Kill The Bad Guy, Rescue The Girl, Save The World... Pathfinder Interest Check

Started by Blinkin, August 05, 2017, 12:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Ixy on August 08, 2017, 09:17:13 AM
ChaoticSky: are you going with the brawler idea? Would he or she be familiar around the tavern(s), or were you thinking a non local? And ESG, I'm not sure how my character could have met a sorceress unless they crossed paths on a prior adventure, but my character would be curious about anything that stands out above the norm

The one thing that might draw is she looks like a farm girl, in how she dresses.   Not the usual flashy type for a sorceress that usually means a temptress.   So that she is looking for adventure might have her stand out if noticed.  In essences her charisma is not a exotic beauty, but overall general presence of both looks and personality. 
In other words she should be chasing chickens, fixing dinners,  making babies.  Not the usual adventuring type.   Plus I envisioning her not above getting into scraps (non lethal) in the inns.   Not a dainty flower.   

Now as mentioned on sheet,  she will go the route of wearing just a loincloth in hot humid regions.   Her long hair and clothing just doesn't go with such climate.   

Blinkin

Just a loincloth? That could leave some embarrassing sunburns and more than a few glares from the local constable. ;)

As long as the character has a climate appropriate outfit, ya'll can wear whatever you want; but the more skin shows, the more attention they'll get from ... ummm.. admiring personages.

Another note, the game will not include non-con unless someone expressesly wants it and that will be dealt with in a side thread. But, situations of attempted courtship, seduction and underhanded magic use... charm comes to mind... may be attempted. However, in these instances, such attempts effectiveness would be up to the player, not a save.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ixy

Thanks for that, Blinkin... Definitely not my preference to have outright assault nc in a story, but I like that the option for coercion and manipulation is there if we think it does suit the moment.

ESG: since my character has little to offer in the way of farming or the like, she may have sought to barter with yours at some point? Trading a roof repair for some food and goods, mending hinge or door for a meal here or there?  She'd have come across as shy, curious, perhaps a bit of a drinker, a teller of awkwardly inappropriate jokes, but definitely fair in trade.

Endwell

I will be blunt in saying after reading both the story-line and the detail I am very interested. However, I am new to this style of RP involving stats on a forum. Very quick learner but the concept escapes me simply due to inexperience. Should someone be willing to break it down to me in laments terms I'm certain I'll understand and would happily apply. I'm more than capable of meeting the posting deadlines and actually bookmarked this thread prior to being accepted. If you'd rather not expend the effort to do so I will understand, no hard feelings at all.
Take off your clothes
Give me your trust
Look me in the eyes
Confess your lust
I promise I'll love you if you do it
So do it for me...

Blinkin

Welcome Endwell.

The system isn't difficult to learn, although it may be intimidating at first sight. Essencially, there are 6 attributes that frame the physical and mental characteristics of a character. These stats are used to define what a character can do and how well, or badly he/she can do them. Most of the results are determined randomly with a D20, or a 20 sided die to add randomness to events. For example, if you wanted to sneak across an empty street, you would roll a D20 and add that result to whatever your skill total is for "stealth." and I would compare that total to a difficulty number that I have set for the task. Difficulty number is the term I use because I learned the basics under a different system, I think PF calls it a challenge rating. If the result exceeds my number, you succeed and by how much may determine how well the feat is made.

I'm sure that any and/or all of us would be happy to walk you through the process of generating a character sheet and the best way to learn it is to play it. We'll help you out along the way. :)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

indarkestknight

Alright, so the character I'm tinkering with for this is actually a shirtless hunk with abs of steel. Inspired very much by this picture.

Visual description of the image for Blinkin
A shirtless male muscled human warrior wears a handful of scars across his torso and one across his brow, a confident, jaunty smile, a beard, not wild but mature, arms wrapped with strips of leather, a leather kilt and a longsword at his hips. Slung over his shoulder is a large axe. He appears to be marching along with a troupe of goblins, one of whom looks up to the human warrior with awe, visibly enthralled. It's art from a Magic: the Gathering card entitled 'Enthralling Victor'. Not quite the same vibe as, say, Conan, but he'd fit right in a cast with him and Red Sonya.

