[Retry] Magic, fantasy, or transformtion? [Player looking for a game]

Started by Kaedia, February 13, 2014, 11:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaedia

Updated - 03/04/2014: The last plan fell through. That means the search is once again on. If you have anything feel free to post it.

Greetings~

So lately I've been sort of craving a new group game. There are tons on here... but I'm having a hard time finding one that fits my interests... and I can be a bit picky I must admit. So maybe a little help is in order? I'll divide this into three parts...

• What I am looking for~

The title gives a vague sense of what I'm looking for. I'm hoping to find a game out there either in the works or already in progress that has one or more of the following themes either actively or possibly.

The biggest theme I'm looking for is transformation. Namely physical transformation. I prefer said transformation not to be in control of the player being transformed but that's not a requirement. Not a lot to say here really. People who talk with me know I love anything to do with transformation. The only things I dislike are giantess and extreme age growth. Everything else makes me giddy.

Number two on my list is magic. I'm a sucker for anything magical. Magic in any sense. Magic is.. well... magical. An instant love is any game where I can play a character who dabbles in shadow magic. Magic, in my book, could be anything from as the name says to things like alchemy or high science that seems almost like magic.

Last on my list of themes is fantasy. High or low fantasy is perfect in my book. Magical schools, taverns, dragons, spells and swords, amulets, Gods and deities, the list could go on and on. I love almost everything to do with the hyper-fantasy genres. I even love things that deal with modern day with a magical twist. Magic is.. well... magical.

Other themes I would be willing to consider is anything that has an anime feel to it or something I just really love. I've been going through a body swap and magical girl kick so both those are on my list of want.

• The ideal group game~

This is where I get picky. I like detailed games. Like games with each player doing at minimal 2+ paragraphs. On top of that I can't enjoy super fast games or games with a lot of players. Super fast, as defined by me, is a game that requires one or more posts per day minimal. A lot of players, as defined by me, is a game that has more than five to seven total players. So what I'm looking for is a game, ideally, that you post into once every other day and has less than seven players. I'm more comfortable with four but since I'm not looking to GM at the moment due to college I'm not going to be super picky on the number of players if the group looks fun.

• Anything else?

I'm willing to help plan out a game should someone come up who shares similar interests with me. Just know at this moment in time I can't GM. College is busting my back at the moment and I can't take the mental stress of controlling a game. Helping build it... that's a different story.

I might also have a friend who will join in if the game fits her interests. Not a requirement but it's a possibility.

If you want an idea of what I write like or some of my ideas feel free to check out the links in my signature.

Have I been unclear? Want to know a little more about me? Ask and I'll answer. You can either post here or PM me. I'm usually pretty quick to reply in the afternoon hours. If you happen to know a game that is currently running that fits one of my desired themes please let me know, (^_^). If you would like to GM a game of that theme and need someone to help with the idea-crafting then I'm here for that too! I just need something fresh to take my mind away to a land of fun and sun.

Sorry if I've been overly vague. It's been a long day and I wanted to get this out before I pushed it off any longer.

~Zefie
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.
◄ The mark is a part of me, but it does not define me ►

Cessali

This is a general theme that would distinctly interest me as well.  I similarly don't have the time to take up full-time GMing for this thing, either, but would do my best to help plan/prep things as needed.

Roxy Rocket

Zefster,

Three questions here:

How set are you on the anime feel?

Is a system good, bad or a deal breaker for you?

What parts of magical girl stories do ya find especially neat?

Kaedia

• How set are you on the anime feel?
Low to moderate. It's not something that is a strong requirement. It would be interesting but I could do without the anime feel and still find the game absolutely fun.

• Is a system good, bad or a deal breaker for you?
Depends on the system. Normally I dislike heavy, intrusive systems that revolve around a lot of dice. I make exceptions though. If I really like the concept of the system, the person hosting the story, or just the general story I can get over my dislike for a heavy system. In general my preferred route is a rules lite system or no system at all.

