News:

Main Menu

Joining the Military

Started by VioletPanda, October 30, 2014, 09:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VioletPanda

So, I am joining the Air Force, hopefully! I am -I believe- 4'9 or 4'9 and a half, the minimum requirement for females is supposedly 4'10 ie 58 inches. People say the odds are that I will make it, but I just read something that I found really odd:

The requirement for every branch except the Navy is the aforementioned 58'. In the Navy it's 51'....Do they like shorter people to fit in the submarines or what? Anyone know?
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Oniya

Having seen footage of actual submarine interiors, I can see it being an advantage.  Rather surprised there isn't a max height for submariners.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on October 30, 2014, 09:27:13 PM
Having seen footage of actual submarine interiors, I can see it being an advantage.  Rather surprised there isn't a max height for submariners.
I think it might be de facto. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Annisthyrienne

My understanding from watching the Military Channel and the History Channel is that submarines are built with the same size doorways, bunks, etc as any other ship.  Sure there is not the same amount of room to be spacious in general, but the basic dimensions of the shipboard facilities are the same.  They may like shorter statured crewmen for submarines, but I don't think it's a requirement based on the type of vessel.  But I didn't think they had females on subs yet, since they deploy under isolated conditions for months at a time.  Submarines are considered a combat vessel, and I don't know if they still have the prohibition on women in front line combat vessels.  Then again, I've heard of women serving on aircraft carriers and even saw some in one of the shows I watched, so maybe they've changed their rules.