a +2 to acrobatics to avoid AOO's moving into and out of threatened squares, which was what I was going to use it for anyway. The speed is not great, but hoping to adjust that at some point with magic... Would be nice if someone picked up haste at some point. ;)

Anyway, I'll make the changes in the post.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

mellowdude

Btw, Blinkin, if you could make Harlo an Elf, you could get 40 ft speed. Haste is a definite pick once it becomes available.

Anyway, sheet so far: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=747379

Man, I always forget how exhausting chargen is in d20 systems, but I like the granularity nonetheless.

Blinkin

I didn't know elves had that high of a movement... just 30 feet.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

mellowdude

I thought there was an alternate racial trait that let you do that. Sorry, I derped.

mellowdude

However, as a half elf, you can pick the Fey Magic alternate racial trait and use Longstrider once a day in a favored terrain (psst... I recommend Water :P) if you give up Keen Senses.

Blinkin

I hadn't considered an elf for the role, although it's something to consider. The ability scores wouldn't change overall... move the 2 points from int to con and the net effect is zip.

On the other hand, I'm wary of making significant changes to the character as he is at this late date and there is the wisdom bonus to the dual minded alternate trait, which allowed me to keep Wisdom at a 10 and focus more on what makes a Swashbuckler fun to play. His Fort is going to suck for the next several turns as it is.

The Fey option for the half-elf is an option though. His perception sucks anyway, so it wouldn't loose much and the long strider option would let him tumble at 20' a round instead of 15... My intention had been to eventually contract someone to enchant boots with Longstrider, but that's still an option... would they stack? A 25' tumble? ;)

Going off to look at the alternate cracial options.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Tamhansen

Mellowdude. Character looks great, just two remarks:

pragmatic advisor and precise healer are both magic traits. You can only have one of each category.

You're also short one language. You get to pick one more.
ons and offs

Tamhansen

Freeko, no remarks as to the character. Looks great.

Okay, just waiting for Ruby and Chula to hand in chars
ons and offs