Warhammer 40k, It can happen!

Started by Primarch, May 26, 2010, 10:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Alright, I know there's interest on the site for 40k, enough of us who want a game know this! But it just seems cursed to always fall through, but I'm going to try and beat this damn curse!

The game I want to set up is going to be what I call a "use common sense" freeform game. You character can have more weapons then the tabletop would normally allow, but use common sense. An Imperial Guardsman Veteran isn't going to be walking around with a Bolter, a chainsword, a back up Bolter and a Rocket Launcher with Krak Missiles on the off-chance a tank comes along.

Now...Plot.

On the Imperium world of Kelios, the Space Marine Chapters are having a massive gathering for a once in a decade year inter-chapter Tournament, not only are representatives of almost every Space Marine Chapter able to attend present, but also legions of Imperial Guardsmen, eager to gamble on the Olympics of a grim, dark universe. Local regiments of Sisters of Battle and various arms of the Inquistion are also present, mainly attending for the social benefits, but also on the just in case.

As it would happen, they were right to be there "just in case." Knowing of the Tournament, a massive chaos force as dropped out of the Warp and laid siege to the planet, hoping to devastate the present Imperial Forces, which would deal a crippling blow to all local systems who's defenders are on the planet, and shatter morale. There's a quick and desperate defense and a possible bloodbath is narrowly avoided by quick thinking and over the top brutality.

The Eldar, who have a Craftworld that would be in quite the danger zone should the Chaos forces batter through the Imperial World, not ones to get their own hands dirty, they machinate to get the defenders of a Tau world (taken in the recent growth spurts) in to aid, flanking the Chaos forces. Hearing about the "battle of all battles" in the system, the Greenskins of course turn up, just to prove who's da best!

The result is a massive cluster fuck war, an uneasy alliance between the Imperium, Tau & Eldar Forces, against two overwhelmingly large Chaos and Ork forces.  RP can take place on the worn torn world of Kelios, battle barges and other naval vessels floating around in, some locked in constant long distance fire, others behind waiting to support, and the nearby worlds ready to give support be they Tau, Imperium or the Eldar Craftworld.

I will personally GM this if we get so many as 3 players willing to form a team for one side of the war, and if we get a whole bunch that people can just run with their own stuff, I'll drop in a character myself.
Bio is below

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Faction:[/b]

[b]Equipment:[/b] (Please include weapons, armour and anything else they might use)
[b]Special Skills:[/b] (Including Psyker or other fantastical abilities)

[b]Description:[/b] (Image could suffice, but you may want to include a written description if they're covered head to toe in armour)
[center][img]*insertpichere*[/img][/center]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]

Fallenpaladin7

Im definatly interested in this ill start to create my char tomarrow.

CountessJess

I'm very interested too. I'll pm you my character soon.

Paladin

I'm tellin ya man thees games die way too easily. I've been in 4 of them, all 40K based. Horrible horrible deaths.

Miles Trent

Veyr true. We need a heroic and brave GM to keep it all together!  :o
Using a real person's picture is like stealing their soul.... Consult your local roleplay doctor before proceeding. :D
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

Primarch

That's what I'm trying to be Trent.....thats what I'm trying....

sinoraa

Can i be a techmarine? their the only space marines i feel i have enough knowledge of, to play...I love techmarines...I also love the Tau, and tyranid, but i don't see myself playing those here.

Primarch

sinoraa

Alright, quick question. Are there female tech marines? Haven't seen any, or heard of any in the books i've read, but sense there are female chapters, i think, they would at least have female tech marines.

Primarch

Good question, I'd assume the Adepta Sororitas would maintain some kind of equivalent to the techmarines. But if they do, I've never come across any in any of the books/lexicanum pages/games I've played. Personally I wouldn't mind if you played some kind of Adepta Sororitas techmarine, I'm not one to ruin a perfectly good character idea for the sake of strictly sticking to canon.

sinoraa

True...And after all, most warhammer books are just fanfics, until they get the seal of approval...And yeah, female techmarine doesn't seem like the biggest godmod. But i felt as if i should ask, as some are really iffy on expanding on the world...Even though its specifically designed to make your own chapters and planets :P

Primarch

Its not like you want to make a female Space Wolf, or a Female Grey Knight who's also fallen to Chaos. The Adepta Sororitas make use of a variety of tanks and other pieces of equipment that would require the attentions of someone like a Techmarine. I wouldn't even consider this a godmod per say, more like an educated guess on an unestablished part of canon. That is, I can't recall who keeps Adepta Sororitas Tanks in good repair, but someone similar to a Techmarine seems like the obvious guess, the Adepta Sororitas are basically the female answer to Space Marines, minus a few things.