• What parts of magical girl stories do ya find especially neat?
I can answer this in layers. What would top my list is the transformation they undergo. Given my preferences I guess that is easy to guess, (>_>). Beyond that though I enjoy the magical battles, the fanciful costumes, the rivalries between the other girls, and the struggle to find balance in their life since outside of being a magical girl isn't the only element of their existence. Then depending on the story the questioning that sets in on whose fight is right and if they are truly fighting on the just side.   
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.

VonDoom

While I fear my work schedule also leave me a tad too thin-spread to mastermind any group games myself, this does sound pretty interesting! If a good ST/DM/GM comes along, I'll see about writing up a character proposal for this game, if you'll have me. Transformation is great -- and the various themes and requests in the opening sound like I'd enjoy a game based on them quite a bit.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Rune

I might be interested once you have a more detailed setting or storyline.

Kaedia

Glad to see people with similar interesting poking in, (^_^). Hopefully someone who likes to host this kind of setting and has time to host will show up! Once we have that I believe we have a big enough showing of interest to get something going.

I'm also not picking out a detailed storyline/setting yet due to that I'm not looking to GM this setting. I figure if someone who can GM shows up they'd rather run with their own idea than try to pick up the idea of someone else. At least I know if I was in that position I would. So I've left the setting intentionally vague to give an idea of what would most be enjoyed to help either find a game already in progress or to let a potential GM see interest is there.

Should any potential GMs show up; I'm willing to help Co-GM as needed.
My Status:
Open.

Roxy Rocket

Alright. I'll throw my hat in the ring, hind bits in the fire, neck into the neck-unfriendly social upheaval apparatus.

(I'd wanna borrow some things from the FATE system for structure. Mainly it's about building a character out of phrases instead of numbers.)

Trying to keep these ultra short so no one drowns in the usual Roxy Flavored Avalanche. Failed at keeping these short. Leaning towards The Coil m'self, but I'm just brainstorming after all.

Go from the modern... to the less modern.

terrible ideas are terrible

AribethAmkiir

Some awesome ideas here.  I think I'd be interested in playing any of them.

Roxy Rocket

snip

Kaedia

Epoch of Angels was going to be one the ones I suggested flushing out a bit more so yay. If I was voting on a third to flush out I'd say Better Late than Dead. I'm not picky though. All the idea look interesting so I'm sure any of them will look great once fluffed up and pitched, (^_^).
My Status:
Open.

AribethAmkiir

Well, this isn't my request thread, but if I had to vote on the top 3 I believe I'd agree with Epoch of Angels, Exalted: Magical Girls, and Dresden Files. 

Honestly, though, I'd play any of them.  I like Better Late than Dead, too.  The Coil is probably the one that makes me most apprehensive, but I'd still apply to it.   ;D

Cessali

My highest interest would be towards go with the Coil project, but the other three you've mentioned would also all be solid.  I like a bit of pliability in my pretendy-fun-time realities.

Do something you love; if you're running it you might as well enjoy the concept behind it, sez I.  :D

Roxy Rocket

snip

Roxy Rocket

snip

AribethAmkiir

Awesome!!!  *controls her giddy self*

Should this go full blown Magical Girls (only) in Steampunk Land?  Yes?  It doesn't matter to me... it is sometimes nice to have boys around too.

Should the tech level be downgraded to high fantasy? (And look even more like final fantasy nine than it probably will already.)  No?  Does it need to be?  Is there something wrong with it looking like FF9?

How monstrous or strange or obviously magical ought the action forms of be? Will there be negative side effects for having obvious action forms?  I kind of want an angel form *shrugs*  I think something obviously magical would be fun.

What should the overwhelming genre be? (Horror, Pulp, Noir, etc)  All of the above!?   ::)   I don't know, this one's too hard.  I'll let someone else answer it.   ;D

What elements of reality should be emphasized? (Race relations, nationalism, revolutionary politics, environmentalism.)  Is awesomeness an element of reality?  Cuz, that's my answer.  Though, since we're supposed to be hippies, I guess any and all would work as well.  I'm easy.   shhhh, don't tell anyone.   ;)

Kaedia

Should this go full blown Magical Girls (only) in Steampunk Land?

