[Red Hand of Doom] Chapter 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Started by Jeramiahh, October 15, 2009, 01:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

Near the western edge of the peaceful Elsir Vale, along the Dawn Way, on the south side of, and one of the only easy crossings for, the Elsir river, which holds back the Witchwood from the civilized lands, near the foot of the Wyrmsmoke Mountains, there lies the small, unassuming community of Drellin's Ferry. A town of a little more than a thousand souls, it's a pleasant farming community... and soon to be the site of a terrible disaster. But not for a couple of weeks, at the least.

It's hot. Midsummer has hit the Vale, and the air is hot and still. The route along the Dawn Way is quite monotonous; endless small hills, farms, and dusty, flyspeck towns. It's but a few miles from Drellin's Ferry, the last bastion of civilization before the Way crosses into the Witchwood. The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. Anyone traveling the road has passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, but this one feels.. wrong. An overturned cart sits, in the middle of the road, and it looks like there's a body, slumped next to it, reins scattered, but no sign of the horse, that must've broken free.

(Perception check, DC 12: You spot a glint of metal, off in the woods, and then another, nearby; some group is waiting in ambush!)
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra is simply walking along the road to Drelin's Ferry when she catches sight of the body. She also notices the impending ambush, and moves herself into a position of safety before she and the others can be attacked.

Roll Result: Lyra rolled: 1d20, adding 9 to the total; Comment: Perception Check Red Hand of Doom; Result: 19, Total: 28

Lyra had been traveling for days now. The girl was always between towns, always moving forward to new places and meeting new people. It wasn't that Lyra didn't want to settle down somewhere, it's just that her compulsions wouldn't let her. It was on this hot and parched day that she traveled towards Drelin's Ferry, the next in a long list of small townships and villages she would visit over the course of her wanderings.

A body. Her sharp, green eyes saw it instantly, but her mind processed it a bit differently than others might. She wasn't really concerned with the well-being of the hurt individual; it didn't matter so much if the person was already dead or not. In a more private setting, things might be different. But on a busy road, with so many people milling about, she would only be teased by investigating.

Curiousity killed the cat,
Lyra chided herself as she moved over to towards the ruined cart. The axle was broken, and one wheel hung at an unnatural angle; it reminded her of a badly broken bone, the way it hung there, limp and useless. The body! Lyra wondered what sort of injuries it had sustained. Would there be blood? A lot of blood? She could already see more people milling about, and a carriage was approaching. I can't appear too interested, she scolded herself.

"Is...is everyone okay?" she asked, her countenance very sweet and innocent. "I...I know a little bit about caring for the wounded. Is this person hurt, do you know?" she asked of another passerby. Kneeling down, she let her hand wander to the body. If she could just feel for a pulse...just know if the person lying there was alive, or already dead...that would be enough to let her move on. For some reason, she just needed to know.

That's when she saw the glint of metal in the woods nearby. Lyra's mind became alarmed, and her eyes searched all about for signs of trouble. This wasn't right. None of this was right, and the more she considered it, the more she became determined that she and the others around her were in danger.

A carriage approached the scene, and she moved for the cover of the great wooden coach as soon as she could do so without arousing suspicion.
"Come into my parlor," said the spider, ever sly.
"I have these sexy, long legs, and I'd love to suck you dry!"

Ons & Offs - My Idea Thread [F/F]

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I giggle and snuggle into Tahline, since we have the entire carriage to ourselves.  Another world, another party just waiting to be found.  Somewhere, I was certain.  I admired my dear sister, gazing on her with an almost proprietary air.  She was tall, with a voluptuous form, curly copper tresses, and milky white skin.  Of course, I was more interested in her coiling, thin tail, with the slightly larger tip at the moment.  My twin was gorgeous, and I knew that my looks matched hers.  The only difference was her jade eyes, compared to my emerald ones.  At the moment I was luxuriating in her touch through my thin red and black robes.  Well...I suppose that it could be classified as a dress, but it was a sort of cross between the the two.

I opened my mouth to say something, but stopped, frowning, as the plush carriage slowed.  I speak to Tahline, then call out to Brenda, the driver. "I wonder what has happened, sis?  Shall we see?  Brenda!  What's going on?  Why are we slowing down?"

Poking my head through the window of the carriage, I see the cart and body, and right as I pull my head back inside, I see the glitter of metal ahead of us.  I pull my head back in and speak tightly to Tahline, casting a pair of spells on her if I have time. "A body and wrecked cart, dear, and I saw glittering metal in the woods.  Shall we dissuade any attackers?"