Rough backstory: an ex-gladiator who won his freedom after either selling himself into indentured servitude to save his family from debt or being "rescued" by pirates and subsequently sold into slavery after being shipwrecked on an uninhabited island. Uses his charm as much as his swordarm. Some of the abilities of the Dashing Thief Swashbuckler archetype look like they'd be fun to play with... but even just going with an unarmored build is suboptimal and at this rate I'm concerned he'll end up being dead weight, especially since he'll only be regaining panache on critical hits and not killing blows (because I don't really envision him stealing from opponents that often midfight)... If I did use this, I might combine it with the Warlord Fighter archetype. I could dip into Scaled Fist or Oracle instead if I really wanted to get Cha to AC in one level instead of three, but that just seems cheesey when Warlord or the Sword Devil Ranger archetype seems like a better fit.

Input from anyone, especially from the GM, appreciated!

Endwell

Looking for someone around 8PM EST to assist me with the things I can't quite figure out about the character sheet. I can download whatever messenger app needed. :(
Take off your clothes
Give me your trust
Look me in the eyes
Confess your lust
I promise I'll love you if you do it
So do it for me...

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Endwell on August 08, 2017, 11:32:51 PM
Looking for someone around 8PM EST to assist me with the things I can't quite figure out about the character sheet. I can download whatever messenger app needed. :(

Here this should help you.  Pathfinder

I'll try to answer questions tomorrow when get home from work.   Uggh work I hate going back after vacation.

Blinkin

Quote from: indarkestknight on August 08, 2017, 08:36:56 PM
Alright, so the character I'm tinkering with for this is actually a shirtless hunk with abs of steel. Inspired very much by this picture.

A shirtless male muscled human warrior wears a handful of scars across his torso and one across his brow, a confident, jaunty smile, a beard, not wild but mature, arms wrapped with strips of leather, a leather kilt and a longsword at his hips. Slung over his shoulder is a large axe. He appears to be marching along with a troupe of goblins, one of whom looks up to the human warrior with awe, visibly enthralled. It's art from a Magic: the Gathering card entitled 'Enthralling Victor'. Not quite the same vibe as, say, Conan, but he'd fit right in a cast with him and Red Sonya.

Rough backstory: an ex-gladiator who won his freedom after either selling himself into indentured servitude to save his family from debt or being "rescued" by pirates and subsequently sold into slavery after being shipwrecked on an uninhabited island. Uses his charm as much as his swordarm. Some of the abilities of the Dashing Thief Swashbuckler archetype look like they'd be fun to play with... but even just going with an unarmored build is suboptimal and at this rate I'm concerned he'll end up being dead weight, especially since he'll only be regaining panache on critical hits and not killing blows (because I don't really envision him stealing from opponents that often midfight)... If I did use this, I might combine it with the Warlord Fighter archetype. I could dip into Scaled Fist or Oracle instead if I really wanted to get Cha to AC in one level instead of three, but that just seems cheesey when Warlord or the Sword Devil Ranger archetype seems like a better fit.

If you're concerned about crits, you may want to look at the inspired blade archetype. It grants extra panache via the Int mod and at 5th, you get improved crit as a bonus feat. Even though it's almost requires a rapier, that gives you a 15+ crit range. I've never had any trouble recovering or maintaining panache at that point.

You'll have to figure out how to get your AC up, but with a dex based character and the nimble class feature and an enchanted buckler, it shouldn't be too bad. Damage is nice with a +5 in precision damage. If you take Fencer's grace, and all the prerequq's are right there as automatic class features, that jumps to +9 base at 5th level, perhaps a couple more depending on what feats you take. Use acrobatics to move about and you're actually damn hard to hit.

Just my thoughts.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ixy

Quote from: indarkestknight on August 08, 2017, 08:36:56 PM

I personally favor the backstory with a little darkness and family loyalty.  If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have a connection through my character's adoptive father, if yours has been free for more than a few years, or if his freedom was recent then perhaps they had a brush upon his emancipation.

Blinkin

I want to remind everyone that I do not want characters who have issues associating, interacting or dealing with others. Anti-social tendencies, stand-offishness or superiority complexes will not work in this game and will actively act against the group as a whole. So, if intimidation is your primary mode of dealing with others, or if you are playing someone intolerant of other races/cultures, etc... rethink that character.

This is not directed at anyone in particular and may not be necessary; I'm just trying to head it off at the pass, so to speak.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Snake

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Ixy on August 08, 2017, 09:17:13 AMChaoticSky: are you going with the brawler idea? Would he or she be familiar around the tavern(s), or were you thinking a non local?
Alas, my character will be decidedly nonlocal.

Quote from: Endwell on August 08, 2017, 11:32:51 PM
Would be happy to help, get Discord, its the best chat thingy anyway. You can also run it online from their site without installing anything if you prefer. PM me your name thingy.