• I wouldn't say it's necessary to make it Magical Girls only... unless maybe the males who are influenced by the magic undergo a transition as the story progresses to make them into Magical Girls? Like a side effect of the magical influence... or something. Just a thought.

All in all I have no problem with male characters.

Should the tech level be downgraded to high fantasy?

• I say no way! I love the steampunk feel. I like the tech where it is at, (^_^).

How monstrous or strange or obviously magical ought the action forms of  be?

• Yes. I think the action forms should stand out. Be it outright strange, overly monstrous, or simply magical.

What should the overwhelming genre be? (Horror, Pulp, Noir, etc)

• Probably the toughest question. Noir would be interesting... but I don't know what genre I would vote the best for the overall theme.

What elements of reality should be emphasized?

• Race and social relations would be a good area to cover. Revolutionary and politics as a whole would be another great area. The thing I want to see the most is the rift that is stirring between the people.

My Status:
Open.

Roxy Rocket

snip

AribethAmkiir

Do we want to limit gore or language? 

While I don't want to see every other word out of a character's mouth be an f-bomb, I don't think either of these need to be limited.  Also, totally expecting someone's leg to evaporate now.  Cha!

Are there technologies people want to suggest including (or veto?)

Nothing that isn't already vetoed by the Steampunk genre.  I like the idea of sticking a big list together.  And now I expect to see the black-evil-bad-guy-skyship running on internal combustion cause the accident that causes the crash that causes the characters to find that special something that causes them to become magical.  Believe it!    :P

Are there culture objects people want to include?
We have to have pizza - I'm just saying.  Oh, and chocolate.  Chocolate is a must.  Oh!  And revolver-sniper guns...  8-)

Can we just say characters have to be human?   No, vampire-werewolf hybrid, demon cursed, elven-blooded, warrior-princess, loner, vampire-killer characters.   Actually, can we just have no complete "I will not talk to anyone because REASONS" characters?

Does anyone have story points they want to suggest or veto?
Awesomeness!  What?  It totally counts as a story point.   umm...  Monsters!  There should be no regret for killing monsters.  I don't want to get a letter from some monster's rights activists.  Also, no princesses/princes in disguise...

Dibs for my character model - this

Roxy Rocket

snip

Kaedia

Do we want to limit gore or language?

Personally I would rather go without a limit on either. However I do, at the same time, understand some players dislike excessive profanity. So if a limit does need to be put on for other players to enjoy the game I'm not going to get all fist-waving angry.

Are there technologies people want to suggest including (or veto?)

One of my biggest loves of the steam-punk style is anything and everything clockwork. I would love some clockwork technology and maybe even architecture. I believe clockwork robots are like my favorite thing ever. Not the talky-thinky kind of robots but the move, lift, drop, prance kind of robots.

I should note I'm running on two hours sleep so my replies may be subject to spontaneous combustion.

Culture objects... culture objects... my brain is too fried to think of anything.

Character concepts people want to suggest or veto?

I don't have anything I'd want to veto. Personally I love demons and things that revolve around them, :P.

Does anyone have story points they want to suggest or veto?

For this question I think... is that a bed over there? I'm going to investigate. For science.
My Status:
Open.

Roxy Rocket

Bed, where sheep counting clockwork robots shall be dreamed of.

*salutes*

Guess I get to work out a flavor intro and some imaginary cities that are vaguely european. Anyone think of good stuff they better suggest it. I gonna call the first one We Need A Name Burg.

Cessali

I am interested in this proposition and wish to subscribe to the newsletter.

Because the cool kids are doing thoughts on it....

On the notion of the Girls Only Club, I don't have solid preferences; the first character ideas I kicked around while I was reading up on the setting were male, but I would be good with a surprise "by the way when you work magic you become a lady" twist on that.

The technology level will work for me either way.  I do like the aesthetics of FF9.  The major thought I have is questions on how easy it will be to get around in this brave new world; the more mobility a population has, and the more mobility an economy requires, the faster trade of Stuff and Ideas occurs.  Good for optimistic youths, not so good for people who want to stay in control of the social fabric.

