More Personal Information Stolen

Started by Paradox, January 21, 2009, 05:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Is it really that hard to encrypt some friggin data?

Evidently so.

Quote from: Nick Farrell
US credit card processor exposes masses of data
Tens of millions at risk

A major US credit card processing outfit has admitted that the personal data of tens of millions of its clients has been nicked in what could be one of the biggest hacks in US history.

Heartland Payment System said that card numbers, expiration dates, and in some cases cardholder names were exposed in hacker attacks on its systems. Apparently the data was unencrypted.

The hackers used sniffer software to capture authorisation data as Heartland asked for approval from major payment companies and banks. Victims were believed to be holders of Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover Financial cards.

While the company said it had "industry-leading encryption", the data has to be unencrypted to request the information. At that point the sniffer was able to grab that authorization data.

Hackers managed to install the software in May. Heartland did not spot it until the autumn. During that time it processed nearly 600 million transactions that would have been watched by the hackers.

Personal security codes were not revealed by the hack and that might limit what the hackers could do with the data.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/542/1050542/us-credit-card-processor-exposes-masses

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Trieste

I'm so glad that they have that super secret 3-digit code on the back (or 4-digit code on the front of American Express). I mean, wow, it really protects my credit card. It's so difficult to guess if someone is able to hack a financial institution. I mean, geez, wow, phew.

Give me a fucking break.  >:(

Paradox

I've had over a thousand dollars stolen from my checking account due to shit like this. I rarely, if ever, use my debit card any more. The protection measures are ridiculously weak.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Zakharra

Unfortunately, there are hackers spending a huge amount of time working on getting past this type of security. They make programs specifically to get past it, so it's not surprizingly that it happens. The battle between security and hackers is constant and ever evolving.

Oniya

If you build a better mousetrap
And put it in your house
Before long, Mother Nature
Will build a better mouse.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

Are you telling me that the ground is full of mouse-factories?

Trieste

Paradox

Well I knew the moles hated me; my front yard is always full of tunnels and holes, but now the mice too?

Maybe the mice were the ones stealing my information all along..

/paranoia

It isn't working.

/paranoia

I think my computer machine is busted

/paranoia

Oh shit, maybe the mice chewed through the wires..

/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia
/paranoia

HELP!

Zakharra

Quote from: Oniya on January 21, 2009, 11:34:43 AM
If you build a better mousetrap
And put it in your house
Before long, Mother Nature
Will build a better mouse.

Exactly.