((Perception, 14+0=14, Cat's Grace and Bull's Strength, in that order.))

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nuzzle gently against Caline's ear, giggling breathily against the gentle, beautiful curve of her ear, tracing it as it ascended to it's delicate point.  My tail, at the same time, trails gently up and down her leg warmly.  So many, many thoughts run through my mind, alas, the carriage was a poor place for many of them.  And given we were on the road, we certainly were not about to expose ourselves.  It was so much fun, though, to tease and caress through clothing.

I give a slightly sigh as she becomes distracted by the slowing, my tail withdrawing to it's more usual position as she speaks with the driver.  A body?  And people examining it?  Interesting...I poke my head out the other window and glance around a moment myself, tail entwining with hers as they meet in the middle.

I withdraw back inward as she does, quirking a brow to her.  "Ooo!  Brigands?  How do I look?"

((Perception:  9 + 14 = 23))
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

It had been days since she found them. Strange tracks in her forest. It was Lakota who first spotted them, growling the way she does when she finds something that doesn't belong. It didn't make Aerynnel at all happy to see them for it meant that she might again be forced to purge the danger strangers invariably brought. Could this be the reason for her recent unease? She barely slept as of late, always waking in a fit from the nightmares. She decided to seek out the cause of her unrest, but first she had to rid the woods of these trespassers, and keep her family safe.

Beside the road leading to Drellin's Ferry, Aerynnel knelt, studying the tracks which suddenly ended there. She frowned at the thought of losing the trail. Her gaze followed the length of the road as a carriage passed by. Aeryn's furry white companion softly growled as they both spotted the overturned cart, and what was that next to it? Placing a hand on Lakota's back, Aerynnel attempted to soothe the animal. "I see it, girl. Easy now," she cooed. "Let's be smart about this and not run headlong into something we can't get out of..." Something caught her eye, the glint of metal, half-blinding her as the sun reflected off of it. She and Lakota looked at each other as they both ducked low. Aerynnel hoped they hadn't been seen. Not yet, Lakota. Let's see what's going on first. Raising her head up slightly, she watched from a distance.

[Perception: 19 +14 = 33]

DreadD

Martel slid  over the path, keeping to herself.  She had been learning it was...  Best to keep to herself.

She had been feeling a little...  Lonely lately, a little put out.  She knew when she left her tribe that the outside world would not embrace her anywhere near so tightly as her friends, family, and others had.  She had known that things would be trying at times, but she had not been ready for the ostracization, the cold words so many met her with.  Though her ample, bare chest frequently caught the eyes of various human and humanoid men, a few seeming to cast sidelong glances at her pale blue skin, those hints of lust were the only sign of interest or, commonly, kindness she received as she had moved into this area.

She scowled, slightly, running a hand through her black hair, tied back so as not to drift into her eyes as she traveled.  She moved unarmed, unarmored, and many had considered her weak for it.  She had taught them better, the skills, the powers that had been granted to her by the village shaman's tutelage had proved more than a match for many who had lashed out against her for being different, for being strange.

Was she really so strange?

The snake woman's hand drifted down along her own torso, feeling the scales that speckled it irregularly, drifting down to where most humans would have legs.  She did not, she had a long, serpentine body, covered completely in deep purple scales.  As she traveled she 'stood' less than five feet tall, but she could draw herself to a significantly greater height, she looked up at the road, and then back at her bracelets, leather set with metal studs, made with symbols of her people, symbols for protection. 

Her dark eyes of green looked up then, scanning the road, her instincts not letting her leave herself unguarded, even in times of such self reflection.  There were other people on the road, a carriage, and...  Another one, fallen by the roadside.  A sign of trouble, though trouble past or present?  She discarded her worries, she would need to be on her guard, and she drew her body up, gaining a foot in height to have a better vantage point, to scan the surroundings.

She frowned softly as she saw the metal.  Whether the fallen cart was a previous victim, or something they had orchestrated to slow down their victims, it seemed there were folk most unpleasant lurking in the woods.  She began to move slowly forward, toward the others, it seemed some of them had spotted the bandits, but she was not certain about those in the carriage.  Though they might treat her poorly, she was not the sort to simply let others be assaulted alone or unawares, she would support these people in the struggle to come.