The action forms, I think, should start off noticeable, and get weirder as a user gets stronger-- possibly fueled and directed by a person's steps psychological and physical steps away from rote humanity.

I tend to prefer my genre to be a relatively optimistic pulpy hero-y kind of thing-- they're easiest to do, easiest to maintain-- but I'm no stranger to (and have often enjoyed) unveiling existential dread, or idle, wandering internal monologues about the terrible consequences of decisions made long ago.

On what reality elements ought be thought of, a lot of steampunky settings either ignore or downplay the not-so-quaint Orientalism of industrial culture that have the military might to crush non-industrialized opposition.  It doesn't look like there's been much in the way of total, consuming wars in the past few generations (especially if the rise of the Mist has made military operations suddenly -tremendously- dubious) but a culture that gains military power and has a reason to use it usually finds an excuse to do so., and if they can't hurt somebody they hate with it, they'll use it on somebody they can exploit... which is something characters may well be inclined to stop.  I'd also like to know there are at least other lands beyond the nations of our collective births, even if those other lands amount in common knowledge to a squiggly shape on the map with 'here be dragons' in the center of it.

Gore and language are like ginger.  A bit of it can emphasize the flavors already extant; too much and all you end up tasting is the ginger.  I'm not against foul language or unusually descriptive violence, but characters will react accordingly.

Interesting technologies potentially worth including include telephone-like things in major cities in the houses of the Wealthy, scratchy phonograph players wound by cranks, steam-powered clockwork automata powering essential city functions, the germ theory of illness and a handful of folks experimenting with the newfangled notion of vaccination...

Aesthetic anachronisms are things we can put in as we go, because aesthetics.  You can't have a magical girl series without some form of cake involved.

My only real request on PC character bans is that they at least be decent people.  At least to start, before any induced insanity drives them over the edge into Crazy Towne.  Assholes in the rest of the world are to be expected.

Story points that interest me include the question of what exactly the Mist is aside from the herald of magic's reawakening.  I like my monsters good and guilt-free in flavors between horrid little goblin to evil violent orc to that-could-have-been-me Deep One to Horrifying Shoggoth Terror; sapient, non-violent mutants should at least be easy to identify, and if they constitute a significant minority of the population, how they relate to the non-mutant population (and are to be exploited by those In Charge).

Vanetias

I'm interested. Could I play as a head scientist of an govt organization, that has recently invented a 'transformation bracelet' that lets him transform into anything he desires? ;)

Roxy Rocket

snip

Cessali

If we want more than the three or four who've expressed interest thus far, a new thread would be merited.

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on February 20, 2014, 01:18:26 PM
Got something developing on my end that might mean I gotta drop this and I'll update this evening hopefully.

False alarm. Death to phonetag.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Sorry Vanny but I think it's going to be a bit more serious than that.

Unless that is humor, in which case I have failed to recognize that.

Jatick...

I think the girl's only club option is out at this point.

Mobility isn't such a big deal. Think of it like islands. The alternative of just walking along the world below is like saying you're going to commute using back roads where bum raping banjo savants dwell. At least that's my guess.

My guess about why there wouldn't be much Imperialism is two things: One, no new world means no explosion in resources to fuel the take over, two, city states are just smaller and less effective at it than... what, nation states, just states? I never took a lot of poli sci classes so whatevs dawg. (yeah, all the advancements make less sense without those resources but... I'm dumb?)

That said, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by orientalism. If it's that whole "they're wise yet inferior" attitude... not exactly against that. Especially because it ought to be true to a degree. Foreign traders from a China analog where hot air ballooning is supported by a greek fire formula, that korean rocket salvo machines and so on might be a neat sideways lurch at some point.

I think Wars have been going on just fine. The idea of a total war, A Great War, is a theme I think would be cool to hint at, but should be a generation (or four) away. The last thirty or forty years would be the exception, which means if a war comes again (something the powers that be believe to be normal) it could be that much worse because of the jump in technology, in availible resources and optimism.

