[Interest Check] Bleach d20

Started by Jeramiahh, January 16, 2008, 05:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

When a person dies, but still has business with the world they've left behind, they become a ghost, wandering a world that cannot see or hear them, trying to resolve the problems they cannot put aside. But, what happens when they are left for too long, when the hatred, the loneliness in their hearts starts to eat away at their very being?

In this world, they become horrible, soul-devouring creatures called Hollows. To ease the pain in their rotted away hearts, Hollows hunt those they once loved, living and dead, to consume their souls. But that's not enough. When they are dead, they continue to hunt, preying on the souls of the living and dead alike. To combat these monsters, and to guide these lost spirits to the afterlife, a place known as Soul Society, a special group of spirits from the afterlife, called Shinigami, or Death Gods, return to the real world, to maintain the balance of life and death.

Armed with magic and powerful blades, they protect the living and the dead, unseen by those who still live. Well, most of them, anyway.

Some humans have the power to see the dead, to interact with them. Some even go one step further, gaining powerful abilities to fight these Hollows, that can, if left unchecked, kill countless people. The most organized group, the Quincy, use spirit-powered bows to slay these evil creatures, eradicating them entirely, while other humans acquire abilities, ranging across the spectrum of imagination.

This is the world setting of the manga/anime Bleach, a quite interesting, action-based anime, focused on a group of teenagers who can see these ghosts, and very quickly get caught up in the politics of the Shinigami, as their own powers appear.

Having watched the entire series over the last month, I am very interested in running a scenario, set in this world. However, as I am a fan of using rules, I quickly began to formulate ideas for how to bring their fighting style into Dungeons and Dragons. Thankfully, I didn't have to do much work myself, as there's an active project to create a Bleach d20 ruleset, found here. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38291

Direct link to rules: http://professor.fireandrobot.com/Bleach-D20-Rulebook-Compilation.doc

I don't recommend reading the whole thread, but if you're interested in the rules, there's a link to the document with them. So, here's my ideas:

1) A low-level, survival-horror style game. Players would start as ordinary humans, who can see ghosts, maybe with a little knowledge of Hollows, but never having seen them. No shinigami characters, right off the start. As the story continues, they develop powers, to combat these deadly spirit creatures, intent on devouring their souls. Did I mention that people with powers are extra-attractive to the monsters? This would be the most newbie-friendly game, as little or no knowledge of the setting would be required.

2) A mid level game, featuring a mix of humans and shinigami. More akin to the actual Bleach story, a small band of shingami are dispatched to an area of particularly high spirit concentration, eventually encountering humans with powers, as they fight ever increasingly powerful foes. Would likely travel to Soul Society and/or Hueco Mundo (The world of the Hollows, where the most powerful flee to, if injured), and would probably require some knowledge of the series, especially to play a shinigami.

3) A high level game, starting in Soul Society, and featuring almost exclusively shinigami, likely in very high positions, as high as Vice Captains. More dealing with the politics of Soul Society, a major threat to the balance of the worlds, and almost certainly featuring trips to the real world, and Hueco Mundo. Advanced players, both in the d20 system, and in knowledge of the anime, only.

This thread is mostly an interest check, to see who would be interested in the game at all, and, of those, who would be interested in which scenario. Unless I get overwhelming requests for more than one, I'll only run one of these. Also, any questions or comments would be appreciated!
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Muse

I'd be particularly intrested in the low level story, with the system, and the occasional hentai Hollow. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Brandon

Sounds interesting. Im a big bleach fan so yeah I think Ild like to give it a shot
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Cjac

*waves*  I think I have been convinced to try this too  The low level one for me, as I believe I have only seen one episode of Bleach.  Possibly two.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Jeramiahh

Well, that came quickly. =P Guess I shouldn't be surprised, anymore. I'll let this stay up for a day, before I make any big decisions on it, though.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

schnookums

Ooh pick me pick me...

Although I'd probably be most interested in the Low Level game idea personally.

Jefepato

I've only watched the first 40 or so episodes, so I don't think I could handle the high-level version.  I'd prefer the mid-level one but I'd be okay with either.

Jeramiahh

Looks like the general consensus is the low level version; I don't blame people... I doubt most people've seen the anime. =P Plus, the Hollows are definitely more interesting opponents than anything else.