(Check: Roll Result: Martel rolled: 1d20, adding 8 to the total: Result: 18, Total: 26)

Jeramiahh

Seeing that their ambush had already been spotted, the largest of the hobgoblins in hiding gives a mighty battlecry, ordering his men to attack. Two hobgoblins, one carrying a pair of vicious-looking short swords, and a cleric, rush out of the abandoned farmhouse, while the sound of arrows being drawn can be heard from around them. In addition, a pair of hellhouds, hiding on opposite sides of the road, near the cart, reveal themselves.

Those with Perception checks over 25 will note 6 more hobgoblins, waiting at a nearby camp, deeper in the woods off the road, waiting for the call of battle before they grab their weapons and make ready to engage.

Initiative! The hobgoblins will act on a 18, their leader on a 21, the cleric on a 15, and the hell hounds on a 11. Those on the roadway, there's a slight slope upward, before you reach the woods, where the archers are hiding, just a few feet in; the hounds, cleric, and leader are the closest targets.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Myrleena

ShamshielDF

Ons and offs!
A&A

Alluistras

[Aerynnel Init Roll: 4 +2 = 6; (not sure if pets get their own or if they share, correct me if I'm wrong here, Lakota Init Roll: 17 +3 = 20]

Faeylin

Roll Result: Lyra rolled: 1d20, adding 6 to the total; Comment: Initiative Check; Result: 1, Total: 7

Jeramiahh

(Since DreadD's character is at least a round out, I'll skip him, until he can get an init roll in... Battle order will be, until he's added, leader, hobgoblins, Tahline, cleric, hellhounds, Lyra, Aerynnel, and Caline.)

As Lyra was the closest target, and dangerously close to a hellhound, the dual-wielding, brutish hobgoblin charges her, first, giving a triumphant battle cry. "For the Red Hand!"

(18 to hit, 9 damage. You are not flat-footed, as you were ready for the ambush; no one is.)

DreadD

(Well, I guess I'll be taking my sweet time as I slither up towards the group: Roll Result: Martel rolled: 1d20, adding 2to the total Comment: Initiative Result: 5, Total: 7)

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I take my sword from it's hook next to my door, easily slipping it through my belt and checking to make sure everything else is in place.  Belt, boots, straps, corset...everything seems to be good, I give a quick nod, standing in front of my door.  "Quickly, dear sister...they've begun!"

((Grabbing weapon and getting ready to jump out next round, waiting for Caline to cast at least one spell before exiting))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The hellhounds, while being fairly intelligent, are not known for being kind; One lunges for Lyra, teeth snapping, the other charges the carriage, and attempts to bash down the door.

(19 to hit Lyra, 7 damage. 13 to hit the door, 9 physical, +3 fire. It buckles, but holds.)

The cleric invokes some of his magic, and vanishes from sight. The hobgoblins rain arrows down, mostly avoiding Lyra, as she's engaged in melee, mainly aiming for the carriage driver and the guard, not wanting to ruin a perfectly good horse.

(5 hits between them...  the driver's unconscious, the guard's injured.)

Faeylin

Free Action: Lyra speaks. Reposting because I'm silly. Further action on it's way.

The woman screams as the hobgoblin tears into her. "Please, I submit. Take me prisoner! I submit," she cries out, pleading for mercy.

Faeylin

OOC: Lyra is running away for the moment. She's vastly outnumbered and has no idea what kind of help she can expect from the carriage or elsewhere. If she can withdraw (not sure where everyone is standing) without provoking a single attack of opportunity, Lyra moves 60 feet away from the carriage, running opposite the archers and the ambush. She would like to end in a spot that provides cover/concealment, like a forested area. If she would provoke attacks of opportunity even while withdrawing, she eats them and runs 120 feet away as a full round action, again aiming for something that gives her plenty of cover to hide in (preferably a forested area)

Lyra

They came from everywhere and nowhere all at once. Bestial hobgoblins and demonic hellhounds. She even tried to beg for mercy, but they still attacked her. They're out for blood. My blood, and I'd much rather keep it inside of me. She dodged a lunge, tried to fend off a bite, and that's when she came to her conclusion. There were more of them than there were of her, and if she stayed here for very long at all, she'd soon be dead.

Lyra tried to avoid the next incoming attack, and then she turned and fled from the ambush. Running as fast as she could, she aimed for some kind of cover. Trees, a hill, something she could duck behind when the next round of arrows rained down on them all. She wasn't quite yet certain if she was coming back to the scene of the fight. If I do, it'll be on my terms, she thought, as she ran with all her strength and stamina away. Blood dripped freely from a gash in her belly, and her right hand was covered in wet warmth.