I expect maps are fairly good, even knowledge of other lands in a vague sense. The World Below isn't all mist covered badness around the city states. It's probably a bit more mysterious behind the mist, a mix of humans left behind, of the deep dark woods with monsters, of industrial projects the city states maintain and the wreckage of the castles and kings past. It might be interesting for them not to know how long it has been since that world fell apart, especially since the greater threat is supposed to be the supernatural and creatures made (or made stronger) by the mist.

Anachronisms / Tech: One of the reasons it's more appealing to set it in more of an 1800-1900 feel is sanitation and more recognizable ways of living. Hygiene. Theme of Progress. Suits with vests.

Steam Flavored Robots: Uhh I have no idea. We've got two people on board with that so far. Strange, giant clockwork machines pulling water up to the city or brass, steam spewing crane arms being used to load cargo probably isn't a game changer, but full blown robots... I dunno. It'll probably go on the big list of things to work when it comes to technology. If nothing else they can be a wonder: One of the cities has a clockwork guard force left to it by the inventor genius Blanky Blankerson a hundred-something years ago. We'll see where the group feels they be on dis.

Insanity or inhumanity shouldn't be a problem. I think looking monstrous and having far bigger effects than they realize might be enough without any players becoming unrelatable.

The Mist turns up because people "burned" magic stone for reasons, though what that means has been lost it probably means they were trying to turn lead into gold or make winter look like summer. It's fallout. It's wacky cause it's spread out inconsistantly: a low cloud layer here, a hazy mound over the plains there, ignores this valley but encircles that mountain top. There might be revelations about how people burned magic stone or what really lurks in the abandoned places, but there won't be an "aha" moment. It's a plot device thingy, like zombies.

Likewise, Supernatural Evil is never going to articulate it's demands or have single parent issues. It doesn't have a name. It doesn't have a real agenda. The Grand Duke of YoMommasBurg might be trying to write himself large in history, but the thousand-hands demon that pretends to be a unspeaking man in a big coat is just exists to bring wreck and ruin. It's good at it too, just like a spider is spooky good at making webs, but it ain't anything like a person.

Aaand I can't think of anything else just now.

Do we want a new thread for the big game proposal?

Yay!   I was kind of worried.

New thread works.  I think one of Zefie's conditions for a group game, though, is only like 4-5 players.  No more than 7, iirc.

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on February 21, 2014, 12:35:59 AM
Yay!   I was kind of worried.

New thread works.  I think one of Zefie's conditions for a group game, though, is only like 4-5 players.  No more than 7, iirc.

I'd be thinking no more than three or four per group, because bystander syndrome.

Kaedia

Long weekend finally over! So where were we?

Yeah. I'd like to keep it small if possible. Since I'm not GMing I'm not going to be super picky about how big it gets but I like what Roxy said; three to four per group.
My Status:
Open.

Cessali

Then based on the people responding in the thread, we've got enough for one group; if we open a new thread, we'd be doing so to create the core of a new group.

If we're good with we three/four ourselves, then we probably can go with the thread as-is.

Roxy Rocket

Sorry for tuning out the last few days, been molesting the books (or whatever the expression is.)

Will post something like an ad either here or as a thread soonish, cause tired and need eye-rest.

Eye rest and foot warmth.

Murr.

AribethAmkiir

No problem, Roxy.  Get some rest and whatever else you need.

Also, be careful with those books... they may get you back.

Roxy Rocket

snip

AribethAmkiir

So just 2 threads?  A story thread and a character thread?  I think I may miss an OOC thread.... but I guess we don't need it.

Got confused, the characters are or are not going to turn into monsters?  Or are they just going to turn into "sexy" monsters?

I think I played a FATE game last year, but how familiar are we going to need to be with it?  Fudge dice and phrases seems pretty simple.  Will you be willing to walk us through character creation?

What do you need from us, besides pictures?

Roxy Rocket

snip

Vercile

Hello yes, ahem, is it too late to put in my interest?
I've a Fantasy Character's journey I wish to begin and this sounds quite fun.

