Midnight Baking with Combi

Started by Combicon, June 07, 2011, 06:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combicon

Midnight Baking with Combi

Why hello there!
I'm going to guess you're here more out of curiosity about what this thread will contain, aren't you?
I love baking, as a few people know, and as such I wanted a place where I could post recipes I absolutely adore, along with photographs, or changes I might make to them if I do them again. So this is really that place. I'm hoping that this will get me to bake more stuff, or more regularly at least, since I love to share really amazing baked goods with people.
As some of the recipes I get will be from online (and thus most likely America) it means that I will have to adjust cups to grams, and as such might not get the calculation exactly right, so I'll put both cups, and grams if you want to make it, but want to follow the original recipe exactly.

If you want to post recipes, things you like, comments, questions or whatever, I would love it if you did.

Contents:
Small Cakes & Cookies
Chocolate Orange Biscuits
Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie dough Brownies
Cakes
Aliviara's Rainbow Cake

Combicon

Peanut butter and Jam cookies
Peanut butter and Jelly cookies

A sweet jam filling, sandwiched between two peanut butter cookies.

Ingredients:
  1 cup (260g) peanut butter
  1 cup (125g) confectioners sugar
  1 egg
  Pinch of salt
  80g jam (jelly to Americans)
  1/3 cup (45g) confectioners sugar
  1 tbsp heavy cream.

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 176*C (350*F).
2. Place greaseproof paper a baking tray.
3. Combine peanut butter, 125g (1 cup) confectioners sugar, salt, egg.
4. Dollop mixture onto greaseproof paper with a teaspoon (flatten the dollops a little with a fork)
5. Bake for eight minutes, take out, and let cool / harden.
6. Combine Jam, 45g (1/3 cup) confectioners sugar, and a tablespoon of heavy cream. (depending on jam, this can take some time.)
8. When cookies are hardened and cool, place a circle of jam mixture onto the bottom of one cookie, and place the second cookie on top, squishing a little.

Note: I had no idea how much the peanut butter cookies would expand, and so weighed each dollop out at 35 grams (forgetting the whole 'use a teaspoon' step), as such the photo that I have provided will probably be larger than how big they should be.
I also felt that the jam was a little too runny, so some sugar could be added to make it less so.

Combirating: OOOOO / OOOOO

Combicon

Chocolate Orange Biscuits
Chocolate Orange Cookies

A subtly chocolate cookie with tangy orange icing

Ingredients:
  75g (1/3 cup) butter, softened
  75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
  1 egg
  1 tablespoon milk
  225g (2 cups) plain flour
  25g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
  175g (1 cup) icing sugar
  3 tbsp orange juice
  dark chocolate

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 180*C (350*F).
3. Beat together butter, and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Beat egg and milk into butter-sugar mix until well combined.
5. Sift together flour and cocoa powder and gradually mix to egg-milk-butter-sugar mixture until it forms a soft dough.
6. Roll out the dough onto a lightly flowered surface until 6mm thick.
7. Use a 2 inch fluted cutter, cut out as many as you can, re rolling the trimmings and cut out more cookies.
8. Place cookies on tray, and bake for 10 minutes (or until golden)
9. Leave cookies to cool on wire rack.
10. Place icing sugar in a bowl, and stir in enough orange juice to form a thin icing that will coat the back of a spoon. Put a small circle of icing in the middle of cookies and leave to set.
11. Melt chocolate in bowl, put fork into melted chocolate and drizzle over cookies.

Note: I put all of the 3 tbsp orange juice into the icing, so it might have been a little runnier than I would have liked.
Note: I had no idea how much the peanut butter cookies would expand, and so weighed each dollop out at 35 grams (forgetting the whole 'use a teaspoon' step), as such the photo that I have provided will probably be larger than how big they should be.
I also felt that the jam was a little too runny, so some sugar could be added to make it less so.

Combirating: OOOO / OOOOO

AliviaraMae

Aliviara's Rainbow Cake!!

Need:
White Cake mix (as many as you think you will need, depending on how many layers you want)
Neon Gel Food Coloring
Mixer
Small Disposable Cake Pans (Can find in the baking section at Walmart in packs of 2)
Eggs
Oil
Icing of your choice (I make my own icing... maybe if I like you guys I will post that here later  ;) )

This cake is super easy to make, just a little time consuming.  All you have to do is make the cake mix.. then evenly distribute the mix in different containers to mix the different colored food gels in them. Then pour the colored mix in different cake pans (should only be about a half inch or inch high. Then put in the oven! (I could fit about four cake pans in the oven at the same time, and I cooked them for about 12 minutes, of course you should check on it regularly since there isn't much cake batter it can burn easily).  After the cake cools slice the top layer of each cake so when you lay the cake down it can be even (use floss or a cake cutter). Then stack and add your icing as desired! I like to use white icing so it is a surprise when you cut into the cake and a burst of color comes out!!

**If you don't feel like making a bunch of tiny little cakes... layer the colored mix on top of each other in one big cake pan. This will give a tie-dye effect!**

Combicon

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Chocolate Chip cookies with cookie dough on top

The cookie dough that is on top of the brownie is uncooked, but does not contain egg.

Ingredients:
  113g (4oz) chocolate
  225g (1 cup) butter, softened
  400g (2 cups) brown sugar
  4 large eggs
  2 tsp vanilla extract
  125g (1 cup) all purpose flour

170g (3/4 cup) butter, softened
  150g (3/4 cup) brown sugar
  168g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
  3 tbsp milk
                                    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
                                    165g (1 1/2 cups) all purpose flour
                                    chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 162*C (324*F).
3. Melt chocolate (not the chocolate chips).
4. Mix 225g butter and 400g brown sugar.
5. Beat in 4 eggs and 2 tsp of vanilla to the 'butter sugar' mix - it should turn liquidy.
6. Mix melted chocolate into the liquidy 'butter sugar eggs vanilla' mix.
7. Blend 100g flour into the liquidy mix.
8. Pour mix into baking tray.
9. Bake (30 to 40 mins)
10. Combine 170g butter, 150g brown sugar, and 168g white sugar.
11. Mix 3 tbsp milk and 1 1/2 tsp into new butter sugar mix.
12. Mix 165g flour into 'milk butter sugar' mix.
13. Stir in chocolate chips to make the cookie dough.
14. Once brownies have baked, let them cool before spreading the cookie dough on top of brownies.
15. Refrigerate (until firm)

Note: The original instructions tell you to bake it for 25 to 30 mins, however mine took a little longer than that.
Note: The ingredients list listed it as 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips, however I didn't weigh the amount I used.
Note: The instructions did not say how long to refrigerate the brownies + cookie dough, just saying 'until firm'. I left them about an hour without much change before continuing, and am unsure if it would have been better to leave it longer.
Note: I do not think enough cookie dough was made, as I wasn't able to get all of the cookie dough onto the brownies; so the image above shows some without.
Note: I am really bad at making brownies in the first place.

Combirating: OOO / OOOOO