Alluistras

Aerynnel and Lakota

Aerynnel motions to Lakota, a silent command to charge and attack the hellhound attacking Lyra. (Attack: 19, Damage: 8, plus trip if applicable)

Meanwhile, Aerynnel prepares a Wind Wall spell to cast in front of the archers (60ft long/ 30ft wide), which deflects any further incoming arrows, keeping the others safe from them.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I swear in abyssal as I hear the cries of our servants, and whisper a spell, gathering the energies through my body swiftly.  And then I kiss Tahline, delivering and sealing the magic to her with that act, and I reply angrily. "Please take care of these...rude creatures, dear sister?  They hurt our pets."

((Cast Cat's Grace))

DreadD

As the ambush burst from the woods, Martel cursed, softly, gliding forwards as fast as she can.  It looked like there was a good number of opponents, and if she did not manage to consolidate with the other people fighting, they might all, in fact, die.  She was not going to put up with that, to be certain.

Her coils moved easily, though nowhere near as quickly as she would like, over the ground.  She could have increased her pace somewhat, had she chose to, but she was not willing to reveal that capacity so...  Openly just yet.

Jeramiahh

The hound and the leader both look frustrated, as their quarry flees. "After her!" he barks to the hound near him, as he advances on the carriage, trying the door to see if he can fling it open. If he succeeds, he grins at the women inside, weapons at the ready.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I frown slightly at the hobgoblin opening the door, "do you have any idea how rude it is try and spy on a lady?"  With that, I draw my rapier.  Directly across his cheek.

((28 to hit (4 [base] + 6 [dex mod] + 1 [weapon] + 1 [higher ground] + 16 [roll]), 13 damage with sneak attack))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

The hobgolbin looks surprised, as the rapier flashes out, drawing a scarlet line on his cheek, obviously infuriating him.

The archers continue their rain of arrows, but they're caught by the wind wall, and all of them miss, by a wide margin. They draw their swords, and start heading out of the woods, sliding down the slope, to now circle the carriage and ruined wagon.

The hellhound charges after Lyra, but is intercepted by a very large wolf, taking the bite to its flanks, but avoiding being tripped. It turns and snaps at the wolf, in return, but can't seem to find any purchase on its thick hide.

The sound of chanting, from an invisible source, comes from amidst the hobgoblins on the road, and there is the feeling that this area has been blessed by a dark deity.

DreadD

She darted forward, chanting softly to herself.  Martel did not, actually, need to chant, the discipline, the magic was called upon mentally, but she did her best, particularly when first invoking it in a combat, giving thanks for the teachings of the people and their gods that granted her.

"By words, by writ, by forked tongue, in the name of my people, by the grace of our gods, may the tongue of this serpent become a tongue of fire!"

Martel called out, bringing her head back, and then leading forwards, her fingers framing her lips as a long jet of flame swept forward, bursting over the leading hobgoblin as it worked to gain entry to the carriage, sweeping past it to those goblinoids that were coming up to support him.

(3d6: 8 fire damage along a 30 ft line, Ref Save DC: 20 for half)

Faeylin

OOC: One Lyra realizes she's not alone, she doubles back to take on the hound. She uses her move action to draw her two daggers and approach the hound (preferably flanking it), and then attempts to attack it with her standard action. ((14 [1d20 roll] + 12 [base] + 2 [Flanking] = 28 to hit; 1 [1d4 base] + 11 [3d6 SA] = 12 damage))

Lyra

"They have snake people too? Where did they come from?" asked Lyra in mute wonder. Then she watched as the monstrous creature leaned back and spewed a line fire out from her mouth. Lyra was ready to dodge the fearsome attack, but then she realized the fire wasn't actually aimed at her. The creature seemed to be in the fight on her side, whatever side it was that Lyra found herself on this time. Better put on a good show. Better fit in and play the hero, Lyra.

Now that she had friends, she could turn and face her attackers. Pulling twin blades from sheathes at her belt, she turned the arc of her run and headed back towards the ambush. Not far away, a wild wolf quarreled with one of the hellhounds that had attacked her. Blood. You had a taste of mine. Its only fair for you to shed a little too. As the two beasts snapped and circled one another, Lyra moved up to flank the demonic beast. Watching, and waiting, she lunged forward at an opportune moment; her blade was swift and precise as she made her attack.