Roxy Rocket

I'd say just throw it out there. I'll start moving my cheeks to fix up the game concept.

Kaedia

You've blown me away. Great job on fleshing the idea out. It makes my last attempt to build up a game look like child's play... with less creepy killer dolls.

Okay! So I'm full on board. I'll be honest and say I know absolutely nothing about the FATE system at all. I've heard the name a couple times and that is my entire experience with the system. Not inspiring I know.

The only problem I've come into is trying to nail down what kind of character I want to play. Oh I'll get something figured out. Might go quizzing a few individuals for inspiration. Never know when the right phrase will trigger a grand idea. At the moment I'm thinking something rogue-ish. Subject to change when I start plotting her out.
My Status:
Open.

AribethAmkiir

I think I'll be playing a "rock opera" star.   We have that, right?

Roxy Rocket

snip

Cessali

Everybody loves character sheets!  I give you Alvero Carretero Portocarrero, daydreaming coal-driving engine laborer.

Before the Terrible Accident... (Background)

Alvero is a good kid, they say.  He works a dirty, dangerous job keeping the steam engines running with a strong back and a tolerance for hard work.  Most of his money goes to support his little siblings, supplementing the meager wages they draw working in the factories with his father long dead and his mother wasting away in a sanitarium of black tar lung.  And he only drinks and gambles when he's got a surplus, which is not that often.

This is not the life Alvero wanted.  When he has idle moments, he reads.  He dreams of being a different person, of having the money to take the tests that would certify him in the Engineering Guilds as a proper machinist and designer.  Maybe someday, he thinks, he'll find the right man to take him up as a protegé.  Maybe someday, his mother will be well and can work to care for the family again.  Maybe someday, he'll find a girl who won't look through him, someone worth caring for who'll care for him back.  Maybe someday, the Divine will work a miracle and surprise him with something even beyond what he'd dreamed.

Maybe someday.  It helps distract him from the toils of living, and so, he continues to dream, regardless of what other people think of it.
Character Sheetz

Skillz
+3: Endurance
+2: Athletics, Might
+1: Engineering, Fists, Gambling

Aspects
Right Now:
Character:
Big as an ox!
Not a Fool, Just Looks the Part
Beware the Wrath of a Patient Man
Equipment:
Heavy leather work clothes
Large blunted coal shovel
Book of fairy tales

Roxy Rocket

snip

Cessali

A request for revision that goes for more than "This isn't what I'm looking for"?  Be still, my beating heart!  It's always easier for me to make it bigger, so:

You're right, the Aspects could a rejiggering.  The getup serves two purposes: one, it's there to keep him protected from the heat and the work of the job, and two, it pinpoints him as Lower Class Laborer, but the name could be more expressive to suggest that.

Why Socially Downtrodden?  Because it forces him into a certain sort of position and role that he's not comfortable with, but hasn't of yet been uncomfortable enough because he still believes he can get everything he wants from where he is without giving anything up.  The movie audience is likely to see him as a supporting cast member or Quirky Sidekick there to help move things along-- wry, resigned sense of humor, quietly confident, helps other people bridge the gap between themselves and their desires, and that's what he does because that's what you're supposed to do.  That's the way you're supposed to live that's gets you everything you want and love and need, so he does it.  It's very rational, despite the groundless nature of the premises on which he is basing it.

He's put a lot of years into believing that story.  It's been hard work.  When that story finally fails him-- not if, but when-- is the crisis and explosion point where the audience gets to see the wrath of a gentle man and re-evaluate what has come before.  He's not there yet, but he can see the edge in the corner of his eye when he forgets to be busy.

Why the Divine?  In his words: "Oh, come on.  The Pantheons aren't anything more a bunch of children's fables and fairy stories for a people who didn't know any better about the world.  If the gods were real, wouldn't we have actual evidence about their existence?  And the things of the Mist don't count either. The Nameless Divine Maker, who set the Clockwork World in motion and let us do what we will to reach them again?  That's a mature faith for grown folks."