Also, in general (and more specifically @Blinkin, our lord and master); While i do like the Brawler very much we got a Fighter already so rather than double up on the slope-browed melee wrecking ball parade, i decided to take a side route and make a paladin instead.

A paladin of Cayden. God of booze and adventure!

And theres a archtype i can use for unarmed damage progression. Because its uncivil to pull a blade in a tavern brawl.  ;D

euanthe

Hi!

Definitely interested in joining in this. I'll pull together some thoughts for a character directly...

Yours,

euanthe

ChaoticSky

Snake

you mean Paladins have a bigger stick crammed up their asses? Yeah yeah I agree with that :p

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Snake on August 09, 2017, 05:37:53 PM
you mean Paladins have a bigger stick crammed up their asses? Yeah yeah I agree with that :p
Only if you play them stupid.

As a follower of Cayden, the only stick in my possession is the one i have for playing fetch with.  ;D

Blinkin

If you play a paladin, I'll warn you that I'll hold the character to a paladin's code. He won't lose his powers if he must make the best of bad situations, but he cannot intentionally commit an evil act without conquences... IE, killing a prisoner or some such. I know that newer systems don't hold onto to that, and Paladins are too free at that point to just be more powerful fighters.

My first exposure to a 5E paladin was an eye opener when a CG paladin threw a prisoner off a cliff and then tortured another and the GM just shrugged, "No rules against it now."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Hexed

That sounds horrid. No rules against it or not that's still pretty evil.

And Warpriests of Desna are way cooler then a silly paladin.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Blinkin on August 09, 2017, 05:55:28 PM
If you play a paladin, I'll warn you that I'll hold the character to a paladin's code. He won't lose his powers if he must make the best of bad situations, but he cannot intentionally commit an evil act without conquences... IE, killing a prisoner or some such. I know that newer systems don't hold onto to that, and Paladins are too free at that point to just be more powerful fighters.

My first exposure to a 5E paladin was an eye opener when a CG paladin threw a prisoner off a cliff and then tortured another and the GM just shrugged, "No rules against it now."
*snerk*, no worries about me doing anything like that.

Then again, i suppose thats worth discussing.

The LG requirement is stupid and is even auto-bypassed within the game system itself, making it doubly pointless. The *idea* of a paladin is to be a bastion of all that is light and good and to stand stalwart against a dark world. This does not imply Lawfulness in the dnd morality sense. Rather this is a holdover from the older systems, where there was a moral line, rather than a graph, that went from lawfulgood to chaotic evil, with no such thing as lawful evil or chaotic good... it was a simple way of starting that a paladin can be no less than a moral paragon.

But the system and its audience grew up. Morality is not so straight forward, and we got the now famous chart... which has its own problems, but is far better than the old line. However the Paladin got held back on the LG requirement (even though NG would be the most accurate vision of a paladin under the new system and there is nothing wrong with CG paladins either). 3.5 eventually corrected this by making versions of the paladin that were specifically NG or CG. Pathinder has a few archtypes that let you drop morality requirements, but for whatever reason the system has not reached the level of maturity yet to realize that mandating LG is silly and pointless.

There may not be a 'rule against it' in 5e, but letting a paladin get away with morally dubious actions is not something a good GM would let fly. They were however right to remove the LG bit.

Allow me to summarize;
The Good<>Evil axis defines a character's area of concern. A Good character cares, in the broad sense, about everyone. They may focus on a particular nation or clade or such, but they feel for the plight of all people. A Neutral character cares only for those they chose too, those who are important to them. They likely care about their parents, but they may not give the least fuck about your parents. Evil characters ultimately and truely care only about themselves. They do not care about the suffering of others, they may have people they like or are fond of, but they would not sacrifice their own lives to save another, even their most cherished lover.

The Law<>Chaos axis defines the nature of a character's moral system. A lawful character holds to a external center for their moral system; the laws of a nation (and not necessarily the one they are standing in at this moment), a constitution, the creed of a faith, or the vows of a society or knightly order. A Chaotic character holds to a entirely personal set of moral codes... they do not really care what the law or society may say on the matter, they care only about what they know in their heart to be right, and damn the rest. A Neutral character does alittle of both, typically taking a external moral code and viewing it through the lens of their own opinions.

