Gestalt D&D 3.5

Started by ulthakptah, December 12, 2010, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

Intrest thread
In character thread
Sheets/OOC thread

So yeah I kinda wanna DM a game. It's not normally my thing, but I think it could be fun. For starting levels I was think somewhere between 3-8. No less than three because I want players to be able to use races/templates with level adjustments, and anything above eight is high for a Gestalt game. Stat generation would be kinda weird. Roll 7d10 and drop the lowest then add 8 to each roll and those are your stats, or if that's too strange for you there is the alternative of 36 point buy. The way I like to do level adjustments in Gestalt is that for your level adjustment you just have one class, so if you were a catfolk fighter/rogue your starting level would be the same except for one of the levels you were either just a fighter or just a rogue. Base attack, and save are fractional and with good save you don't get the 2-1/2 every time you pick a new class with a good save just once.

Setting wise I like the great wheel so I'll use that for cosmology, and the material plane would be one a large world where different campaign settings would be in different regions So feel free to use any books, magazines, or web articles from wizards to make you character. I would also like to have a wide verity of races and class in this group so don't be afraid to get creative and use some esoteric race, template, prestige class,  class variant, spells, magic items from Dragon magazine. 4-8 players is preferable and it's not a hard 8 either I will accept more, and if more than 8 people have already expressed interest don't be afraid to post your interest as well. A lot of people will probably flake anyway

Primarch

I've been wanting to do a gesalt campaign, colour me interested.

lorcan

Hmm i think id be interested in this

Primarch

QuoteBase attack, and save are fractional and with good save you don't get the 2-1/2 every time you pick a new class with a good save just once.

What do you mean here? Wouldn't a gesalt character usually take his BAB, skills, HP and saves from whichever is giving the highest bonus?

ulthakptah

you were to multiclass or take a prestige class that has a good save that is already a good save of yours you would just get 1/2 a point instead of 2 1/2 points. Example If you were going rogue/wizard your good saves are ref and will then you take a level of rogue/mind binder in your will save would go up by 1/2 not 2 1/2, because if I let this happen you could just take one lvl of every different spellcasting prestige class and get a will save of 42 with full spellcasting at level 20. But if your question is about fractional saves good saves give 2 1/2 points then 1/2 a point each level after. Poor saves give 1/3 every level. Base attack comes in good, average, and poor which are 1, 3/4, and 1/2 respectively. It's just an easier way of understanding base bonuses when you multiclass.

ulthakptah

Ok, three people have expressed interest so far, one by PM. Anyone of you want to chime in about starting level? Or maybe some other suggestion, want, or question?

Primarch

Anywhere from six up would be cool by me.

ulthakptah

Ah, sixth level. Where you get another feat, and most take the first level of a prestige class, good choice. Now the choices of starting level are 6, 7, and 8.

Primarch

I suppose at 6 we're high enough to have enough levels and feats to make interesting characters, but not so high that what we fight needs to be super tough to challenge our gesalted characters. We'll also be leveling at a decent enough rate.

What would starting gold be?

ulthakptah

Ok starting level six it is. Starting gold will be standard for sixth level (13,000gp)

NicciKotor

Level 6 is quite fine with me as well.

Hm... gestalt. So many choices.

I think I shall be going for duskblade/wizard. Because nothing is more fun then channeling a lightening bolt through a katana into a baddie. With the katana having spell storing a well, so two lightening bolts smacking someone in the face.

Duskblades are hilarious with spell storing weapons.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

ulthakptah

Cool, so if Lorcan is still in that makes four, and I will definitely be going through with the game, so start making your characters.

Still accepting more people as well.

NicciKotor

Yeah I am going human too. I need the extra feat to get eschew materials. Carrying around a bag of bat poo is not fun at all.

I sank so much money into getting a spellstoring sword that my AC is only 18. Well mage armor can fix that in a hurry!

lorcan

Im still in and level six is good with me you got yoursefl a human fighter rogue here

ulthakptah

If your interested you could do the flaw thing on page 91 of unearthed arcana for an extra feat, and If you really need more feats we could do feats like pathfinder so it's at every two levels instead of three.