Insatiably Bored

if you got the slots, and don't mind Marine player jumping in I am very wanting in on this. if I get the go ahead I will start up on char creation asap.
O&O: Updated 9/27/11

A&A: UPDATED 9/28/11 Official Day of eternal departure from E

Primarch

WyzardWhately

I also have a concept which may be rather too outre for this game, but which I have a certain affection for.

In the short form, I want to play a Black Templar psyker/librarian.  Now, those of you familiar with the canon are protesting that this is, of course, nonsens.  The Templar's have no librarians, because they despise psykers (pointing out to the BTs that the Emperor was a psyker is probably unwise...) 

However, that in fact neatly explains why he's here.  Being in a mixer with numerous people, among them inquisitors, will give him an opportunity to try and join an Inquisitorial retinue, or perhaps the Deathwatch (or similar).  That conveniently solves the problem of him existing for all concerned:  He doesn't get mindwiped or similar, his superiors can quietly disavow him, and the Emperor can continue to be served in whatever capacity he can manage.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Primarch

Hmm.....I'm afraid I'm not so sure about that one. Candidates are thoroughly tested and screened during the process of turning them into Space Marines, if he was a Psyker they'd have known about it before he ever joined their ranks. I'm afraid I'm going to decline that idea, as you said yourself, it may be a bit outre. Now, if you can find a reference to individuals being inducted to the BT and being discovered as Psykers afterwards (even if those ones were killed or some other way of removing) I might be persuaded.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Primarch on May 27, 2010, 11:11:02 AM
Hmm.....I'm afraid I'm not so sure about that one. Candidates are thoroughly tested and screened during the process of turning them into Space Marines, if he was a Psyker they'd have known about it before he ever joined their ranks. I'm afraid I'm going to decline that idea, as you said yourself, it may be a bit outre. Now, if you can find a reference to individuals being inducted to the BT and being discovered as Psykers afterwards (even if those ones were killed or some other way of removing) I might be persuaded.

My idea was that he'd emerged as a psyker some time into his career as a space marine.  I don't think that's actually against canon, since I'm not aware that there's any way to detect whether someone will develop psychic abilities before they suddenly manifest.  I was also under the impression that something about the Space Marine gene-seed made the development of psychic potential more likely among the SMs than baseline humanity - I may be wrong about that, though.

A quick examination of the BT codex doesn't indicate exactly how they keep from having psykers, just that they don't.  Since they do make use of astropaths and navigators, it seems logical to infer that they don't necessarily kill psykers on sight.  So, is it possible that he slipped through the cracks and only manifested after his Initiation?

In any event, I'm not married to the idea, I just think it's cool.  Am I correct in understanding that a librarian from another chapter would be acceptable?
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Primarch

All potential Space Marines are put through a rigorous series of tests to discover any trace of flaw or mutation, the psyker mutation is one of first checked, I don't know the particular, but they can tell if someone's a Psyker or not. But yes, a Librarian from another Chapter would be fine.

MissMeep

Oh this sounds fun!

I would be interested in playing an Eldar character.  Either a Howling Banshe, Farseer or Warp Spider (although I think they are male?)

Primarch

Howling Banshee's are female, Farseer's can be either and I believe yes, the Warp Spiders tend to be male.

MissMeep

Quote from: Primarch on May 27, 2010, 02:23:54 PM
Howling Banshee's are female, Farseer's can be either and I believe yes, the Warp Spiders tend to be male.

Works for me.

How are the teams shaping up so far?

I really enjoyed playing Chaos in the table top game, but I dont really know any distinct female Chaos characters (that are not a demon, or spawn)

Primarch

A female chaos could be anything from a female Noble who learned some sorcery, a Sister of Battle who got seduced (Slaneesh loves going after them), there's a lot of possibilities for female Chaos. Maybe an Inquisitor chick turned bad?

HairyHeretic

I've tried running them before, so I shall simply wish you more than I had :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Primarch

Ah Heretic, I was hoping you'd grace the thread eventually. Care to join us? Worst case scenario it doesn't work out.

HairyHeretic

I appreciate the offer, but I think I need to pass. I'm still trying to get a group game of my own up and running, plus sorta got talked into another story this morning. One of these days I will try to cut down to a reasonable number of games  :P
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.