Desk lighting question

Started by AmberStarfire, June 14, 2016, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

Just a somewhat random-sounding question that isn't Elliquiy-related at all.

I'm looking for a means of lighting my desk so I can play an MMO in the dark late at night. I have a compact gaming keyboard already but not all keys are lit and the light isn't sufficient. I had one of those clip on book lights on my desk but it didn't do much and the battery's almost dead. I'm looking for a way to light the keyboard so I can play games in the dark when Hairy's asleep and not wake him up.

I'm in Ireland but ordering from somewhere in the UK would be okay. I'm just wondering if anyone might have some suggestions. Thanks. :)

Geraint

This may not be quite what you're asking for, but it's what I use at night when I don't want to wake my wife.

And light or dark, this is hands down the most amazing keyboard I've ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-000914-Illuminated-Keyboard-K740/dp/B001F51G16/ref=sr_1_32?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1465955553&sr=1-32

It's not a gaming keyboard, nor is it compact (rather a slightly smaller full size), but it's fabulous for writing, and every key is illuminated

They also make a wireless version (K800), but I like the keys and touch on this one much better.

AmberStarfire

Thanks Geraint. I'm having a look now on Amazon.

I usually only would buy another keyboard if there's something wrong with the one I have, but.. I just can't see it in the dark, so a fully lit keyboard is certainly an option. I think this one is the one I have now but it's only got 4 keys illuminated. I was looking into it more in case there was some option to light up more keys but it doesn't look like it.

The only thing is I'm not sure if the Logitech one would accept simultaneous keystrokes, as you might use when gaming. I do pretty much all my writing on my laptop and mainly just use the desktop as a gaming machine (99% of the time). Maybe a full, backlit gaming keyboard might be the way to go though or something like that. I'll definitely look more into the options. 

The Dark Raven

My hubs has the razr backlit (Chroma), but I don't know if you want to drop that kind of cash on just a keyboard.  It does not have a data entry pad, but it full size and wired (so no running out of battery).  I am unsure if they sell it on amazon, because he got his at a Best Buy here in the States.  Worth a look though.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Geraint

Quote from: AmberStarfire on June 14, 2016, 09:16:18 PM
Thanks Geraint. I'm having a look now on Amazon.

I usually only would buy another keyboard if there's something wrong with the one I have, but.. I just can't see it in the dark, so a fully lit keyboard is certainly an option. I think this one is the one I have now but it's only got 4 keys illuminated. I was looking into it more in case there was some option to light up more keys but it doesn't look like it.

The only thing is I'm not sure if the Logitech one would accept simultaneous keystrokes, as you might use when gaming. I do pretty much all my writing on my laptop and mainly just use the desktop as a gaming machine (99% of the time). Maybe a full, backlit gaming keyboard might be the way to go though or something like that. I'll definitely look more into the options.
I came across that in the reviews when I was looking to buy it.  It does actively block a number of three key simultaneous combinations, and Logitech specified that it isn't a gaming keyboard.  I didn't know if key combinations would apply to an MMO (as I've never played one).  So it may not suit your purposes.

Oniya

Does your desk have a keyboard drawer?  If it does, or if you could mount one, you might try attaching a small bar-style light to the underside of the desk surface

crazy ASCII art yey!

ddddddddddddd
| ------light-----  |
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

d=desk
k=keyboard
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Geraint: I would often use 2 keys at a time playing the game but I'm not sure about 3. There's ctrl-alt-delete at times, but not necessarily for gaming.

The Dark Raven: I've seen those and they're lovely. There's a shop down the road that sells them but they are a bit expensive and there are other things I should probably spend money on first.

Oniya: It does have a drawer but I slide it out when I use it. I haven't seen bar style lights here before that would be suitable (that I can remember) but Amazon has many things. I just want a strong enough light that I can see the keyboard, but something that isn't going to get in the way of the screen. I have a cardboard box I decorated sitting in front of the monitor that I keep things like portable hard drives and my headphones in. That's where I used to clip my book light and kind of bend it out of the way but the light was too weak to see much (and seemed to bounce off the keys). I'm wondering if a light was attached under the top of the keyboard drawer, whether it would need to be angled more toward the front of the desk because having the keyboard slid out would cast the keyboard in shadow. I guess it would depend on how bright it is.

Beguile's Mistress

This is what I use on my desktop.  Google "USB keyboard light" for some ideas on where to get one.  They are pretty inexpensive and plug into your hardware for power.

AmberStarfire

Thanks. I'll do that. :) I don't have a USB port on my keyboard but maybe it wouldn't need to plug in there.

Oniya

The drawer I have has an open back, so that there's a lip of desk available no matter how far out I slide it (I usually pull mine out just far enough to see the function keys.  I'm thinking that one of those 'under cabinet LED' lights tucked under there might do the trick.  I might experiment, as we have a stick-on battery operated version of this in our kitchen, but they also come in AC varieties.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

Okay. I'll have a look and see what I can find. It would just be a small area where the keyboard on the tray slides out, so it shouldn't be that complicated.

Beguile's Mistress

Hope you can find something cheap and easy that works for you. :-)

AmberStarfire

Gypsy

There are some youtube videos on how to make any keyboard a back lit keyboard for around $10. If you're the 'DIY' sort, might be worth checking out. :-)
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

AmberStarfire

I'm not really but I figure either way I would need to buy the lights, so I can see what options there are (either by visiting a shop that caters to it) or from Amazon or somewhere like that.

I haven't got to it further yet, but I will.

Geraint

Quote from: AmberStarfire on June 15, 2016, 06:59:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Geraint: I would often use 2 keys at a time playing the game but I'm not sure about 3. There's ctrl-alt-delete at times, but not necessarily for gaming.
Two at a time work fine (I use that a lot for various purposes).  Control/alt/delete works fine.

What it won't allow is combinations like W/shift/space, which is apparently in common use in shooters.

And a few reviews (hotly contested by others) say the very fast typists occasionally lose the third key stroke of three very close together.   I type 50-60 WPM and have never had a problem.

AmberStarfire