There are many MANY different interpretations of Alignment in DnD/PF, examples of situations and people who try to quote conflicting sources on the subject. The above is the only version that makes any sense if you take more than five seconds to think about them, and the only one that encompasses the entire range of realistic morals. You cant just do 'Doing X in Y is bad' thats not the least bit realistic, X could well be the *most* moral choice in a given situation. But to get to the point... I dont mind you holding me to measure. Thats not what im trying to say. But I would rather simply make my character Chaotic Good (as my god is) and be held to a high fucking standard. Not some silly checklist that comes off as if it was written by a shut-in bible studies teacher, thats not what being Good is about. Or what being a Paladin is about. Not to mention, there are dozens of different Paladin Codes, half the goodly gods have unique ones, and half the evil gods have Antipaladin codes. Which just goes to show that a single set of absolute unquestionable rules doesnt work in reality because the Core code doesnt even fit half the gods that canonly have tons of paladins.

I trust you as a GM, if you feel im not acting awesome enough then hit me with the consequences. You dont need to cite some specific silly rule i broke to do so, but dont use a list of rules to tell if im being a bad girl either. Judge my character by the content and context of her actions.

...Anway, thats my view on Alignment and morality in D20. Does that work for you Blinkin? Or should i pick another class?

Blinkin

The example that I gave, was from a player who was "Shopping" for a deity that fit what he wanted to do with the paladin. Mainly, try to slip an anti-paladin past the DM by creating a paladin and then picking up an evil deity. It was bad enough that the group fell apart over it.

I'm not going to come up with a set of rules or standards that's unrealistic or contradictory; Just a sort of moral compass, that I'll work out with you that will determine how the character sees herself in the form of a holy warrior of a god. I'm not hung up on alignment; play whatever you like, as long as it's in the good range. This is more due to the prohibitation against evil characters than a paladin and I agree with you by and large on the descripton of alignment. The only time I'll mention it is if there's a series of acts that's counter to the broad range of an alignment, which has never happened.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Blinkin on August 09, 2017, 06:43:27 AM
If you're concerned about crits, you may want to look at the inspired blade archetype. It grants extra panache via the Int mod and at 5th, you get improved crit as a bonus feat. Even though it's almost requires a rapier, that gives you a 15+ crit range. I've never had any trouble recovering or maintaining panache at that point.

You'll have to figure out how to get your AC up, but with a dex based character and the nimble class feature and an enchanted buckler, it shouldn't be too bad. Damage is nice with a +5 in precision damage. If you take Fencer's grace, and all the prerequq's are right there as automatic class features, that jumps to +9 base at 5th level, perhaps a couple more depending on what feats you take. Use acrobatics to move about and you're actually damn hard to hit.

Just my thoughts.

Honestly I'm envisioning him as more of a John Carter or a male Red Sonja than an Errol Flynn. While I suppose that's not mutually exclusive with fighting with a rapier, RAW he wouldn't be able to take both Dashing Thief and Inspired Blade, as they both alter panache.

Furthermore, if I'm reading the current rules for Fencing Grace properly, shields are incompatible with Fencing Grace (or Slashing Grace, for that matter).

Quote from: Ixy on August 09, 2017, 10:28:14 AM
I personally favor the backstory with a little darkness and family loyalty.  If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have a connection through my character's adoptive father, if yours has been free for more than a few years, or if his freedom was recent then perhaps they had a brush upon his emancipation.

I was thinking he only won his freedom recently, but a few ideas do arise:
• potentially, old Wilhem was in the audience for the final fight that earned Victor's freedom (maybe Wilhem even placed a bet on the match?)
• the two had a friendly drinking contest one night, with Victor not realizing just how fragile Wilhem's health had become
• in his adventuring days, maybe Wilhem had adventured with the woman who taught Victor everything he knows about pit fighting, a character who will not be named in his backstory but only referred to as a She-Devil with a Sword and hair the color of flame.
I'm open if you have other ideas, though!

Blinkin

Quote from: indarkestknight on August 10, 2017, 02:35:15 AM
Honestly I'm envisioning him as more of a John Carter or a male Red Sonja than an Errol Flynn. While I suppose that's not mutually exclusive with fighting with a rapier, RAW he wouldn't be able to take both Dashing Thief and Inspired Blade, as they both alter panache.

Furthermore, if I'm reading the current rules for Fencing Grace properly, shields are incompatible with Fencing Grace (or Slashing Grace, for that matter).

Hmmmm... they changed the feat. It use to specify as long as there wasn't another weapon in the other hand, not as long as the hand isn't holding anything... which makes no frigging sense to me as there are so many historical fencing styles that employed the other hand for defense.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting both, I was offering an alternative. *shrugs*
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Snake