In that case, then, Ill need to do a bit of work; the rules, as provided, cover creating shinigami and Quincy characters, but not spiritually powered humans... which is okay, since they're, essentially, shinigami with a few abilities to replace the ones that humans wouldn't be able to use.

In that case, I'd like players to post/PM ideas for their characters. At the start of this, no shinigami will be available; everyone will be human. Quincy are playable, though I'd *highly* recommend you have knowledge of the series, first.... up through the first major arc is sufficient, up through Ishida losing his powers would cover, essentially, all that needs to be known about the Qunicy. For non-Quincy, a description of what powers you'd like to have available is what I need from you, as well as whether you're a fighter-type, a skillful-type, or a spellcaster-type. These powers should be transparent when not in use; in the anime, the two characters used as examples keep their powers hidden in a set of hairpins, or summon a powerful armor around his arm. Powers should be easily scalable; the girl can create a shield, heal people, or launch a simple projectile attack, while the guy gains massive strength, armor, and a powerful projectile.

These are, of course, just examples; use the guidelines for creating a Zanpaktou in the rules to base your powers off of... I'll be using those rules, myself. Or, if you feel confident, create a shinigami character, and allow me to edit it, to be appropriate (I haven't decided all I'm going to do for them... remove shunpo, for one, replacing it with bonus feats.) This game will likely stay fairly low level; the heroes will start at 'less than 1', and will, effectively, have no stats for a while. Their first contact with Hollows will 'awaken' their powers, and grant them level 1. Quincy, of course, will already be level 1, since it's a trained ability, not inherent.

I know, there's a lot of gibberish jargon in here... it'll all make sense in time, I promise hope.

Cjac

*grins*  If anyone can do that it's you. 
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Muse

Should I play a gal, so a tentacly hollow can lemon her? 

or do you not mean to incorperate tentacly hollows? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jeramiahh

Well, given the place I'm running this, and the general suggestions I've heard, it sounds like, yes, I do intend to do naughty, naughty things. =P However, feel free to play whatever character you like; I can find ways to have fun. *grin*

Cjac

Quote from: Muse on January 17, 2008, 05:27:39 AM
Should I play a gal, so a tentacly hollow can lemon her? 

or do you not mean to incorperate tentacly hollows? 

*shakes head and grins*  You and your tentacled beasties!

MadPanda

an interesting idea, indeed.
:)

You're a brave, brave man, there, Jeremiahh!

(and my SD Yoroichi keychain charm agrees)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Jeramiahh

Still waiting on people to offer up characters... only had one person show they're working on it. Is it the rules scaring people off? For this low level game, I might even do away with them, entirely...

Cjac

I'm waiting to co=ordinate with Muse.  He helps me make my characters when they are system games.  (I don't really get the whole process)

Hunter

I'd prefer a mid-level game but I'm more familiar with the storyline.

That and I like killing stuff.

I'll let you know if I can ever get the page to load.

Jeramiahh

Ahh, yeah, didn't even *think* about that... the main site's being HAMMERED this month. I'll edit in a direct link to the file.

Hunter

How about we do it this way?   ;)  And yes, I'd rather have the mid-level game.

http://www.geocities.com/lightsenshi/Bleach-D20.doc

Jeramiahh

Well... dammit, I didn't want to run two, but if I get enough people pointed towards a mid-level on, I'd run that, too.

As it stands, I have no ideas submitted, so no game getting made, at this rate. =P

Hunter

I'll get a character to you tonight sometime.  What level,etc should be build to as a shinigami?

Jeramiahh

For a mid-level character? I was thinking 6's a good, balanced point, since the 'high' level would be 10.

Hunter

Jeramiahh

Err... gah, high powered anime characters, so let's do 32 point buy.

Gear will be assigned items, so don't worry about money.

Jefepato

Hm...I need to read through the rules more before deciding on a character.  Augmenters and Materializers don't seem to have HD or skills listed for the classes...

Also, is it just me, or do Quincys kinda suck compared to shinigami?

Serenity Vixen

That was the impression I got from the series, the one that starred in the show being a dramatic exception...
Quincy's vs. Shimigami I mean
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"