Windows 7 Help

Started by Serephino, June 04, 2010, 10:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

I can't defrag the stupid thing.  It jumps to 73% instantly and freezes.  Why did they have to change it?  Anybody have any idea how to fix it?

Wolfy

You could get Defraggler...*shrug* does the same job..probably better than the windows one.

Callie Del Noire

I usually suggest a fire ax for immediate stress relief but for pratical considerations you can see if you need to do a low level scan/defrag to see if it's one type of issue with the program.

Other than that.. I'd suggest the same as Wolfy.. get a 2nd party defragger.

Serephino

I think I like the ax idea.... ;D

Trieste

It's probably not a Win7 issue since I run Win7 and the defrag works fine.

Paladin

Tharic

Make sure you close "everything" down before you run the defrag. You may have something running in the background as well in down in TaskManager. Something like an IM client, file sharing client, etc. Anything like that may cause a defrag to halt at a certain % since the app is hitting file(s) and defrag is trying to move them.

Like everyone else has said though, Defraggler will give you a bit more control. The end results of the defrag itself won't be much different, the algorithm is basically the same regardless if it's the built-in Windows 7 defrag moving small /sequential files together or a 3rd party defrag. However the UI and ease of use will vary, as well as the ability to do things such as defrag your MFT, scheduled defrags, boot-time, etc..

Speaking of boot-time defrag, that's something you may also want to try. A quick Google search will walk you through that with Windows 7 if you don't switch to something like Defraggler.