(why yes he does have contradictory beliefs about how the world works, why do you ask)

He's ready to start falling.  He just needs a push, which will begin with an airship crash in dangerous territory.  The main question is the one as to how he falls-- the revelation that what he thinks he wants is not what he truly desires, the realization that he can be a doormat all day and people will never think of him otherwise, the betrayal of his skill set being completely incompatible with the pursuit of his desires, the adoption of a cause and a passion beyond his half-thought-through desires of 'be the jolly folktale hero, win the kingdom'.

He's there to break, and be remade anew.

Roxy Rocket

snip

Roxy Rocket

Oh, and don't forget to scream at me about the lack of setting information.

grumble grumble getting to that

AribethAmkiir

Roxy Rocket

I kinda wanna have the game figured out before we start putting up threads in another section.

AribethAmkiir

Okay.  I just feel slightly uncomfortable brainstorming when people not involved in the game can come by, analyze, criticize, and comment about it.

That said, here's my idea:

[No name yet], a young, up-and-coming jazz and Cabaret singer.  She's young, but not naive.  She's a talent that's being exploited and she knows it.  She just doesn't know what to do about it.  Who is she being exploited by?  Some big named company who recently decided to branch into entertainment.  Ms. Imasinger is one of a small handful of rising stars this company has created.  According to the company, she's nothing special, "a pretty face with a powerful voice", and "there are a dozen girls just like her just waiting for her to do something stupid so they can take her place". 

Seen that?  Done that?  Why would the audience be interested?

She's smart.  Not the smart you'd associate with inventors or mad scientists.  The smart where she's slowly learned the inner workings of showbiz.  She knows what it takes to put on a show from advertizing to managing the lights.  How's she done that?  By being nice to the "little people", befriending them, and being genuinely interested in what they do.  What else?  Well, she's genuinely talented.  Not just a singer but capable of acting and playing several instruments and she has a vision - Rock Opera! (a bridging of jazz and rock)  "The next big thing" in musical entertainment.  Think loud awesome music, with flashing lights, and clockwork backup dancers.  Chicago Cabaret meets Las Vegas, or something.

schnookums

Umm...I know I'm coming late to the game, but this actually is looking like a fantastic game idea. Is there space for one more?

Roxy Rocket

Haruuuum.

From the look of things, the rp might not get off the ground. I didn't really understand the wanting of an ooc thread at this point, because I didn't really understand the preference for a narrower audience. Maaaaybe that means someone less doltish than me shoud be running the show. Zefis hasn't posted in here in a bit and she didn't have a character nailed down.

And I might have derailed the intention of the game by wanting to get horror-ee with it instead of sexy catgirls and tentacles or something.

I'd give it until at least Monday to see where things are but... doubting things just now. We'll see what happens.

AribethAmkiir

Please don't drop the game simply because our communication broke down.   :-(

Cessali

I had another idea take me but have been verrahbusy.  Something should be up by end of Monday.

Aribeth, the idea looks good; every gang of pulp-like heroes should have someone savvy among them and musician concepts tend to be pretty entertaining in general.

Kaedia

I'm still present. I've been trying to come up with a character idea that really kicks off my imaginative juices but I've been at odds end. My attempts at outside inspiration has been a flop. I'm still thinking something on the rogue end of the spectrum. Perhaps with a knack for inventions with a morally grey philosophy on life. A Robin Hood but with much less giving and a lot more keeping. Or she could be more of a social butterfly; someone who does her deeds not with sleight of hand but through a silver tongue.

If anyone has any ideas they'd like to toss my way I'm ears... or eyes... for it.
My Status:
Open.

Roxy Rocket

At this point I'm going to withdraw. That's a bit lousy of me after offering to run a game. My reasons are that I'm not getting the feedback and input I was hoping for, I don't feel comfortable being perscriptive considering it's not my thread to begin with, and I've definitely wandered from the original request.

Sorry to do this to you folks, but I'd rather say it now and be definite.

Kaedia

It's alright. Things happen and not everything works out. At least you tried!

That does mean the thread is back open to other ideas if anyone has one to share.
My Status:
Open.

Vanetias