NicciKotor

Julia Al'Thor

Level 6 Immediate Wizardess/Duskblade
Ability scores: 16-16-15-18-14-12
Hp: 49
AC: 18 = 10+3 dex + 5 armor
Touch AC: 13
Flat footed: 15
Saves: 7/5/7
BAB/grapple: +6/+1;+9
Attack: +11/+6; +1 katana with spellstoring; 1d10+5+spell
Skills: climb+9, concentration +11, craft wondrous items +12, decipher script +4, jump +12, know arcane +10, listen +3, spot +3, search +4, ride +5, sense motive +10, spellcraft +10, swim+5

Feats: Craft wondrous items, combat casting, weapon focus(katana), weapon expertise, eschew materials, extra spell(2nd)

Special ability:
Spell stored- Combust
counter fire
arcane attunement
(dancing lights, detect magic, flare, ghost sounds, read magic: 7/day)
arcane channeling
armored mage
quick cast 1/day

Equipment:
+1 mithril chainshirt - 2100gp
+1 spellstoring katana - 8350 gp
handy havorsack - 2000 gp
bedroll - 1sp - 5
blanket - 5sp - 3
candle - 1 cp
ten flask - 10 sp
manacles,master work - 50 gp - 2
mirror - 10 gp - .5lb
ink - 8 gp
paper - 12 sp 4 sheets
rope, silk - 10 gp- 5
soap - 5 gp - 1 lb
water skin - 1 gp - 1 lb
tent - 5 gp - 10 lb
naughty gear - 100 gp

350 gp left

languages: common, elvish, dwarfen, gnomish, underdark

Spells:
School focus: Evocation:
Prohibited schools: necro and divination

Spells known: all/7/5/4 - wizardess
spells known: 4/6/2- duskblade

0: acid splash, disrupt undead, ray of frost, touch of fatique
1: jump, kelgores fire bolt, ray of enfeeblement, true strike
2: cat's grace, touch of idiocy

0: all
1: mage armor, shocking grasp,  disguise self, unseen sevant, charm person, shield, feather fall
2: invisibility, combust, resist energy, bulls strength, protection from arrows
3: fireball, fly

Per day:
Duskblade: 6-7-4
Wizard: 4-4-4-3

0: ray of frost(4)
1: kelgores fire bolt(3), ray of enfeeblement(2), jump, true strike
2: cats grace(2), touch of idiocy(2)

0: light(4)
1: mage armor, unseen servant, feather fall, shocking grasp, shield
2: combust, invisibility, resist energy, bulls strength, protection from arrows
3: fly, fireball(2)

If you want something dead and fast, Julia is the girl to go too. Once per day, for a single attack, she can deal 1d10+5+12d8 damage. That is 58 points of damage on average, on top of catching whomever pissed her off on fire.

lorcan

Nicci Kotor um just to point something out its not underdark it undercommon .

lorcan

Hmm what if the  prestige class im looking at has two good saves do i chose one or the other to give the  half  point to or no?

Primarch

If we're taking a template that adds a level adjustment, does that affect both or just one class?

ulthakptah

Quote from: lorcan on December 13, 2010, 04:55:06 PM
Nicci Kotor um just to point something out its not underdark it undercommon .
and it's commonly placed under common :P. Anyway the sheet looks good another problem is you have is that the damage on your katana is 1d10+4 in one place and 1d10+5 in another when it should be 1d10+5 in both.

Quote from: lorcan on December 13, 2010, 05:09:38 PM
Hmm what if the  prestige class im looking at has two good saves do i chose one or the other to give the  half  point to or no?
you take the best of your two classes for that level. Just think of it like this after you have gotten 2 1/2 in a save it will either increase by 1/2 or 1/3 depending of if you have a good save or poor save for that level

Quote from: Primarch on December 13, 2010, 05:11:15 PM
If we're taking a template that adds a level adjustment, does that affect both or just one class?
Just one

Everyone:
I don't require you to have any background history for your character, but I would like to know things like their wants and desires, or your wants and desires for your character. It will help me steer the story in the right direction.

NicciKotor

Yeah half way through making that I remember how I get to add 1.5 times my str to dmg if I am using a one handed weapon with two hands. I'll fix things around later.

ulthakptah

Quote from: NicciKotor on December 13, 2010, 05:37:41 PM
Yeah half way through making that I remember how I get to add 1.5 times my str to dmg if I am using a one handed weapon with two hands. I'll fix things around later.
Just notice this your missing an alignment

NicciKotor

Yeah I make my alignment when I post. This sort of character isn't reliant on alignment class restrictions, so no big loss. I just need to feel out which personality I want to use when things start up, and I go from there.

NicciKotor

QuoteEveryone:
I don't require you to have any background history for your character, but I would like to know things like their wants and desires, or your wants and desires for your character. It will help me steer the story in the right direction.

Going to make her a fun loving CG arcane caster. Out in the world for the hell of it, looking for treasure and sexual conquest. Very much enjoys an exciting romp with other girls, the more naughty the better, and likes her men to be assertive and not cringe from her mightly power.

Gonna have to find a new picture though, that one is just too mean.

Crovonovin

I might be interested in this sort of thing.  Gestalt is when you take two class levels per level up, correct?

Have you decided between rolling for stats or a point buy system?

And while I'm peppering you with questions anyway, do you already have an idea of what you want to accomplish with this game in terms of plot?  I'm a bit leery about games with too many vagaries about them, particularly when the characters involved will be quite a step above the usual adventurer progression.